6.8 SPC Forums banner

BCG Lube Question.

6K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  mogunr 
#1 ·
Ok newbie level question here.

What's best for a BCG, oil or lithium grease for a lube?

Since I'm breaking down a bolt to get the comsalline off, what would be good for it, Remoil or Lithium Grease?

#3 ·
+1 the FrogLube... READ/FOLLOW the directions. :a21:

#11 ·
Oil. Almost any gun oil on the market will do. Synthetic motor oil is popular too. I think Rem Oil is a little too thin for a BCG.
I agree with this. I've tried a little of everything. Lately I've been using EWL synthetic grease and love it. Doesn't collect dirt/dust, proved that claim on a
west Texas trip, and is very slick. When you work the charging handle it feels a lot smother than oil. I bought some at Primary Arms but you can get it on
Amazon. I use it on the contact area of the carrier, cam pin, bolt rings and sometime I put a little on the back side of the bolt lugs. I haven't tried frog lube
but hear a lot of good things about it too.

#6 ·
AeroShell 33MS for me on a new build's even more so on new BCG in the right places's,,, Just my newbie two penny's worth..
Seem to help things work a little smother as for being new, after a few hundred rounds I will clean and oil with good lube..

Question for the ones really in the know, I think I read it somewhere on the forum;; is Frog Lube not good for Melonite coating??

#13 ·
So far my take on things: Froglube: gets sticky FAST (few weeks in storage) Fireclean: AMAZING! product if you shoot often, but over time will gum up. Slip 2000 EWL: 90% as good as FC, but without gumming. Weapon Shield: I have used it, and consider Mr. Fennell a friend, but it just isn't my favorite product, being completely objective. RemOil: Does nothing well. MPRO7 LPX: Pretty good, but not the best at anything. Lucas EWL: Pretty darn good, but not quite as good as the SLIP or FC. Geissele/ALG oil: Really really good, and so far performing very well in my accelerated oxidation test. It is my current flavor of the month. Seems to have all the positives of Fireclean, without the gumming, but it may well gum in 2-3 years in storage, I can't say. Just my take on things.

#14 ·
My experience is, using the FrogLube as the directions advise... negates any of the complaints posted about it from some who do not use according to directions.

#15 ·
I've heard Froglube does nasty things to melanite finished barrels. I've found Mobil 1 red grease to be superb for sliding surface applications, and the old Triflon and similar teflon lubes great for everything else.

#17 ·
Grease has no place on an AR. Frog lube is great but if you are not using it, oil is what is called for. Oil and in very small amounts.
The one and only time grease is called for is when installing the barrel nut.

#22 ·
Is this thread centered on storage or function? What little of AR's I know I have been told to run it wet. If it aint spitting on ya it aint wet enough. I like CLP a lot and use it after cleaning but at the range I get out the cheap Rem oil if I shoot more then 10 rounds, keeping it wet. It always cleans up easy and nice.

#23 · (Edited)
If I recall the TM correctly it says two or three drops rubbed on the entire carrier is adequate. One drop for the bolt itself. Running wet is something I have never done and never will. It serves no purpose that I have ever seen.
This is from a study guide: http://www.armystudyguide.com/content/SMCT_CTT_Tasks/Skill_Level_1/0713112025-sl1-maintain-a.shtml
c. Clean the following rifle parts, lightly lubricating with CLP (figure 071-311-2025‑22).

(1) Lugs in the barrel extension, bore, and chamber.

(2) Bolt carrier.

(3) Slide cam pin area.

(4) Piston rings.

(5) Outside the bolt body.

(6) Inside the bolt carrier key.

(7) Firing pin and firing pin recess.

(8) Outside surface of the protruding gas tube with a worn bore brush.

(9) Buffer.

(10) Action spring.

(11) Inner surfaces of the lower receiver extension.

(12) Inside the lower receiver.

(13) All other components.

Here is the TM if you want to study it. https://archive.org/details/ArmyTechnicalManualforM16Rifle-Tm9-1005-249-23p

#26 ·
Iraq vet/armorer here. Only the machine guns stayed wet. M16s got a few drops on the bolt and bcg and spread around with a finger. Wiped/lubed and bore punched daily. Buffer/spring wasnt ignored either.

Using frog lube now with manufacturer directions of stripping petroleum product and cooking in FL the first time. Only gumminess is where I didnt do a good job removing oil.

#29 ·
Iraq vet/armorer here. Only the machine guns stayed wet. M16s got a few drops on the bolt and bcg and spread around with a finger. Wiped/lubed and bore punched daily. Buffer/spring wasnt ignored either.

Using frog lube now with manufacturer directions of stripping petroleum product and cooking in FL the first time. Only gumminess is where I didnt do a good job removing oil.
Well played, you seem to have shut this discussion down!
Personally, i've go a container of FrogLube on my bench and no service record. But thank you for yours.

#27 ·
think the keep it wet came from the early M16's, if run semi dry it's a jam looking for a place to happen.

i don't keep them wet, i do soak them for a couple of days in CLP, remove from the CLP bath and let them drain (do the same with the carrier too), wipe the excess off. put a drop on the rings, a semi drop on ejector and work it with a dowel, drop in the extractor pivots, couple of drops on my fingers and rub it down before completing the carrier. couple of drops on my fingers and spread over the carrier. work the bolt back and forth by hand with a drop spread behind the lugs, and a little bit on the cam pin. wipe off any obvious collections of lubricant and good to go. at least so far

#31 · (Edited)
I use machine gunners lube from sprinco.

straight from their web:

MACHINE GUNNERS LUBE™
Machine Gunners Lube™ was developed to address specific requests from gun team leaders for a lube that would keep their machine guns properly lubricated during extended durations of full auto fire. Like most good gun teams, they work hard to stay on top of not letting the guns run dry. While many currently available lubes maintain lubricity when running "wet", some current war zone deployments do not favor traditional frequent and liberal applications, due to their propensity to attract fine desert silt particles, thereby increasing the risk of malfunctions. Our mission was to formulate a lube that would perform and protect weapon platforms in extreme environments subject to high heat, humidity, evaporative, and mechanical wear, even when applied lightly. Machine Gunners Lube™ meets these standards for all firearms ranging from handguns through .50 caliber machine guns.

Machine Gunners Lube™ is made from fully synthetic Group V base stocks. Poly Ester chains in Group V base stocks offer superior protection against thermal breakdown versus PAO's and GTL's, and contain significant natural solvent properties for self cleaning capabilities. In addition to minimizing carbon accumulation, the Poly Ester base oil acts as a water dispersant and corrosion inhibitor, protecting the lubricated parts in desert, jungle, and arctic climatic environments. Unique to Machine Gunners Lube™ is a proprietary re-micronized (0.3 micron) inhibited Molybdenum Disulfide (MOS2) component in colloidal suspension. In layman's terms, this means that the particles remain suspended within the lubricant, and do not segregate to the bottom of the container. Our inhibited MOS2 is specifically modified to retard, rather than induce corrosion. This moly component allows for a solid lubrication barrier in conjunction with the hydraulic lubrication afforded by the host synthetic lubricant. The re-micronized particles are small enough to penetrate the molecular lattice structure of the carbon, stainless, or chromium plated steel working surfaces of the weapon, where they are released under the heat of use to maintain the initial solid or "boundary" lubrication layer. No other moly additives on the market contain particles this small, nor do they share the unique ability to remain in colloidal suspension. Our proprietary manufacturing process allows the uniform distribution of the re-micronized MOS2 both within and upon the lubricated surfaces of the weapon. This ability provides a further advantage over other gun oils in the form of lubrication retention when the host / hydraulic lubricant is removed by mechanical, chemical, or environmental means. Basically, the weapon is still protected and has a functional advantage even when appearing "dry". The melting point of the MOS2 component is in excess of +2700°F !!! MSDS Available upon request to info@tacticalsprings.com.
  • High shear strength, and not susceptible to mechanical wear. High shear strength equates to increased surface tension, which in turn, keeps your parts coated for extended durations. This property also allows the use of Machine Gunners Lube™ for personal carry firearms, as it does not "run off" the pistol.
  • Stability in extreme heat, maintaining lubrication properties in temperatures exceeding +650°F.
  • Pour point of -50°F for reliable use in arctic deployment.
  • Contains NO Chlorinated Esters or PFTE (TEFLON®.)
  • Reduced carbon fouling deposition, and detergent properties make cleaning residue much easier and faster, even with .50 caliber platforms.
  • Available "Battle Bottle™" containers are sized to fit in any spare battery storage compartment found on most carbine platforms (grips, vertical foregrips, stocks) allowing the operator quick access to an ample quantity of lube in the field prior to return to FOB.
  • Unconditional "NO B.S." Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee!

http://www.sprinco.com/tactical.html

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.