6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I have been merrily depleting my stockpile of SSA ammunition, I have not been keeping up with the industry and now I am in trouble!

I see, today, for the first time, that Nosler has bought SSA and will not be loading "My" bullets in their brass. It is good that I have been saving all my spent brass, though. Even if they make good brass, it will be different, thus changing another variable in my loads.

I am shooting a 16" ARP barrel and Superbolt with the 110 gr. PH and TSX and AVERAGE < .5 MOA with these factory loads.

I will soon need to begin hand loading the brass I have saved.

Ordinarily this would be a shady thing to ask, but under the circumstances with Nosler and all, I am going to go for it any way. I don't mean to offend anyone, but desperate times, desperate measures.

Does anyone have a close match for powder / powder measure, and primers for the 110 gr, SSA PH and TSX?

Lastly, will the new Nosler SSA brass have the small primer pockets?

Best Regards,

SD

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
While I have been merrily depleting my stockpile of SSA ammunition, I have not been keeping up with the industry and now I am in trouble!

I see, today, for the first time, that Nosler has bought SSA and will not be loading "My" bullets in their brass. It is good that I have been saving all my spent brass, though. Even if they make good brass, it will be different, thus changing another variable in my loads.

I am shooting a 16" ARP barrel and Superbolt with the 110 gr. PH and TSX and AVERAGE < .5 MOA with these factory loads.

I will soon need to begin hand loading the brass I have saved.

Ordinarily this would be a shady thing to ask, but under the circumstances with Nosler and all, I am going to go for it any way. I don't mean to offend anyone, but desperate times, desperate measures.

Does anyone have a close match for powder / powder measure, and primers for the 110 gr, SSA PH and TSX?

Best Regards,

SD
The Nosler will be/is small primer.

What primer does your brass have?

Here is a bit:
110 ProHunter
SSA Brass (small primer)
29.5gr 335
2.295 OAL
CCI450 Primer
.5 MOA in my rifle.

110 ProHunter
Hornady Brass (small primer)
29 AA2200
2.295 OAL
CCI450 Primer
.5 MOA in my rifle.

110 ProHunter
Federal Brass (small primer)
29.7 10X
2.295 OAL
CCI450 Primer
.6 MOA in my rifle.

You can start a couple grains low and work up to these loads in your SSA brass even if its large primer.

From Others:
29.3gr 10X CCi 450 primers PH loaded to 2.3" no crimp 1/2-3/4" groups are pretty common from several different rifles - Constructor
Superbly accurate projectile for the 6.8. 29.4 gr H322, new SSA brass, WSR primers, 2.285" OAL - eastern_hunter
I'm loading 30.5g of H335 in used SSA brass, with CCI #41 primers - Hydro4570
SSA brass, Wolf RM, 29.6gr. H322 & comparator 1.827". - Pitbull

I'm only loading the 110TSX long so far.
Look here for more info.
http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?26986-110gr-Barnes-TSX-info

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have small primers.

Thank you for the detailed reply. You have given me a good starting point.

Are you doing any crimping?

Regards,
SD

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have small primers.

Thank you for the detailed reply. You have given me a good starting point.

Are you doing any crimping?

Regards,
SD
Some loads get a light crimp from a Lee Factory Crimp die, some dont.
If a load is creeping I give a light crimp.
If the brass has been fired a few times and not annealed I give it a light crimp to even out neck tensions.
Same if the brass has a mixed numbers of firings.
If I'm having trouble finding an accuracy node near a particular target OAL with a particular combination I may try a light crimp to see if it tightens up.
More times I find a light crimp tightens up groups and lowers ES/SD than not.
You will find many opinions on this.
Do you have to crimp? No
Can a crimp help? Yes
Have I found loads where a crimp hurts? Rarely but yes
ymmv

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upon further examination of the inner workings of my Lee Factory Crimp Die, the pattern looks exactly like the crimp on the SSA case mouth.

On reading the literature that came with the die, I learned something very interesting that I had missed a long time ago.

There is a statement reasoning about crimping for accuracy to produce uniform shot to shot bullet starting pressure, as benchrest shooters typically do, by seating out to the lands. I always seated out to the lands on my bolt action rifles, just because that is what precision handloaders are always taught to do. I never really asked why.

I do believe that I will be crimping.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

Best Regards,

SD
Nothing wrong with asking. That is exactly why I like my ARP barrels. Somebody's always got a load worked up for it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts