6.8 SPC Forums banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
There has been a limit of 2 but the same people get on every morning and buy 2 so I just changed the limit to 1 to give more people a chance.
Trying to make 2 orders may get both cancelled.

·
Registered
124 Posts
On the bright side of things, all of these clearly evil attacks on traditional American ideals, on gun owners / 2A supporters, on Christians, Conservatives etc. has boosted fire arms sales and ammuntion sales to record levels. Should give them plenty of cash to fight it out in the courts when these wack jobs decided to try to violate the Bill of Rights, starting with, you guessed it, the 2nd amendment.

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #66 (Edited)
I'm going to let things die out until the 21st. I have so many orders in the process it will take me a month to catch up. Just need a breather for a few days.

Reactions: Highside

·
Registered
12 Posts
It doesn't really matter but everything I have read states just the opposite. 416R will usually be more accurate but 4150 will outlast it and stand up to heat better. Most people will never shoot out a barrel regardless of what material it is made of. 3-4 thousand rounds is plenty for most people.
Just an aside. A lot depends on how the Rifling is done. Cold Hammer Forged 416R Barrels will outlast button pulled 416R barrels and 4150 barrels. Some have even or outlast CHF 4150 Barrels that have melonite or chrome. The problem with Chrome and Melonite is that they apply unevenly and they wear unevenly as well.

You are right that 4150 will outlast a 416R if used in a FULL AUTO situation, but 99% of Civilian rifles aren't Full Auto so people aren't likely to notice..

The ones who do are your 3gun Match shooters. Because they put thousands upon thousands of rounds through them every year.

I mention this only because this is what I've spent the last 5 years on.

·
Super Moderator
12,053 Posts
Just an aside. A lot depends on how the Rifling is done. Cold Hammer Forged 416R Barrels will outlast button pulled 416R barrels and 4150 barrels. Some have even or outlast CHF 4150 Barrels that have melonite or chrome. The problem with Chrome and Melonite is that they apply unevenly and they wear unevenly as well.

You are right that 4150 will outlast a 416R if used in a FULL AUTO situation, but 99% of Civilian rifles aren't Full Auto so people aren't likely to notice..

The ones who do are your 3gun Match shooters. Because they put thousands upon thousands of rounds through them every year.

I guess that we will just have to have differing opinions on the subject. I said I would be fine with untreated 4150 and I stick by that statement. The rest of you experts are certainly welcome to your opinions.

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

How is melonite applied unevenly or better yet what do you think Melonite is?

Reactions: Woodstock

·
Registered
14,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes, just my opinion. -CHF barrels are not known for accuracy, a lot of stress is induced during the forging process. From my experience most AR stainless barrels are no more accurate than 4140 or 4150 because they are made the exact same way made by the same companies that make the 4140 and 4150 barrels.. Many uninformed people think all stainless barrels are match grade barrels but they are not. High end barrels made by some companies are generally more accurate but not always especially when talking about accuracy out of an AR.
Krieger, Broughton, Bartlein are the top 3brands out of hundreds I made from 2007-2009, Other brands stainless is very soft, the ones that break in faster also wear out faster. Some are not straight at all and should not be called match grade, not even close. Some people consider this one brand to be some of the best but the blanks cost $50 which is a low cost blank, high end blanks cost $300, chambered and finished poorly they are middle of the road. If they are chambered and finished correctly they are 80% anyway.
Trying to judge the accuracy of a brand from 1 example is a mistake. If I wanted a 1/4 MOA barrel I might spend $500 or $600 on a Krieger but if 1/2MOA was good enough I would not.

·
Registered
144 Posts
All I know is the the ARP barrels I have used for myself or anyone else have shot great for us on whitetails. Taking them out of the field and to the bench have always been MOA or better when the shooter has their act together. Just got 2 more 16" and my first 12.5" ordered.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts