6.8 SPC Forums banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after almost a year of looking, I finally found a Mossberg MVP LR in .224V. It's used, and the seller is being very reasonable with the price (considering they're no longer available new). I'll be meeting him Saturday to check it out and -- most likely -- purchase the rifle. He keeps offering me some of the ammo he has for it. I don't have the heart to tell him the reason I don't want the ammo is because I'm about to take the rifle apart. :LOL:

Having said all that, I see a couple of options for pre-fit barrels for the MVP series. Columbia River/Black Hole Weaponry, X-Caliber, and McGowen all seem to offer options, though I'm not sure McGowen offers the small (.875" - 28) shank.

So, of those (or any others you may know of that I haven't listed), which would you choose?

I'm picturing probably a 20", with a similar profile to the OEM Mossberg barrel. Any better options? Other ideas?

· Registered
83 Posts
I don't have any experience with any of them, except the X-Caliber; and my X-Caliber is on a LR-308. That being said my X-Caliber shoots very good with a variety of factory loads, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@alphasig built up an MVP I think
Yeah, he and I have been messaging for a bit now. I actually bought his OEM laminate stock months ago, in preparation for finding a rifle, since most of what I was finding were the chassis rifles.

The MVP LR has a more traditional stock, so it’ll be a toss-up as to which one I settle into.

· Registered
705 Posts
I don’t have experience with x-caliber. But I do with Columbia River arms and mcgowen. Both make great barrels. CRA I think has a pretty long wait, last time I looked. Mcgowen is what I have now on my mvp. They were pretty easy to deal with. they wanted my receiver and bolt and they headspaced it. Even after I said I was going to take it apart to cerakote it.

I need to order a TAC30 reamer and I spoke with mcgowen and they will chamber a barrel for me as long as I have the reamer and gauges. My next project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
19 Posts
I have two X-Caliber barrels active and two more waiting to get swapped into actions and cant complain with their performance and accuracy.
You might check with Bruce Finnegan who is the creator of the 7mm Valkyrie and many other wildcat rounds. He makes barrels for all sorts of actions and I believe he may have made some for the MVP. Search on here or FB for Bruce Finnegan, Mad Dog Weapon Systems, or the Mad Cater. You can also Google 7mm Valkyrie AR.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have two X-Caliber barrels active and two more waiting to get swapped into actions and cant complain with their performance and accuracy.
You might check with Bruce Finnegan who is the creator of the 7mm Valkyrie and many other wildcat rounds. He makes barrels for all sorts of actions and I believe he may have made some for the MVP. Search on here or FB for Bruce Finnegan, Mad Dog Weapon Systems, or the Mad Cater. You can also Google 7mm Valkyrie AR.
I’ve actually been in contact with Bruce via Facebook.
It’s looking like Columbia River, X-Caliber, and Bruce are all going to be comparable in price.
For those following along, which would you recommend, and why?

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Resurrecting this thread, as I've picked this project back up.

I installed a Tromix magazine well and trigger guard last night, and set the rifle into the OEM Mossberg sporter stock. I really like the direction this is going.

I think I've settled on a Columbia River Arms / Black Hole Weaponry / True Sporting Arms barrel. 18", Varmint profile (1.000" for 2.0", tapering to 0.800" at the muzzle), threaded 5/8-24, with straight flutes.

It turns out Pacific Tool & Gauge makes a barrel nut for the "mini" MVP action, as well as a suitable wrench for said nut. Once I get the barrel ordered (8-12 week wait), I'll get the nut, wrench, and a pair of headspace gauges headed this way.

I'm also strongly considering a Boyd's Platinum or Classic stock, in walnut, for this rifle...

· Super Moderator
1,982 Posts
If PTG has your items now, buy them in case they go OOS.

If they're OOS now but can backorder, order now. I hate having a project on hold waiting on a nut (other than the one assembling the gun!).

Here's a different stock option than Boyd's that I am considering for my ARP Savage, don't know if they have an MVP compatible stock.

· Super Moderator
12,609 Posts
ER Shaw will cut you a barrel to fit just about anything and they shoot.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If PTG has your items now, buy them in case they go OOS.

If they're OOS now but can backorder, order now. I hate having a project on hold waiting on a nut (other than the one assembling the gun!).

Here's a different stock option than Boyd's that I am considering for my ARP Savage, don't know if they have an MVP compatible stock.
That's a fair point. They show 50+ of the barrel nuts in stock. The wrenches are machined to order, 4-6 week wait. IIRC, the headspace gauges are the same -- made to order.

· Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, so here we go…

I acquired a barrel from a very generous individual (if he wants to reveal himself, that’s up to him…). It’s exactly what I had in mind for this rifle. There is some damage to the barrel shank, but tomorrow it will be in the hands of a machinist who should be able to get us rolling.

I’ve ordered a barrel nut, wrench, and headspace gauges from PTG. I also added a recoil lug and dowels, because why not? I’m aware that the MVP action doesn’t require a dowel, but once it’s apart it may get drilled for one.

Most of the PTG parts are made-to-order, so I figured it’d be best to get them started now.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts