6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
14,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To start the 16" 6.8 are here, the 12.5s will be here next week both are 4150 Melonite
11.5" and 14.7" 6.8s may be here the first of Feb and they will be 4150 Melonite treated, They have been drilled so it is too late to change those to stainless.
18" 223s and 20"6.8s may not be here until March, they will be stainless.
18" 6.8s and 16" 223s late March and they will be stainless.

I have been having problems with the companies that Melonite treat the barrels consistently for 12 years, I am finished fighting with that group of people.
I'll try to spec out the stainless on the high end of hardness to help make them last as long as possible. I've never had anyone say they have worn out a stainless barrel but still I'll do what I can.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
Personally I would be fine with just 4150 but that leaves the problem of how to finish them. Blued, phosphated, cerakoted etc.

·
Registered
199 Posts
So for those of us that use 6.8 in a little different manner (fighting gun), do you know of any other manufacturers that make melonited barrels? I realize you'd be giving business away, but stainless won't do for high volume shooters and I'd have a hard time giving up the benefits of 6.8 SPC for the sake of shooting out barrels constantly. My criteria for a barrel being shot out in a fighting gun is 2MOA or better.

If it can't hold 2MOA it's not acceptable. The US Army requires only 4.5 MOA or better on a service rifle, pretty sloppy! You wouldn't be able to reliably engage anything past 200 yards and that's not accounting for shooter error in real world conditions....I typically shoot 1,500 to 2k rds a year. Most 3-gun barrels are 4150 melonited and can hold around 2~3 MOA til about 15k rounds in common 5.56 loads, so I'd think the 6.8 with a 3R rifling and it's lower pressures shooting factory loads would match or better that with the same barrel material and surface hardening....but I've been wrong before.

BTW just ordered a 2nd 16" 3R Scout barrel, this is such an awesome barrel for a 6.8 RECCE rifle. And I'm not sure if it's 6.8 in general or the combination of melonite and 3R rifling, but this 6.8 upper runs notably cooler than my 5.45 training upper did with traditional 4 grove (both are 16" barrel lengths).

Even if your not using the advantages of the 3R + DMR chamber in terms of hand loads, the other advantage would be lower throat erosion on factory loads and longer bolt life due to the lower chamber pressure and heat. So you can either tap into the 3R rifling and DMR chamber for added balistic and terminal performance or run factory loads for longer life span / reliability. Again, I like OPTIONS and reliability is of the utmost importance for a fighting gun, it just has to work.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
PERK 12.5" barrel in a week? Oh Boy......Xmas IS here.
mememememeemememememememememe....I need one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Personally I would be fine with just 4150 but that leaves the problem of how to finish them. Blued, phosphated, cerakoted etc.
Bare 4150 wouldn't last as long as 416R based on studies I've seen. Maybe 3R rifling and the DMR chamber will help, but with 5.56 the US army found 4150 only survived about 3,000 to 4,000 rounds back in the late 60's when they sought to improve barrel life due to the high corrosion and wear the M16's saw in Vietnam. I think 416R would probably last slightly longer while still holding decent accuracy due to higher lubricity, but 416R isn't really a true stainless in the sense that most people think of stainless. It's primary use is for excellent machining properties in precision barrels. I think for 5.56 typical life span is around 5k to 7k rounds depending on maintenance and use.

On the bright side of things, if ARP starts making them in 416R or bare 4150, you can still have them nitrided. I did that with a Wilson Combat match barrel in 416R for a S&W M&P9 hand gun. I broke it in first with 200 rounds then cleaned it and sent it out for nitriding to preserve it in it's optimal state.

Rock Creek Barrels [email protected]

You have to wait until they get enough orders for a batch, but if your patient they may still take your barrel for processing. Handgun barrels were only $15 and rifle or shotgun barrels were $55 unless it's change, but might be worth a try.

Nitriding isn't just about barrel life, it's about prevention of corrosion and pitting during intermittent use. While all current production ammunition is non-corrosive, oxidation occurs on any rifle barrel steel that isn't surface treated, chrome lined or oiled. It's also a boon for maintenance. I like being able to shoot 300 to 500 rounds in a training class during heavy rain and not have to clean it right away so it can re-oiled to prevent oxidation.

If your application is like mine and a few other's, it's definitely good for fighting gun applications. It's not very practical to constantly have to clean the rifle, but it certainly can be done if necessary as it was back in the days before melonite / SNB / tennifer / salt bath nitriding or hard chrome lining. The only other barrel I know of that's well suited to a RECCE type application is the Daniels Defense 16" S2W hammer forged chrome lined barrel (midlength gas port).

It is a SPC II chamber, but it's standard 4 grove rifling and it's more of a bull barrel, weighing 2 lbs 5oz which is quite a bit heavier than the Scout profile, it's a hard use barrel for sure, but I think the overall performance of the ARP is going to have it beat for typical civilian applications.

·
Registered
199 Posts
It's a free country :) . I'm just referencing studies I've seen, but perhaps I'm misremembering as it was quite a while ago.

·
Super Moderator
12,171 Posts
It's a free country :) . I'm just referencing studies I've seen, but perhaps I'm misremembering as it was quite a while ago.
It doesn't really matter but everything I have read states just the opposite. 416R will usually be more accurate but 4150 will outlast it and stand up to heat better. Most people will never shoot out a barrel regardless of what material it is made of. 3-4 thousand rounds is plenty for most people.

·
Registered
443 Posts
At $200-$250/barrel and relitivly easy to swap, I'm not overly worried about the time or money when greater accuracy is needed. Finding and being able to afford enough ammo to burn the barrel out is more of a concern for me.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Different applications, I want mine to stay as cool and last as long as it can under frequent use. 6.8 is not particularly hard on barrels in general, but the nitriding process is a must for a fighting gun at minimum. Hard chrome is even better in term of heat tolerance but generally is slight less accurate with precision ammunition and has a few other issues. But then again I'm in the minority of using 6.8 for it's original intended purpose so I can understand why most people on here will take bare 4150 CMV barrels.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Different applications, I want mine to stay as cool and last as long as it can under frequent use. 6.8 is not particularly hard on barrels in general, but the nitriding process is a must for a fighting gun at minimum. Hard chrome is even better in term of heat tolerance but generally is slight less accurate with precision ammunition and has a few other issues. But then again I'm in the minority of using 6.8 for it's original intended purpose so I can understand why most people on here will take bare 4150 CMV barrels.
I understand and agree. I was grumbling that at today's prices and availability of 6.8 spc. For every 8-10 boxes I could buy a new barrel. At the cost of enough ammo to burn out a barrel, I can order two dozen ARP barrels. For the price of case of 5.56, I can get 4 barrels. The world is upside down.

Reactions: Highside

·
Registered
142 Posts
I understand and agree. I was grumbling that at today's prices and availability of 6.8 spc. For every 8-10 boxes I could buy a new barrel. At the cost of enough ammo to burn out a barrel, I can order two dozen ARP barrels. For the price of case of 5.56, I can get 4 barrels. The world is upside down.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Missed a 16” barrel. Will this thread be updated when there are more available?

1 - 20 of 117 Posts