6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up some Barret 115 gr BTHP 6.8 ammo today at the local fun store. It is rumored that SSA loads it for them, or maybe not so much of a rumor and more fact. Anyways my question is, is this ammo loaded "hot" or is basically SSA's commercial load?
Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
As far as I know, no one has chronographed it yet so I don't know. But my guess is it will be commerical power, between 2450 and 2500 fps from a 16" barrel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,877 Posts
Barret tells you nut to run Combat loads in there guns and Barret's sun did a press conference tipe thing saying he thinks combat loaded are to hot for any gun and should not be used so i rely don't they are loaded hot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
I saw that note from Barrett as well and don't get it. Speaking with Art at SSA, you can use the combat loads, I do, in a REC7 if the chamber is modified as extensively discussed on this forum. I have no issues with the combat loads after the chamber upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
Our Combat load in our OTM's are at 53,000 PSI with a Piezo transducer and it was varified by a third party, to be precise General Dynamics thru a SAAMI spec chamber and rifling, SAAMI max allowed is 55,000 PSI. A Spec II chamber will drop the pressure another 3-4,000 PSI, which we recommand as the minum requirement to shoot the combat loads.

Weapons can and do increase pressure's as varified by Constructor, Tim W and HTR. So called "Hot loads" is relative to the weapon it is being used in, things like over chroming, poor chambering, gas port size and its location as well as rifling issues can over pressure an otherwise safe round.

A case in point: why can some guns eat the combat loads with no issues while others can not, the ones that can not "Blame the ammo". and for those weapons we make commercial loads. You do not shoot a 5.56 round in a .223 chamber weapon, or do you "Blame the Ammo" as being too hot.

Art - SSA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Art, my two LWRC's are the new CHF barrels with SPCII chambers, 14.7" and 8.5", and I have fired all of your available combat loads through them both...after I heated them up with a few mags of various reloads. They were 100% reliable and showed no signs of pressure. So, if your 115gr OTM combat's run 53,000 psi in a saami chamber then out of my LWRC's with SpecII chambers and with that salt bath nitraded finish I guess the pressures are around 49 to 50K?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
rcrandall said:
Art, my two LWRC's are the new CHF barrels with SPCII chambers, 14.7" and 8.5", and I have fired all of your available combat loads through them both...after I heated them up with a few mags of various reloads. They were 100% reliable and showed no signs of pressure. So, if your 115gr OTM combat's run 53,000 psi in a saami chamber then out of my LWRC's with SpecII chambers and with that salt bath nitraded finish I guess the pressures are around 49 to 50K?

You are correct with regards to the pressures, and our powders are flash surpressed and are very temperture stable with a rise of under 5,000 PSI at +125 degrees. This is well within Military guide lines, at +125 degrees we are allowed to be over the 55,000 PSI but we are not with a spec II chamber.

If your weapon manufacturer tells you not to shoot the combat loads then do not. The combat load is a high preformence round only to be shot from a high preformence weapon that is properly configured.

Would you run high octane gas in a 6 cylinder Mustang and regular bump gas in a Shelby Mustang, Hell they're both Mustang's. AR'S are not created equal know your weapon and what it can handle.


Art - SSA
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
I am new to the 6.8 and just picked up an upper about 2 days ago. It is one of the original KT uppers with a 9.5:1 twist and the SPCII chamber. The previous owner told me he has put just about all SSA ammo through it, but he told me to stay away from the combat loads. Just to be on the safe side, how do you tell the combat loads from the others when buying from the factory. Does the label or the information about the bullet specifically say "combat load" or is there some other type of marking or label to look for such as "OTM".

If anyone could tell me which types ammo from SSA are considered combat it would be very helpful, I just want to be completely positive as to which ammo to stay away from. Also, are there other companies that manufacture and sell combat rounds as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,318 Posts
buckNrut said:
I am new to the 6.8 and just picked up an upper about 2 days ago. It is one of the original KT uppers with a 9.5:1 twist and the SPCII chamber. The previous owner told me he has put just about all SSA ammo through it, but he told me to stay away from the combat loads. Just to be on the safe side, how do you tell the combat loads from the others when buying from the factory. Does the label or the information about the bullet specifically say "combat load" or is there some other type of marking or label to look for such as "OTM".

If anyone could tell me which types ammo from SSA are considered combat it would be very helpful, I just want to be completely positive as to which ammo to stay away from. Also, are there other companies that manufacture and sell combat rounds as well.
When you buy the SSA ammodirectly from SSA, just tell them you want the commercial load. Or you can order them from the wewebsite.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts
kalwasart said:
rcrandall said:
Art, my two LWRC's are the new CHF barrels with SPCII chambers, 14.7" and 8.5", and I have fired all of your available combat loads through them both...after I heated them up with a few mags of various reloads. They were 100% reliable and showed no signs of pressure. So, if your 115gr OTM combat's run 53,000 psi in a saami chamber then out of my LWRC's with SpecII chambers and with that salt bath nitraded finish I guess the pressures are around 49 to 50K?

You are correct with regards to the pressures, and our powders are flash surpressed and are very temperture stable with a rise of under 5,000 PSI at +125 degrees. This is well within Military guide lines, at +125 degrees we are allowed to be over the 55,000 PSI but we are not with a spec II chamber.

If your weapon manufacturer tells you not to shoot the combat loads then do not. The combat load is a high preformence round only to be shot from a high preformence weapon that is properly configured.

Would you run high octane gas in a 6 cylinder Mustang and regular bump gas in a Shelby Mustang, Hell they're both Mustang's. AR'S are not created equal know your weapon and what it can handle.


Art - SSA
Art isn't Barrett ammo made by SSA?
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top