6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting back into my 6.8 ARP rifle and was wondering if the magazine options have improved. I have Barretts, PRIs and some older CP. Are any of the new mag offerings better? Looking to get some new mags and wondering which of the new offerings are better and available. All replies appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am getting back into my 6.8 ARP rifle and was wondering if the magazine options have improved. I have Barretts, PRIs and some older CP. Are any of the new mag offerings better? Looking to get some new mags and wondering which of the new offerings are better and available. All replies appreciated.
I have been using ASC stainless mags and have had no issues

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Pri are tank tuff and best especially if you are going to open the front to load long . ASC caught a little flak a few years back because a few of us had a problem with the sides flexing because , according to the company , some were not heat treated correctly but there great customer service replaced them with new magazines immediately and I have heard of no problem since . I use the ASC in 5.56 and . 300 bo . Super and sub and they work great .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,613 Posts
PRI are the absolute best in my opinion but they limit your ability to load longer than standard and they are expensive. ASC is what I use. Never had any problems.

Reactions: Waterloo Kid

·
Vendor
2,363 Posts
PRI are the absolute best in my opinion but they limit your ability to load longer than standard and they are expensive. ASC is what I use. Never had any problems.
PRI will load to 2.3, Barrett won't allow long than standard.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Uber reliable magazines is not a strong suit of the 6.8 SPC setup.
I had problems with ASC (aka AR Stoner) until I started trimming the front of the magazine down with a Dremel. The case rims got caught on occasion on the edge of the magazine. Barret came with the fronts deep enough without trimming. I say that in past tense as I hear Barret aren't made anymore. The one PRI I have is a small one, which works well.

·
Registered
689 Posts
At one time I altered a few mags to use longer OAL loads in certain rifles but had to be sure you marked long rounds well, had right mags for them when went in field but the coupdegrap was in real world testing. Once I nailed down the right process and load (all brass annealed, sized, trimmed, primer pockets uniformed flash holes deburred and sorted) discovered there was not enough additional accuracy to be worth the effort of modifying mags and loading long.

One of my most shot projectiles are Speer 90 grain TNTs. They are inexpensive and good for paper, training and varmints which is majority of my killing. Out of the box they shoot well but if going long distance they can be made much more accurate. Wife and I usually sit down with two to four 650 count boxes per session where all are "pointed" in a Whidden Bullet Pointing Die then meplat is trimmed in a meplat trimmer so tips of bullets are all perfectly centered and uniform. A TNT that's pointed and trimmed exhibits about 1" less drop at 500 yards and at 250 yards (my longest range close to house to train) group at least 1/2 MOA less or better. As I finish pointing and trimming wife sorts all by weight. We generally wait till have four boxes pointed and trimmed then she sorts all into four boxes, light, mid, heavy and short range training/barrel foulers if fall far enough out of the three main groups tolerances.

Use a scientific scale (got a $5,000 scale at auction when local defense plant making cruise missile parts closed) to sort the bullets so generally end up with about 400 to 600 in each pointed, trimmed and weight matched box. She also weight sorts all the cases into four groups and each bullet group is matched to a box of weight sorted brass. Drop our charges using a powder measure then trickle to dead nutts on. Wife will sit and pick out or add a single kernal of powder till the scale zeros. If she is not available when charging cases use a MEC automatic trickler to weigh charges as don't have her patience.

All bullets, cases and primer pockets are trimmed to most uninform we can do, all are weight sorted and matched with charges that fall within 1/10th of a grain (one to two kernals of powder) so all the work is done at the bench with a few extra steps that guarantee our loads are as consistent as humanly possible without having a million dollar ballistics lab as a major ammo manufacturer may have for development and data for reloading manuals. Able to load to standard OAL and still have first round cold bore accuracy out to 400 plus yards on varmints.

Having a magazine that lets me load to longer COAL doesn't do as much for accuracy as our meticulous bench work and don't have to worry about which magazines am using as long as the feed lips have been adjusted to present the bullet tips to the feed ramps at a consistent angle from magazine to magazine. Have all popular brands but know I have well over 100 ASCs as are inexpensive, stainless welded body and tough. The one thing I do as put them in service swap the factory springs for Tubb chrome silicone flat wire springs (learned this trick with AR 10 mags that may feed 6XC, 2 Fity-Hillbilly, 7mm-08, 308 or 338 Federal based on which rifle(s) chose to take to range or field. Before swapping to Tubb springs had mixed results and had to separate and tune mags to rifle/cartridge combo but not anymore. About to build a 358 Winchester AR 10 and not worried about mags at all. Same with my fat case AR 15s whether 6.8, 22 Nosler or others. In standard mags have at least six cartridges I run regularly and the Tubb springs have made that much easier. Buy what you want or can afford, if have issues return it or fix it. I have become a fan of stainless welded body mags that are inexpensive enough I can adjust till perfect then after swapping innthe Tubb springs I have a huge box of fresh springs for the day when or if I start having to replace worn springs like I do annually in my IPSC and IDPA single stack 1911s.

Reactions: earlytom

·
Registered
32 Posts
Obviously this thread is for ARs, but how about the mini-14 in 6.8? Just recently heard that the Ruger x39 mags will work with the 6.8. Anyone else heard this or have any experience with non-factory mags in the mini?
Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have quite a few of the older PRI mags and they run great. The newer waffle one that I have were a bit finicky at first. I have some 10 round E-Landers that area bear to load, really stiff spring, but seem to run fine.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts