6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm not sure how this is going to go over but. I am going to have to transition over to all stainless as I run out of the Melonite treated barrels.
H&M Metals is only processing the barrels as QP(quench and polish) they should be quench, polish, quench. Along with other problems with them I have decided to stop using H&M metals. They have been telling everyone their Black Nitride process does not soften bolts or extensions but my lab tests show they have and when those parts start compressing and headspace increases making barrels unusable and dangerous I know they wont stand up and do the right thing. All the gun companies that have been Nitride treating bolts and extensions will end up dealing with customers and footing the whole bill.

From this point forward the barrels will be stainless until I can find a better company...if I can find a company to work with.

BTW I have plenty of barrels including the 12.5s and for a while plenty of superbolt bodies as long as I can get parts to finish the bolts. This isn't a corona virus panic product so go melt some snowflake brains.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
H----------damn sorry to hear the supplier has lost your business.

Any chance of all of 16" 6.8 5r fluted melonite barrels happening......wish wish....sigh

·
Registered
113 Posts
Well that's too bad, bummer. Thanks for informing us, H! I hope you find a good supplier.

I actually prefer stainless barrels, though I can't really say why, other than they just seem to shoot a bit better for me. I don't shoot enough to wear them out and rust isn't really an issue here in the alpine desert of the Rockies.

It seems that 2020 is a year of change...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Same here with the Stainless barrels. There is just something about a bead blasted SS barrel poking out from a black hand guard that just gets the juices flowing.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I am at it I will not sell anymore commercial/civilian grade carriers. The only carriers I will offer will be Microbest mil spec carriers, parkerized with hard chromed bores.

·
Registered
113 Posts
While I am at it I will not sell anymore commercial/civilian grade carriers. The only carriers I will offer will be Microbest mil spec carriers, parkerized with hard chromed bores.
Ok with me! Not that it matters, but nothing wrong with that option.

·
Super Moderator
21,597 Posts
(Brain.... STOP implying that I might need some matching stainless ARP barrels to go with my melonite ones... STOP IT BRAIN !!!!!) :a01:

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just my opinion- Most hunters do not need a Melonite treated barrel where barrel life is a concern, most stainless barrels will still last 15-20 years. Those that go out and shoot 200 rounds a month year round would probably benefit from the extra hardness of Melonite treated barrels.

In addition "Melonite QPQ" is a patented process, only those who pay know the real process. "Nitride" is a similar process but not exactly the same and many companies calling their process "Nitride" are not doing the 3 part process "QPQ"

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It looks like Parker Trutech will get the first test batch. It may take a little while with this Corona thing going around but we'll try to get back to normal operation ASAP.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It looks like Parker Trutech will get the first test batch. It may take a little while with this Corona thing going around but we'll try to get back to normal operation ASAP.
H, stoked to hear that, I think you'll be pleased. Those guys know their stuff. Can I get one of the test batch barrels? Happy to run it hard and document it.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Corona virus wipeout

H, stoked to hear that, I think you'll be pleased. Those guys know their stuff. Can I get one of the test batch barrels? Happy to run it hard and document it.
If you have looked at the site lately you can see all the guys sitting home bored have nearly wiped me out. Most of the machine shops have been shut down for 2 weeks so it could be late May or June before we start seeing more barrels come in.
When I get back too the Tennessee shop I will have Valkyrie barrels and more BCGs. Hopefully the Savage barrels are getting close.

·
Registered
54 Posts
So just to be sure before I order, the in stock barrels do have the correct qpq treatment? It's moving forward with new ones that would be an issue? I need a good general purpose sixteen inch .223 and I think your scout profile might be just the ticket. Of course, having three of your 6.8 barrels might be a reason I would think that. :a32:

Alan

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So just to be sure before I order, the in stock barrels do have the correct qpq treatment? It's moving forward with new ones that would be an issue? I need a good general purpose sixteen inch .223 and I think your scout profile might be just the ticket. Of course, having three of your 6.8 barrels might be a reason I would think that. :a32:

Alan
Only the last batch I received were QP, noticeable as soon as I took 1 out of the box. They will be reworked by parker as soon as they get back to work.

·
Registered
13,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
20" 6.8s should be here this week, I'll have to test them before adding to the site.
Savage barrels are next in line but not sure when
16" Scouts should come after the Savage

1 - 20 of 34 Posts