6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the ultra-light concept down pat, now I want to build a heavy AR rifle for optimum accuracy. I'm thinking that a suitable set of billet receivers is the right place to start, something thick and stiff. I wonder what the NRA match rifle shooters use? Any suggestions? thx - CW

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I've got the ultra-light concept down pat, now I want to build a heavy AR rifle for optimum accuracy. I'm thinking that a suitable set of billet receivers is the right place to start, something thick and stiff. I wonder what the NRA match rifle shooters use? Any suggestions? thx - CW
I would have to say the Mega billet side charger set, the upper receiver is real beefy.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
my vote would be for Mega Arms, i really like them. i build others but usually don't keep them, i've got 7 Mega combos in my personal stash. i have 3 Aero M5E and a Falkor Defense in 308, the Falkor is well built but it's hard to build and pricey (about a third higher than Mega), the Aero M5's are growing on me tho. have 1 Aero M4 with an ARP Socom 6.8 in it, i'm going to move all that over to a Mega i have and put the M4E upper and Lower in the EE here, or might keep it and put an ARP 18" in 5.56 in it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
A heavier upper may help with a heavy barrel but as long as your takedown pins are nice and tight a good forged set it all you need.

Loose fitting pins can turn a 1/4" upper into a 1/2" shooter.

·
Registered
435 Posts
NRA High Power shooters rely on a good barrel screwed on by a good 'smith. Remember that the bolt locks into the barrel. The upper is nothing more that a holder.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thick and stiff huh? I think a high quality barrel, nice square receiver face, and tight barrel to receiver fit (blue locktite bedded if need be), barrel nut properly torqued, and a free float handguard are more important than the brand of receiver as long as it is in spec.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
Thick and stiff huh? I think a high quality barrel, nice square receiver face, and tight barrel to receiver fit (blue locktite bedded if need be), barrel nut properly torqued, and a free float handguard are more important than the brand of receiver as long as it is in spec.
true, but some brands come out of the box that way, and some need ummmm, massaging. i prefer out of the box good to go

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've had Mega, Seekins and Northtech and all are top notch but I prefer the Seekins and Glen has always been great when I've spoke with him.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Building a rifle heavier doesn't mean it will be more accurate. Heavy just results in less felt recoil which, in most cases, makes the shooter shoot better. Personally, I find billet receivers clunky and I've never seen a case where they resulted in more accuracy with a good shooter. BTW, tightness of the upper to lower receiver also does not usually results in better accuracy. People make way too big a deal out of that as well. I don't have a single receiver set that what anyone could possibly call a tight fit and I swap uppers around between lowers without virtually any accuracy differences. Oh, my uppers also shoot sub MOA with forged parts and lighter, less clunky weight and appearance so, if it really made a difference, I probably couldn't really tell anyway and it really wouldn't be worth the extra cost to make a difference I probably wouldn't see from rifles that are accurate to begin with.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I've had Mega, Seekins and Northtech and all are top notch but I prefer the Seekins and Glen has always been great when I've spoke with him.
These are my choices as well.
Northtech, Seekins then Mega for the billets.

A billet upper when constructed properly is a stiffer upper.
There will be less deflection of material.
How much that effects accuracy is for the individual to judge.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Only real reason I see to go with billet is if you are going to be milling the port or making a side charger, that will keep it stiff. Otherwise, a traditional set up is just fine for any match rifle. All my match rifles are built on standard uppers (trued) either A2 or M4. Even my heavy barrel upper doesn't flex (1.050, .936GB, .920, 24"). It holds sub MOA out past 500 yards.

-Alexander

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Mega for me. Be sure to check that your handguard will fit, most of the billet uppers have a larger area behind the barrel nut.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I appreciate the advice, everyone. I bought a Mega billet upper receiver, it arrived yesterday. As usual, the fabrication quality is excellent. My objective is heavy .223 rifle optimized for accuracy. I will use the lower assembly from my existing 5.56 rifle. It has a rifle-length buffer/spring in an Ace ARFX stock, and a primo Hiperfire trigger, ready to go.

Next on my wish list is a heavy-contour .223 match barrel with target crown, from a highly-regarded maker. Not sure if 20" or 24" length is best for benchrest accuracy. I want something I can drop in without need for final chambering by a gunsmith. Any suggestions in the barrel department? thx - CW

·
Registered
311 Posts
I appreciate the advice, everyone. I bought a Mega billet upper receiver, it arrived yesterday. As usual, the fabrication quality is excellent. My objective is heavy .223 rifle optimized for accuracy. I will use the lower assembly from my existing 5.56 rifle. It has a rifle-length buffer/spring in an Ace ARFX stock, and a primo Hiperfire trigger, ready to go.

Next on my wish list is a heavy-contour .223 match barrel with target crown, from a highly-regarded maker. Not sure if 20" or 24" length is best for benchrest accuracy. I want something I can drop in without need for final chambering by a gunsmith. Any suggestions in the barrel department? thx - CW
Top notch barrels and service at Compass Lake Engineering. I've ordered two barrels from them and have been extremely satisfied both times.
http://www.compasslake.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4

·
Registered
15 Posts
Seekins & Franklin lowers are what I currently have. The billet Wilson uppers are my upper preference. I've noticed the Wilson upper's bolt race is tighter than all of my others. With the upper off I can feel the difference when I wiggle the BCG side to side. Also in my searches I've read forged parts are superior in strength to billet parts but billet parts are more precisely machined & generally look nicer. Also I think the Wilson's upper tighter tolerances contribute to better overall accuracy.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I agree with Lapriester. If you want accuracy, put your money in a good barrel and bolt, and true the receiver. Secondarily, a good trigger. You don't need billet anything. It only adds extra weight, extra cost, and does nothing for accuracy. All mine are Aero uppers and lowers, with good barrels, and ALG/ACT triggers. They all are 1/2 MOA.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts