6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, im getting ready to modify some magazines to allow for longer than standard C.O.A.L and before i ordered and broke out a dremel tool i figured i should ask which type and capacity are best suited to the task. Are 10rd mags too short to provide enough structural integrity or are they gtg? Are 15rd ones more preferable for the extra material that lies beneath the magwell even though they might not be able to be stacked as full with longer rounds? Ive done a bit of research as far as type and it seems like the consensus is PRI mags are a bit pricey to chop, and it seems like a wash between cpd and asc mags but i wanted to check with the guys who knew more than me before i settled on type/capacity. I read a couple times that asc provides the longest c.o.a.l without modding, so would this be the better start? Sorry if this is a newbie question, this is my first foray into modding mags like this and i definitely wanna get this right on the1st run outta the gate.

Thanks again for any input.

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
What is your purpose with longer COL? Range, hunting, SHTF, ...? How many rounds? Hunting, 2 to 4 rounds is all I need (for deer, 1 shot).

I use PRI

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your purpose with longer COL? Range, hunting, SHTF, ...? How many rounds? Hunting, 2 to 4 rounds is all I need (for deer, 1 shot).

I use PRI
I figured if i modded a mag to use longer than c.o.a.l rounds i would be modding it to hold as many rounds as the magwell would allow me to before the "window" dropped beneath the magwell.. This is for extra power on medium game (and maybe larger game), and maybe a bit of target work as well. Any input is greatly appreciated:)

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Since most of my reloads shoot sub MOA already I've never seen a reason to try and increase my OAL beyond what will fit in an ASC mag. Why bother and why ruin a perfectly good mag in the process. But, I'm old fashioned I guess. I rarely feel the need to fix what isn't broke.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I figured if i modded a mag to use longer than c.o.a.l rounds i would be modding it to hold as many rounds as the magwell would allow me to before the "window" dropped beneath the magwell.. This is for extra power on medium game (and maybe larger game), and maybe a bit of target work as well. Any input is greatly appreciated:)
By extra power, do you mean heavier, longer bullets? There's a fine line between what's practical to load and still retain the "power" or velocity for adequate expansion. I'm certain I'll take a lot of heat for this but, I know it has been done but, honestly, the 6.8 really isn't a large game caliber. Yes, I know that Elk have been taken with a 6.8 but, Elk probably have been taken with a 223 also...or even a .22 long rifle. For me, personally, if I was going to hunt Elk with my MHR I would have my AR10 in 308 or 260 Remington in my hands using as heavy a bullet and load as I could load. The too often stated challenge of hunting large, thick skinned, heavy boned animals with a rifle best suited for small to medium game too often leads to bad shots and wounded game without a perfect shot. It's just the fact that probably 75% of hunters out there are not skilled enough or capable enough to make a perfect shot under the pressure of that adrenalin rush that makes hunting with a marginal caliber even worse.

Mind you, I love the 6.8. Enough so that it's my primary deer hunting rifle out to 300 yards even for heavy Mule deer. But, for me, that's where I draw the line. I've seen a 250# Muley drop in it's tracks at 300 yards when hit with a Nosler 110 Accubond and another with a 110gr Pro Hunter at 250 yards. I passed on a huge 4 point at 400 yards and wished I'd had my 270 Winchester in my hand that day. Know your limitations and you rifle's true limitations is the best advice anyone can give you. If you're good you probably know you are. If you just think you are, you probably aren't that good.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i think you could use a 15 rnd cut mag to get 12 or 13 in the magwell. that is about max. ten rnd mags work great as well.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i think you could use a 15 rnd cut mag to get 12 or 13 in the magwell. that is about max. ten rnd mags work great as well.
Someone has said you can go to 11 or 12.
I have one I cut to 5 rounds and one to 10.
It does not really matter which you window as its open after the mod.
I dont think it matters if its a 5, 10 , 15 or 25 round mag you mod.
I personally find myself using the 5 round the most at the range or for hunting.

Yes you can get performance at a level a step up from mag length and shoot a variety of 130 and even 140 or 150 grain projectiles you cannot without being able to load long.
However as Lapriester pointed out if your goal is heavier or extended hunting you have to be really mindful of velocities and kinetic energy and stay within the opening thresholds of the projectile.
I personally have been focusing on the 130gr Federal Fusion pulls for hunting at 2.36 or 2.4 OAL.
I can get them moving 2700 fps at .5 MOA, Xmans testing showed they open into the low 1800's.
At sea level that puts me at 1006 lb-ft and 1868 fps @ 400 yards however there is 26in of drop to contend with as well.
At 5000 ft its at 1149 lb-ft and 1995 fps @ 400 yards with 24in drop.
The bullet would still open to 500 yards at my altitude but its dropped 48in

Now if I can get a 100 grain Accubond moving 2950 fps (which I dont think will be a problem, maybe 3000 fps, we shall see).
At 5000 ft its got 861 lb-ft of energy and 1969 fps @ 400 yards. with 23in drop.
Now I have yet to kill anything with these as its just been recently worked up but the numbers look pretty darn good.
In a 10 mph wind the Accubond drifts 17in
In a 10 mph wind the Fusion drifts 13.8in

So thats what I'm looking at hunting wise.
1 inch more drop, 300 lb-ft more energy and 3 inches less wind drift.

With targets being able to run high BC 130's puts in another league. 1000 yards is doable.
However if your only going to 500 yards you can get there pretty nicely without the modding as many guys have shown.

The biggest thing is BE CAREFUL!!!
You change one thing from what some of us are doing, brass, primers, powder lots, OAL anything at all and you have to start over.
As well please dont just run something we posted. Work up from 4 grains lower than a 34gr charge of LEVER or CFE. Thats where I started, and worked up slowly.

Dont think you can load longer and stuff more 2200 or 1200R or 322 or any faster powders in the case.
Thats not what we are seeing.

Its wildcatting, the results are nice but its NOT for someone new to reloading.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the replies, i will be very careful in my reloading endeavors and will certainly start 4gr low and work up checking for pressure signs the whole way. I probably wont even risk getting close to most of the published powder amounts here, i just want to be able to get more out of the spc ii chamber as it seems every factory load is to original sammi spec and i cant seem to find any full power spc ii factory loads. As far as the mags go, i kinda figured once the front was windowed it wouldn't matter which brand, but i figured itd be best to ask if there was a preference you guys had.

As far as 'larger game" the largest game around where i am at is whitetail, hogs, and black bear. The state (nc) is talking about opening an elk season but i doubt ill ever get to partake in that. Its more the idea of making your rifle "capable of" taking larger game/extended range shots rather than actually utilizing it that is the allure, if you guys know what i mean. Just wanting to get the most out of it, basically.

Once again i really appreciate the replies and input!

·
Registered
2,481 Posts
I have 2 old C Products LLC 15 rounders cut to take 12. That is the max you can fit before the window shows below the magwell.

·
Banned
1,883 Posts
By extra power, do you mean heavier, longer bullets? There's a fine line between what's practical to load and still retain the "power" or velocity for adequate expansion. I'm certain I'll take a lot of heat for this but, I know it has been done but, honestly, the 6.8 really isn't a large game caliber. Yes, I know that Elk have been taken with a 6.8 but, Elk probably have been taken with a 223 also...or even a .22 long rifle. For me, personally, if I was going to hunt Elk with my MHR I would have my AR10 in 308 or 260 Remington in my hands using as heavy a bullet and load as I could load. The too often stated challenge of hunting large, thick skinned, heavy boned animals with a rifle best suited for small to medium game too often leads to bad shots and wounded game without a perfect shot. It's just the fact that probably 75% of hunters out there are not skilled enough or capable enough to make a perfect shot under the pressure of that adrenalin rush that makes hunting with a marginal caliber even worse.

Mind you, I love the 6.8. Enough so that it's my primary deer hunting rifle out to 300 yards even for heavy Mule deer. But, for me, that's where I draw the line. I've seen a 250# Muley drop in it's tracks at 300 yards when hit with a Nosler 110 Accubond and another with a 110gr Pro Hunter at 250 yards. I passed on a huge 4 point at 400 yards and wished I'd had my 270 Winchester in my hand that day. Know your limitations and you rifle's true limitations is the best advice anyone can give you. If you're good you probably know you are. If you just think you are, you probably aren't that good.
"old style" thinkin is common but is not current.
modern bullet construction and design changes eveything your Daddy thought regarding caliber selection.
In my experience, i see more damage on game from a 6.8 barnes bullet than my 30-06 bonded bullets
recoil kills hunter accuracy more than anything, so a "marginal" caliber may be a better selection if the hunter shot it better, shot placement trumps everything. most hunters do not handle recoil well even if they think they do
I guide for black bear, the larger the caliber, the farther they run
heres my own hunt, 6.8 ttsx, DRT

1 - 10 of 10 Posts