6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok newbie level question here.

What's best for a BCG, oil or lithium grease for a lube?

Since I'm breaking down a bolt to get the comsalline off, what would be good for it, Remoil or Lithium Grease?

·
Administrator
22,085 Posts
+1 the FrogLube... READ/FOLLOW the directions. :a21:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Oil. Almost any gun oil on the market will do. Synthetic motor oil is popular too. I thimk RemOil is a little too thin for a BCG.

·
Registered
822 Posts
AeroShell 33MS for me on a new build's even more so on new BCG in the right places's,,, Just my newbie two penny's worth..
Seem to help things work a little smother as for being new, after a few hundred rounds I will clean and oil with good lube..

Question for the ones really in the know, I think I read it somewhere on the forum;; is Frog Lube not good for Melonite coating??

·
Registered
93 Posts
Oil. Almost any gun oil on the market will do. Synthetic motor oil is popular too. I think Rem Oil is a little too thin for a BCG.
I agree with this. I've tried a little of everything. Lately I've been using EWL synthetic grease and love it. Doesn't collect dirt/dust, proved that claim on a
west Texas trip, and is very slick. When you work the charging handle it feels a lot smother than oil. I bought some at Primary Arms but you can get it on
Amazon. I use it on the contact area of the carrier, cam pin, bolt rings and sometime I put a little on the back side of the bolt lugs. I haven't tried frog lube
but hear a lot of good things about it too.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I use Tetra stuff. Never had issues on any firearms I use it on. Never had it "go away", harden or anything else. I use a small paint brush to apply it to everything.

Save the remoil for hinges.

·
Registered
89 Posts
So far my take on things: Froglube: gets sticky FAST (few weeks in storage) Fireclean: AMAZING! product if you shoot often, but over time will gum up. Slip 2000 EWL: 90% as good as FC, but without gumming. Weapon Shield: I have used it, and consider Mr. Fennell a friend, but it just isn't my favorite product, being completely objective. RemOil: Does nothing well. MPRO7 LPX: Pretty good, but not the best at anything. Lucas EWL: Pretty darn good, but not quite as good as the SLIP or FC. Geissele/ALG oil: Really really good, and so far performing very well in my accelerated oxidation test. It is my current flavor of the month. Seems to have all the positives of Fireclean, without the gumming, but it may well gum in 2-3 years in storage, I can't say. Just my take on things.

·
Administrator
22,085 Posts
My experience is, using the FrogLube as the directions advise... negates any of the complaints posted about it from some who do not use according to directions.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
My experience is, using the FrogLube as the directions advise... negates any of the complaints posted about it from some who do not use according to directions.
I've heard Froglube does nasty things to melanite finished barrels. I've found Mobil 1 red grease to be superb for sliding surface applications, and the old Triflon and similar teflon lubes great for everything else.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I've heard Froglube does nasty things to melanite finished barrels. I've found Mobil 1 red grease to be superb for sliding surface applications, and the old Triflon and similar teflon lubes great for everything else.
That's Bullfrog not Froglube

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Super Moderator
12,229 Posts
Grease has no place on an AR. Frog lube is great but if you are not using it, oil is what is called for. Oil and in very small amounts.
The one and only time grease is called for is when installing the barrel nut.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
i soak new bolts and carriers in old USGI CLP for 2 days, then use the same for assembly after i've let the soaking CLP drain off. works for me

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.