6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think I have been in here for years, as real life has kept me busy. And I already had my pet loads, my guns were built, and I wasn't going to be worried too much about changing things up, as I had other projects. Now that I have some time, I figured I would see if there had been any groundbreaking changes with the cartridge, the chamberings, or anything else.

Right now I have my guns set up with 6.8 SPC II barrels and chambers. I have finally gotten all of my old large rifle primer cases out of my loading mix, and fully transitioned to cases using small rifle primers. My standard load is 27 grains of IMR 3130 under a 110 grain bullet. Either a Nosler Accubond, or a Sierra Pro Hunter. It is accurate enough for my hunting, and tends to leave exit wounds in pigs as wide as my thumb is long. I have been using these loads since around 2011. So, my question is this: Is there anything that has happened since I was last on here that would mean that I need to change things up? Is there a new paradigm out there that I am not aware of? Have people moved to lighter or heavier bullets? Is there some new wonder bullet out there that will magically work better on deer and pigs? Or is it reasonable for me to just continue on my merry way using what I have been using for the past decade?

-Mb

·
Registered
521 Posts
Depending on the weight of the bullets you want to run, AA2200, H/IMR 4198, H335 have all been good performers for me. 4198 for light bullets (85-100gr), 335 for heavy, and 2200 across the spectrum. Some guys have had good luck with CFE BLK with light bullets, but I was never able to get my guns to like it. Leverevolution gives good results in the heavy-for-cartridge weights (120-140).

I’ve pretty much settled on aa2200 for 90-115, and 335 for 115-120. LVR works good for the 130 bergers loaded long—out to 2.340” COAL with a windowed mag. 3031 is fine, but it can be tough to get enough powder in the case with the large grain size.

·
Registered
645 Posts
There is a “wonder bullet” that did come out. Cavity Back Bullets https://www.cavitybackbullets.com In 105 and 120 gr called the MKZ, all copper bullets. Reports claim that the expansion is significantly better than other hunting bullets.

In other news, some started loading long (>2.295”) with cut magazines allowing us to get closer to the lands. Also, ARP developed a new barrel with 3R vs 5R meant to cause less engraving force/pressure and perform better on the heavier bullets.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
2ond what dog company said about cavity back. They are very dependable expanders even at low velosisity. 2200 and h322.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts