6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, not entirely new here. I've been reading quite a bit but I think this is my first post. I've got a Stag model 7. I got the 6.8 for hunting deer. .223 isn't leagal to hunt deer with in Virginia, must be .240 or bigger. To the point, I'm considering having the muzzle threaded so I can use a compensator. Question is, is this worth doing or should I leave it alone. Barrel has an 11 degree target crown now. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
How does it shoot now? What kind of groups are you getting?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Strictly used as a hunting rifle it's not needed and many prefer it with just a target crown. If you have any intention of eventually needing a suppressor or just like the muzzle brake or flash holder look have at it. The 68 fired with a brake on it isn't something you will likely do more than once without hearing protection.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
I would leave alone, no telling how it will shoot after.
my stag 7 shot tiny groups and would feed anything I fed it. At 20.77" rifle gas, it is long enough already and heavy enough and shoot with very minimal recoil and minimal blast/noise.
Left un-altered, Stag has a lifetime warranty on there rifles.
If really wanted to run a comp, a better option may be to sell barrel and put a ARP 16,18,or 20" threaded barrel on.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
As suggested, might be better to leave it alone and buy a threaded barrel. It all depends on your needs and likes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've only got 40 rounds through it now. It shoots nice tight groups if I do my part. The only thing this rifle will do is hunt, I've got others for plinking and whatnot. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way handles now. It's got a bit of muzzle jump, for an AR, just woundering if I could reduce that just in case I need a quick follow up shot.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you need a follow up shot chances are the animal is moving so you'll have to move the muzzle anyways. I'd leave it as is.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've only got 40 rounds through it now. It shoots nice tight groups if I do my part. The only thing this rifle will do is hunt, I've got others for plinking and whatnot. Overall I'm pretty happy with the way handles now. It's got a bit of muzzle jump, for an AR, just woundering if I could reduce that just in case I need a quick follow up shot.
The best way to tame some of the muzzle jump without a brake is a low mass operating system and an adjustable gas block, but that is opening up a whole other can of worms and fairly costly.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Does a low mass bolt carrier need adjustable gas?
In order to properly implement it as a system the low mass buffer, carrier and an adjustable gas block should be used together. But like I said before it is opening up a lot of other tuning and reliability issues if you are not familiar with it. It does however give much more flexibility with tuning hand loads to the rifle.
I wouldn't recommend it to someone new to the AR platform as it could cuase more issues than its worth and it is pretty expensive.
Don't take it as I am saying you are inexperienced that's not my intention I just wouldn't want to recommend it and you not be satisfied with the results.

·
Banned
1,977 Posts
mine didnt jump much at all. I wonder if yours is overgassed. I also slid the gas block all the way back when i swapped out the handguard b4 i knew better, maybe slightly cutting off some gas? if so it ate everything yet. try that or an adjustable gas block. Is it paired up with an A2 lower, if not it might tame it? Try gripping the handguard with more of a combat hold, sorry i dont know term, everyone welcome to chime in with name or link.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
mine didnt jump much at all. I wonder if yours is overgassed. I also slid the gas block all the way back when i swapped out the handguard b4 i knew better, maybe slightly cutting off some gas? if so it ate everything yet. try that or an adjustable gas block. Is it paired up with an A2 lower, if not it might tame it? Try gripping the handguard with more of a combat hold, sorry i dont know term, everyone welcome to chime in with name or link.
Downward pressure on the fore end for better muzzle control will help with accuracy from the bench.
My 20" barreled rifle shooting 115SMK' s at 2670fps hops around pretty bad and accuracy suffers with out a little downward pressure on the front end.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. It's not that I'm new to ARs, there's just too many options. Low mass is not something I've researched yet.

·
Registered
588 Posts
If your Stag7 runs like mine, accurate and dependable, why change it? Its a great rifle. I built a 16" upper for the other reasons, flash suppression and easier in the brush. Right tool for each job. I bought the Stag 7 expressly for whitetail. After 2k rounds down the pipe, I have changed to an MOE rifle stock with a lo-pro gas block and a Samson evo handguard. Its about the same in terms of weight and balance. Just my preference, it shoots the same. Every factory load I have tried is right at or near MOA. Good enough for me!

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
"Hard Hold"

·
Registered
435 Posts
You can conceivably alter the internal dimensions of your barrel by turning and threading the muzzle after it's been rifled. Don't do it unless you absolutely have to have a flash hider or muzzle break.

You most certainly will alter the barrel harmonics. You could alter them for the good or the bad. There is no way of knowing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I finally had a chance to do some 100yd shooting with this rifle. Very pleased with the Fusion 115grn I got with the gun and the 120SST. Yea, going to leave this rifle alone. I've already started buying what's needed to build another 6.8, I'll play around with that one. Thanks all for the input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts