6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm piecing together a (AR) 308. Available BCG's of interest are WMD, Black Rain Ordanance, Aero and some others. This will go on a CMT upper (DPMS). I want a quality product but trying to stay out of the $300+ options if possible. Also, avoiding the bargain price "Made in USA" no names, as they may or may not be alright. My preference is NiB or other higher end finishes and single ejector.

Opinions please on which available BCG to buy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Had a 6.8spc toolcraft bcg and extractor broke. They replaced it at no charge so definitely say customer service is g2g. Just built a 308 for cousin and put a KAK bcg in it. Big supporter of KAK stuff.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It seems the double ejector like KAK are popular. It seems that would weaken the bolt with an extra hole drilled in the face. Also looks like it would be harder on brass. This setup must have solved a particular problem someone had. Is it really necessary to have twice the ejector force?

Were ejection failures more of an issue with the newer chamber offerings? 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My Toolcraft DLC BCG arrived today from SpiceTac. It looks very nice. It is quite heavy however, and dwarfs my 6.8 BCG's and 6.3 oz heavier. The build is not completed but getting closer. Thanks for all input.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have three of the Brownells LR-308 BCG. They have the .070 firing pin and are black nitrided. I have had absolutely zero problems with them and they are in the $170 range.

·
Registered
14,090 Posts
PSA owns toolcraft now.
Aero is middle of the road.
The original 308 bolts were made from 8620, now most are made from Carp 158 or 9310 and both are easily 3 times stronger than they need to be as long as they are not melonite or Black Nitride treated.

·
Registered
871 Posts
It seems the double ejector like KAK are popular. It seems that would weaken the bolt with an extra hole drilled in the face. Also looks like it would be harder on brass. This setup must have solved a particular problem someone had. Is it really necessary to have twice the ejector force?

Were ejection failures more of an issue with the newer chamber offerings? 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, etc.
I have several hundred rounds of 243 through mine with a single ejector with out a single problem.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went with the Toolcraft DLC single ejector. The upper is built and the lower is waiting on a MBT to test fire. I did have a concern about the "fit" of the BCG in the upper. This is a CMT upper. There is a lot of slack/movement in the tail of the BCG when locked up. This is noticed with the upper removed and moving up and down where the BCG meets the buffer. There is about .050 play. I did notice a lot of slack in my AR15 uppers as well. Is this normal to have that much play in a large frame?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts