6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not all flash hiders fit all barrels.
Model 1 sales and some if not all Stag barrels have a 1/2-36 thread same as a 9mm AR.
most 6.8 barrels have 5/8-24 threads the same as the 308s.
most flash and brakes also have 5/8-24 thread but the 6.8 Smith vortex has 1/2-28 or 9/16-24,
Their 308 vortex has 5/8-24.
I don't know who sells a 6.8 barrel with 9/16-24 thread or 1/2-28 so who buys the 6.8 Smith Vortex?
It appears the LMT 6.8 barrels have 1/2-28 thread so be careful not to screw a 5.56 flash on your LMT 6.8.-thanks BillBond

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Why would LMT do that with the same threads as a 5.56? I'm sure their liability insurance carrier would love to hear about this.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
LMT has changed their threads to the 5/8x24. My LMT 16" SPC barrels has the 5/8x24 threads. I don't know when they changed it.

·
Registered
384 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
:?: I'm looking to replace the flash hider in my stag model 5L 6.8 mm. Do you guys knows the specifications? Is it 1/2- 36 thread? Where I can get a flash hider for my STAG?

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
ethielr said:
:?: I'm looking to replace the flash hider in my stag model 5L 6.8 mm. Do you guys knows the specifications? Is it 1/2- 36 thread? Where I can get a flash hider for my STAG?
Get one from STAG or you can buy an adaptor from PWS that will convert your 1/2x36 threads to the 5/8x24 threads.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
ethielr said:
What type of Flash Suppressors should I use? Any reccommendations? Thanks
MUZZLE DEVICE:

a. Flash Hiders:
For most uses I would go with a Flash Hider over a Muzzle Brake. Muzzle brakes are generally too loud and the recoil of the 6.8SPC is not that bad to begin with. Here are some of the best Flash Hiders:

1. Smith Enterprises Vortex.
2. Saylors Machine Phoenix.
3. Vltor VC-301 and VC-302.
4. A2 Flash Hider.

b. Muzzle Brake:
If you are into competition shooting or happen to live in a Communist State like me, then the Muzzle Brake is a good/only choice. For competition shooting, here are some of the best choices:
1. JP Tactical Compensator.
2. MSTN/PRI QC Brake.
3. FSC30.
4. DNTC 308.

c. Muzzle Brake/Flash Hider:
I made a third category for this because there is a device that is actually considered a Muzzle Brake, but it also does a good job at cutting down the flash to the level of an A2. The FSC30 from Primary Weapons is the only Muzzle Brake/Flash Hider out there and I highly recommend it. Even if I didn't live in a Communist State, I would still use it on my 6.8SPC or any other caliber.

1. FSC30.

http://68forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1224

·
Registered
1,098 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I emailed Smith enterprise and he told me I can use the 9MM Vortex in 1/2 36 TPI. My question is, is it going to affect the accuracy and performance of the rifle? Please advice. Thanks

Ethiel

·
Registered
364 Posts
ethielr said:
I emailed Smith enterprise and he told me I can use the 9MM Vortex in 1/2 36 TPI. My question is, is it going to affect the accuracy and performance of the rifle? Please advice. Thanks

Ethiel
I used the 9mm vortex on a doublestar barrel with 1/2x36 threads....there are no noticeable differences.

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I decided to move my questions from the Flash Suppressor Videos to a more appropriate thread. Maybe a stupid question but would the VLTOR VC-65 (6.5 Grendel version) work on the Bushmaster 6.8 Carbine? Paulo recommended ADCO for machine work to shorten and re-thread the barrel...Thanks Paulo! I like the Bird Cage style but don't want to have to use a .308 monstrosity if I don't have to! I'm trying very hard to keep everything as small and low profile as possible. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts