6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother called a few days ago and said he could not get the cylinder on his .38 S&W hammerless to open. He said the cylinder release was pushed all the way forward and he couldn’t see anything obstructing the cylinder. He talked for a minute and then realized the cylinder flange thingy, the half moon shaped piece of metal that covers both sides of the rear of the cylinder. Well, the left side was bent back towards the grip. He had it in his pocket, fell on a rock and obviously bent his pistol! He is in the process of finding a gunsmith that might be able to fix it.

I thought it was kind of funny. :a01: Who falls on their revolver and bends it!

·
Super Moderator
21,593 Posts
I bet that left a gnarly bruise that will be sore for a while. :a02:

·
Registered
834 Posts
I bet that left a gnarly bruise that will be sore for a while. :a02:
Several years ago while training dogs off horseback in S.D. my horse stepped in a badger hole. Off i went like a 180 pound sack of potatoes. I had my S&W 40 in a thigh holster. When I hit the pistol was ripped out of the holster and the magazine got ejected. YES there was one heck of a bruise.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:a01::a01::a01:

The worse spill I took was with a rifle slung over my shoulder. I was walking down hill and caught a stick, point first, on the front of my foot. My momentum kept me going forward while the stick held my foot and lifted it off the ground. I hit face first and my rifle hit me in the back of the head!

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I can't count the times in my younger days that I stumbled home in the morning feeling like my pistol was bent.::a44:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Buddy, that bent part is called the recoil shield and it is replaceable but may have to go to S&W.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Buddy, that bent part is called the recoil shield and it is replaceable but may have to go to S&W.
I will let him know. He was going to take it to a gunsmith but I am not sure if he has yet or not.

·
Super Moderator
21,593 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Buddy I steered you wrong on that recoil shield, its part of the frame. I listened to a pretty smart guy that was sure it was a replaceable part. My mistake for taking his word for it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Buddy I steered you wrong on that recoil shield, its part of the frame. I listened to a pretty smart guy that was sure it was a replaceable part. My mistake for taking his word for it.
No problem, I thought maybe it was a matter of changing out an entire side plate or something. I will let you know if or how it gets fixed.

·
Super Moderator
21,593 Posts
It could be, I don’t remember for sure. It’s one of the newer pistols, possibly a lightweight.
If it's a "J' frame, it'll be a 5 shot, if it's a 6 shot, it'll most likely by a "K" frame, when you get up into the .357 you're getting into the realm of the "L" frame and hybrids "L" frame with an "N" grip. And, then there's even bigger yet.

The point of my previous post. There's an exploded diagram to help identify the damaged part. The link should take you to Numrich's site and help you find out whether that affected part is available from them.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If it's a "J' frame, it'll be a 5 shot, if it's a 6 shot, it'll most likely by a "K" frame, when you get up into the .357 you're getting into the realm of the "L" frame and hybrids "L" frame with an "N" grip. And, then there's even bigger yet.

The point of my previous post. There's an exploded diagram to help identify the damaged part. The link should take you to Numrich's site and help you find out whether that affected part is available from them.
I looked over the chart. He definitely bent the left side of the frame but it could be that the only real problem to pistol is something broke internal with the cylinder release button. I have him take a look at it.

·
Super Moderator
21,593 Posts
I looked over the chart. He definitely bent the left side of the frame but it could be that the only real problem to pistol is something broke internal with the cylinder release button. I have him take a look at it.
I would suspect parts: 1; 2; 31. Numbers 1 and 2 can very easily be bent by doing that stupid "Bronson" thing that was so popular after his movie... flipping the wrist and slamming the cylinder shut.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would suspect parts: 1; 2; 31. Numbers 1 and 2 can very easily be bent by doing that stupid "Bronson" thing that was so popular after his movie... flipping the wrist and slamming the cylinder shut.

What!!! That is the only way to close the cylinder. :a06::a28:

He is suppose to bring it to me so I can look it over. You know, do the professional certified gunsmith brother thing.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
NO PIC so can't verify damage. However, he fell on the pistol. Now it won't close.

I would suggest the blow was so hard it popped the cylinder out of lock up......AND....bent the recoil shield. That's very hard to do. So damage is likely.

What has probably happened is.............the eject rod and/or the cylinder crane is now bent.
what to do: first check the ejection rod.......is it bent ...OR....is it loose. (common prob is rod gets loose and wiggles out and stops function)
second........take a close look at the crane section......is it bent?
The loose stuff can be tightened up. The bent stuff........especially the crane is a repair-maybe, or a replacement.
The bent recoil shield is fixed by placing between two boards....hit with hammer. Start soft go harder till it moves.

Keep in mind.......if bent too bad, it will break off

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
NO PIC so can't verify damage. However, he fell on the pistol. Now it won't close.

I would suggest the blow was so hard it popped the cylinder out of lock up......AND....bent the recoil shield. That's very hard to do. So damage is likely.

What has probably happened is.............the eject rod and/or the cylinder crane is now bent.
what to do: first check the ejection rod.......is it bent ...OR....is it loose. (common prob is rod gets loose and wiggles out and stops function)
second........take a close look at the crane section......is it bent?
The loose stuff can be tightened up. The bent stuff........especially the crane is a repair-maybe, or a replacement.
The bent recoil shield is fixed by placing between two boards....hit with hammer. Start soft go harder till it moves.

Keep in mind.......if bent too bad, it will break off
It won’t open but these things might still apply. As soon as I get the pistol I will post a few pictures.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts