6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

Looks like I'll be picking up an RCBS Supreme Master reloading kit. Found it for sale used but 'unused', still in the box, we negotiated $200 for the entire kit. I've been keeping my eye on equipment and I figured if I can get into reloading using 2nd hand equipment, then it'd be worth while.

I've been collecting brass over the last several years, and I plan to start reloading 9mm. Eventually I'll move on to 5.56 and 6.8. I know I'll still need a tumbler, calipers, and dies, but I think that might be about it in addition to this kit to start with. I figure from there I'll see what else I might need as I work through it.

Lots of great resources on this forum. I've read through several posts on starting with reloading several times, and I'm sure I will read through them again.

I'm wide open to suggestions if anyone has any.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Hi all,

Looks like I'll be picking up an RCBS Supreme Master reloading kit. Found it for sale used but 'unused', still in the box, we negotiated $200 for the entire kit. I've been keeping my eye on equipment and I figured if I can get into reloading using 2nd hand equipment, then it'd be worth while.

I've been collecting brass over the last several years, and I plan to start reloading 9mm. Eventually I'll move on to 5.56 and 6.8. I know I'll still need a tumbler and dies, but I think that might be about it in addition to this kit to start with. I figure from there I'll see what else I might need as I work through it.

Lots of great resources on this forum. I've read through several posts on starting with reloading several times, and I'm sure I will read through them again.

there is a sticky on all reloading equipment needed. Read that! I started with the same kit you have and one of my first purchases was an electronic scale.
also, i bought this bench: https://www.amazon.com/Stack--SO-38...470240029&sr=1-1&keywords=stack+on+work+bench

for rifle cases you'll def need a case trimmer.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Hi all,

I've been collecting brass over the last several years, and I plan to start reloading 9mm. Eventually I'll move on to 5.56 and 6.8. I know I'll still need a tumbler, calipers, and dies, but I think that might be about it in addition to this kit to start with. I figure from there I'll see what else I might need as I work through it.

I don't have much in the way of spares laying around, but I can send you a digital caliper ( needs a battery) as I switched to a manual one and haven't looked back.

Dies, I run RCBS, but lee is a budget friendly set you can get. Tumbler well any of them work.

Grab a digital scale.

Did you get anything in the way of case prepping?

I run a lee press mount quick trim and drill attachment for all my trimming needs.

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
is this the kit?
if it is, then nice buy for $200

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is this the kit?
if it is, then nice buy for $200
Yes, that is the kit.

I don't have any other tools yet, case trimmer, case prepping tools, etc. I know I'll need to get some of that stuff and I figured I would address those needs as I need them.

there is a sticky on all reloading equipment needed. Read that! I started with the same kit you have and one of my first purchases was an electronic scale.
also, i bought this bench: https://www.amazon.com/Stack--SO-38...470240029&sr=1-1&keywords=stack+on+work+bench

for rifle cases you'll def need a case trimmer.
That is the thread I've read several times! Tons of great info in there.

I don't have much in the way of spares laying around, but I can send you a digital caliper ( needs a battery) as I switched to a manual one and haven't looked back.

Dies, I run RCBS, but lee is a budget friendly set you can get. Tumbler well any of them work.

Grab a digital scale.

Did you get anything in the way of case prepping?

I run a lee press mount quick trim and drill attachment for all my trimming needs.
Thanks for the suggestions on the dies. I read somewhere that one brand tended to cause the brass to stick more than others, I cant remember which though. I will take you up on the offer on the digital caliper, I'll send you a PM, thanks for the generosity!

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
This is a must have for depriming before tumbling and resizing any brass
http://harveydeprimer.com/

I have deprimed thousands of cases with mine without damaging the depriming pin nor fouling my resizing die with grime from dirty cases. This way you can get rid of the pesky pins on your resizing die.
And very nice score on the master kit!

·
Registered
80 Posts
since you're going to be reloading 9mm. make sure you get carbide dies. then you dont have to mess with case lube on your pistol brass.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This is a must have for depriming before tumbling and resizing any brass
http://harveydeprimer.com/

I have deprimed thousands of cases with mine without damaging the depriming pin nor fouling my resizing die with grime from dirty cases. This way you can get rid of the pesky pins on your resizing die.
And very nice score on the master kit!
Too bad mine doesnt work on small primer lapua brass. Flash holes are too small. Will probably have to turn down the pin.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
since you're going to be reloading 9mm. make sure you get carbide dies. then you dont have to mess with case lube on your pistol brass.
Your suppose to use lube even on pistol?

I never lubed my 9mm stuff and don't run carbine dies either. After about 4k rounds loaded still no issue currently.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
Too bad mine doesnt work on small primer lapua brass. Flash holes are too small. Will probably have to turn down the pin.
Call him and ask him for the smaller pin. He sent me one but I do not remember which one it is in my pile. He does make the rod with the smaller pin.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Good buy, I bought basically the Horanady equivalent 3 years ago for the same price. It was new/used also but he didn't send the funnel and trickler that were supposed to come with it. Still a good deal. If you buy a digital scale don't buy one of the cheap ones that come w/ any of the starter kits. My Hornady scale changes constantly( by .1 or .2) whether the flourescent lights are on or off, I've checked level on the bench, it doesn't matter. Unless you're a BR guy chasing crazy numbers it probably won't really matter.
Best of luck

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
To the 'Beginner'

Nice and shiny, new looking brass is good but not a 'must' for reloading. I loaded for years and never cleaned brass without any problems. Same goes for high tech digital scales. Beam balance works great and produces very accurate reloads. I still only use my original equipment RCBS scale after 30yrs. Use ball type powders for best results with your powder thrower. I trim my cases with a hand crank and collet type RCBS trimmer and debur with my drill. Works great. Point being, you can never run out of upgrades to your reloading equipment but unless you're determined to be the next benchrest champion of the world, what you have will make some fine ammo if you do your part right. Enjoy you're purchase!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To the 'Beginner'

Nice and shiny, new looking brass is good but not a 'must' for reloading. I loaded for years and never cleaned brass without any problems. Same goes for high tech digital scales. Beam balance works great and produces very accurate reloads. I still only use my original equipment RCBS scale after 30yrs. Use ball type powders for best results with your powder thrower. I trim my cases with a hand crank and collet type RCBS trimmer and debur with my drill. Works great. Point being, you can never run out of upgrades to your reloading equipment but unless you're determined to be the next benchrest champion of the world, what you have will make some fine ammo if you do your part right. Enjoy you're purchase!
I appreciate the info. Would you mind linking the hand crank and collet type RCBS trimmer and deburing tool that you use? Sounds like this might be a reasonable way to go. No, I don't have the time to even pretend I'll be the next benchrest champion of the world.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i bought the little harbor freight chop saw for trimming, read about it here, used it for the first time monday, sure beats cranking on a trimmer. i bought, on a whim, a lyman electric processing unit, comes with all the cutters and primer pocket tools you would need. i use the lyman processor alot

·
Registered
80 Posts
What happened if you don't mind me asking
when he lowered the ram it only lowered the bottom part of brass and the top 2/3 of brass was jammed up in the resizing die. instead of fixing it he just went and got carbide dies and no problems since then.

i use Lee carbide dies for my 9mm loading.cheap and effective

1 - 20 of 27 Posts