6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to think highly of SSA ammo but recently when changing over to copper due to CA's fun hunting rules, I am at a loss for the poor ammo quality.

I have been using SSA on an off for the last few years.

Recently a friend converted over to 6.8 for hunting and I was helping him get his rifle set up using 85gr SSA TSX Copper rounds.

At the range, the new factory made ammo proceeded to have all kinds of problems.
Number one was the pierced primers and smiley faces I was finding on the spent brass.
This was happening on 2 out of every 3 rounds and had me generally concerned that this was factory loaded ammo.
Each round fired seemed to be around 3 MOA at 100 yards and never had any kind of consistency.
This was after I cleaned the barrel well of all copper and then started using only copper rounds.
We also had issues with the rifle not chambering a round after each shot.
Changed mags and the issue seemed to continue...

Long story short...
After hours of tweaking the rifle and magazine with little results using SSA 85gr TSX ammo...
I loaded up the same rifle with 120gr Hornady SST and fired off 5 rounds at 1 moa with no failure to feed, and every round cycling perfectly.

Are there any other options for those that do not reload for Factory all copper ammo?

Any help would be appreciated.
Now my friend is thinking of selling his 6.8 and going with a different caliber that has more copper ammo available for CA hunters.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Hornady has GMX ammo loaded for the 6.8 thats all copper with a 100gr bullet.
And then I think Corbon is still loading the TSX, but the prices are way out of line.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Copper round.

What part of CA are you in? Only reason I ask is if you're close to me and your interested we could maybe get you some hand loads. If your interested let me know and then we can work out the in's and out's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What part of CA are you in? Only reason I ask is if you're close to me and your interested we could maybe get you some hand loads. If your interested let me know and then we can work out the in's and out's.
I live in Concord (Bay Area) and my buddy lives in Gilroy.
I guess my only option is to start reloading.
I've been meaning to get a space set up but I have too many other house projects going right now.

Bummed that I'm finding that my SSA ammo is such poor quality.
Thank you for reaching out to help.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Yeah SSA ammo took a nose dive recently. Sucks that you guys are restricted to all copper.

Looking forward to being back in Cali for vacation in a few weeks. Going to be stomping all over Gilroy-San martin-Morgan Hill area while I am there. Nice change of weather hot and dry instead of hot and humid.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.