6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the 15th I ordered a .22 rifle from Cabela's. On November 16th I found my rifle somewhere else with out the 8-14 day wait. I called Cabelas/BassPro and tried to cancel the order. They won't do it. I made a mistake and used a debit card, I never do that and now I am reminded why. They have a hold on my bank account. They will not refund my money until they charge my card. They will not charge my card until the item is delivered to my local store. They have no idea when that might happen. They have no idea where the rifle might be coming from. They say they have the rifle, they just don't know where it is and when it will be shipped. The lady I talked with today told me they really hadn't taken the money out of my account, just a hold on it. That seems to be a differentation without a difference. The money might be there but the bank won't release it and treats it as if it's gone. The bottom line is it's all the computer's fault, it won't let them refund my money.
My first lesson here is don't use a debit card.
I forgot that card was a debit card, that's my only excuse.
My second lesson is that ultra big outfits like this are more burearucratic than the government.
So beware when you order from them, if you're not careful like me you can have you money tied up and not available to you, which is just the same as not having it until they decided they want to give it back to you.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When it comes in I won't be getting it. They have it marked as an abandoned order. So when it arrives they will at that point start the process to refund my money. That process is supposed to take 6 days. Apparently, Cabelas/Bass Pro have a lot of very ridged rules, that can't be overridden. But yes I will wait, and when they decided I should have my money for the return of an item that they have yet to ship and I have never received I will get it. I know your response is well meaning and sincere. I'm just a little pissed. Oh well, I'll get over it. I probably will not order from them online again.

·
Super Moderator
21,864 Posts
Good tip... since I only have a debit card... have had no use for a credit card for a number of years now. Note to self set up a single use debit card for such transactions.

·
Registered
401 Posts
The wife ordered some clothes from Cabela's a few weeks ago and now I can't stop the spam emails.
We are getting 2 or 3 a day.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Lesson to be learned..

Cabelas is overpriced anyway. Buy somewhere else

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cabelas has always been high priced. But usually, for me, I would buy from them because they had the item I needed. That was the case here, they claimed on the website they had the rifle, they cost a little more, but in these bad ole days finding something in stock is rare. But now I find they "have" the rifle, but they don't know where they have it. They don't know when it might be shipped or arrive. I know when I heard the news that Cabela's and Bass Pro would combine it would not be a good thing.
Ratdog, we have a long history on this site, so please let me share some unsolicited advice. I have debit cards and with this exception I haven't used them in years. Another learning experience from years ago. The bank hit my account with a $600 debit hold. Since I didn't debit anything and didn't know my account was down $600 it screwed up my finances. There was not enough money in the account to pay my normal automatic payments. Everything went sideways and it took months to get things straightened out. Some company ran my debit card thru twice causing the problem. The bank recognized it was a false charge, but like Cabela's in this case, they had their own schedule on giving me my own money back into my account.
So where I'm going here is I use a credit card, in my case a Southwest Airlines card. I use it for everything, gas, groceries, meals, everything. For me it works like a debit card in a way, because I never carry a balance. I pay the card off each time the bill arrives. And for me I get the airline points. I'm going to visit my daughter in Florida over Christmas and making my annual Texas Hog hunting trip in Feb all using my points. I have also found that resolving issues with the blood sucking credit card company has been easier than the blood sucking bank. I know there is a fine difference. If a bad actor gets ahold of your debit card number, they can empty your bank account and put you into a bind and have your money locked up until the bank decides they want to release your money back to you. And from my experience that can take a while. The more you put your debit card number out there, the greater risk you have. So with this exception I don't use them. If a bad actor gets my credit card number, and they have, all I have are some credit card charges that I don't pay. I have even had credit card investigators call me and ask if I was actually in New Mexico and Arizona making charges. I had been on a hunting trip with a buddy and he paid for the gas on the way down, I paid on the way back. So, they just saw charges originating on the Mexican border moving up into Colorado. One other advantage I have found with the cc, that insurance the rental car companies all ways try to sell you. You cc company will cover that if you use their card to rent the vehicle. You do need to read the fineprint some will limit the type of vehicle they will cover. If you check into the benefits the cc company offers you will be surprised what they will cover. I learned too late on a hunting trip where the flights were cancelled and I had to overnight at a hotel, they would have covered that. Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors for a reason and not everyone likes the same flavor, but that's how I use a cc and it's working for me.

·
Super Moderator
21,864 Posts
Oh, I get where you're coming from, and I'm not saying "hog-wash". My angle is: One account to sit dormant with a minimal balance. If/when I know I'm going to make a larger purchase, transfer funds into the account and use THAT account's debit card for the purchase. Now, they can only "hold" what I've got in THAT account.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts