6.8 SPC Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Went ahead and ordered a sixteen inch .223. Hope it shoots as well as my 6.8's do, I'll be happy with that!

Alan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can’t wait for the Recce/Socom’s to be back in stock. I’ll place a multiple barrel order with correct sized gas port when they’re available. Glad to see they’ll be 4150 and QPQ.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have 50 RECCE profile barrels coming with 5/8 thread same as Socom.
Are the RECCE profile barrels you have coming 5.56 barrels, like these?

OMG!!!!!! That's precisely what I want in my 6.8 barrel. The SOCOM is damned close but doesnt have the capacity to mount a standard FSP due to the short gasblock boss. This though is perfect, unless its 5.56 only.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Both are the same but both have a 1.1" long gas block boss.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Both the 16" SOCOM and Savage 6.8 barrels are being Melonite treated, hopefully have them back by late next week.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Long-time lurker and first-time poster. Wondering if the 18" Tac 30 barrels are "Not Very Likely" like they were in 2019, or if there is hope this year.

Thanks for taking the time.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm certain that this ^ is funny. I'm so new, I don't get the joke - unless Walther barrel group-buy deals continue to be a PITA like they are in the rest of the world.

Or they just suck.

I've talked to Noveske about getting barrel blanks. That was a No Go. They use FN CHF barrels and do their own finish. I don't know where the SS "target" barrels come from. There are smaller makers I'm talking to now.

But I don't know how to get the chamber dimensions for Tac 30 versus .30 Herrett, and I haven't seen what the gas system length is. Is Mid-Length the 'favored' gas system, or should I be going 'Rifle'?

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
First thing is since the original 30 Herrett was a rimmed cartridge you have to get new headspace gauges made for a rimless version. Any 30 Herrett dies will size brass for any 30 Herrett, 30 HRT or TAC30 chamber. The differences are the length of the case and the freebore.
I heard years ago that the American 30 was first designed as a 30/6.8 with a 6.8 diameter shoulder, then those guys figured out the 30 Herret dies were .410 and would not properly size the American 30 cases. then they had to try 2 or 3 more times before they figured out what size to make the reamers so they would work with 30 Herrett dies. I do not know if they ever made American 30 dies.

·
Registered
13,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm certain that this ^ is funny. I'm so new, I don't get the joke - unless Walther barrel group-buy deals continue to be a PITA like they are in the rest of the world.

Or they just suck.

I've talked to Noveske about getting barrel blanks. That was a No Go. They use FN CHF barrels and do their own finish. I don't know where the SS "target" barrels come from. There are smaller makers I'm talking to now.

But I don't know how to get the chamber dimensions for Tac 30 versus .30 Herrett, and I haven't seen what the gas system length is. Is Mid-Length the 'favored' gas system, or should I be going 'Rifle'?

Or they just suck.

Yes I returned a few hundred barrels to Lothar but, I've returned batches of barrels to Green Mountain, Wilson and Daniel Defense too.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks, constructor, for the reply. I was asking just a few posts above if you think there are 18" barrels this year in TAC30, or if I should go it alone. I'm probably a giant fan of the 3R thing you're rockin' in other calibers.

Got any feedback or advising re: your barrel stock and/or plans?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can we pre-pay for a couple of the 223wylde recce/socom barrels? What was the old gas port size you were using, .068?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts