6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have an ARP 16” 6.8 Scout Barrel and I am looking for a quality bolt for it, suggestions on which are best.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I run that very bolt with a 16" DD 5R 1:11 barrel. There are some interesting design features to aid in reliability and accuracy. The dual extractor spring design that's claimed to last 3x longer and provide higher force for the claw to grip the case rim, the relief channel all the way around the outer perimeter to allow grit / debris from interfering with how the case head interfaces to the bolt face (claimed to increase consistency of seating and possibly reliability under heavy fouling) and the lack of under cuts for the extractor pocket that weaken the two lugs on either side of the extractor on typical bolt designs.

The bolt is also NiB plated, mine cleans up quite easily and doesn't accumulate carbon residue like phosphate does. I will say this is the nicest AR bolt I've ever used. While they do not specify the material, I believe it is ASE 9310 which is around 7% to 10% stronger than Carpenter 158 and has become quite common. So you can either buy two Daniels Defense carpenter 158 bolts or a single LWRC.

I chose LWRC on this one. Since these are all new parts, no worries on head space and the lug lengths on the LWRC bolt are spot on to spec with my calibrated micro-meter.

·
Registered
14,219 Posts
I run that very bolt with a 16" DD 5R 1:11 barrel. There are some interesting design features to aid in reliability and accuracy. The dual extractor spring design that's claimed to last 3x longer and provide higher force for the claw to grip the case rim, the relief channel all the way around the outer perimeter to allow grit / debris from interfering with how the case head interfaces to the bolt face (claimed to increase consistency of seating and possibly reliability under heavy fouling) and the lack of under cuts for the extractor pocket that weaken the two lugs on either side of the extractor on typical bolt designs.

The bolt is also NiB plated, mine cleans up quite easily and doesn't accumulate carbon residue like phosphate does. I will say this is the nicest AR bolt I've ever used. While they do not specify the material, I believe it is ASE 9310 which is around 7% to 10% stronger than Carpenter 158 and has become quite common. So you can either buy two Daniels Defense carpenter 158 bolts or a single LWRC.

I chose LWRC on this one. Since these are all new parts, no worries on head space and the lug lengths on the LWRC bolt are spot on to spec with my calibrated micro-meter.
Lietner Wise (as in LWrc) is the person that first started using "9310" and founded LWRC. I found an engineering paper he wrote on it in 2007. Shortly after that a nurse and hardwood floor guy got Lietner Wise fired from his own company and they took over. A few years later they merged or were purchased by a large machine company. The first few years the nurse and hardwood guy ran the company they ran the heat treat on those bolts up so hard they were brittle and cracking but they figured it out a few years later. The bolt is a copy of the LMT but uses 9310 instead of Carp 158. LMT was a real military contractor so their parts had to meet military specs so they used Carp 158 even though 9310 had a better charpy value.
In 2007 I purchased 2 of the bolts made by Lietner Wise and ran a test. I fired 131 shots at a 3 gun match loaded to almost 70,000 psi. The bolt didn't break. That was the start of my superbolt. I increased the diameter around the cam pin hole and made larger radii at the base of the lugs to increase strength further and probably used a heat treat spec close to what Lietner Wise was using before the other 2 guys took over.
I did not want the cost to be 155 at a time the 6.8 was struggling and I wanted it to be easy to replace the extractor. I used plain 5.56 extractors that could be found anywhere and changed the area of the bolt to hold the extractor so they would snap over a 6.8 rim. At that time those LMT/LWRC extractors cost $50 instead of $7 like a 5.56 extractor does.

·
Registered
38 Posts
"best" is a relative term right? Pick what best fits your budget. For me a big thing I value is service. With H, I've never had an issue that he (at the time I was having issues) wasn't willing to fully support. I don't know what the other companies are like with their support so I can only speak from my experience. Hard to find anything these days so get what you can get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been running LH Stag BCG's for a while now with no problems. Wish I would have seen this post sooner because their .224 Valkyrie/6.8 SPC chrome & phos were on sale...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Didn't know all of the history behind LWRC, but that is interesting. Daniels Defense uses Carpenter 158 because it's mil-spec. Even though I really love their hammer forged chrome lined barrels for the incredible ruggedness, some times mil-spec is just a baseline. 9310 when done properly is certainly superior to mil-spec.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts