6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I have a 18" arp scout in one of my uppers and am very happy with it. I have a 16" that I am unsure of the manufacture that I'm looking to replace. I have found a used bison 18" locally, how will it compare to the arp? It's a decent deal or I would like go new.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
I own both ARP and Bison 6.8 barrels. Both are very accurate, but the ARP is slightly more so, and a bit faster.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was on the ARP web site looking for a barrel. Most of their 6.8 barrels are out of stock with no indication of when they will be available. Do they usually replenish stock or is it a long wait?

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
seem to recall they're scheduled for later this month or next month

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
Thanks, one more question for you. Probably stupid but are the 2 barrels the same length?
I have tested both side by side. A 16in ARP Scout and a 16in Bison Recon.
The ARP barrel is 50 fps faster on average across 12+ projectiles tested.
My projectile stock for the 6.8 is well over 20 different ones now.

·
Super Moderator
5,753 Posts
I have tested both side by side. A 16in ARP Scout and a 16in Bison Recon.
The ARP barrel is 50 fps faster on average across 12+ projectiles tested.
My projectile stock for the 6.8 is well over 20 different ones now.
The advantage of "Melonite"

Sent from a final firing position, the crosshairs are on you!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I'm running an 18 inch bison on my 6.8 and I love it. If you got one you wouldn't regret it. They are very high quality barrels and very accurate.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Owned both ARP but gone to Bison in all my 6.8 guns. Bison and ARP shoot equally accurate. ARP enjoys a slight benefit in velocity, but I've gone all to Bison 1:7 barrels since you can run any weight of bullet including heavy subs. Even with the 1:7 twist it loves the light 90 gr GDs too! Get a Bison and you'll love it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have arp and bison barrels. Both are more accurate than me, most days.
I got the ARP triad barrel so I can shoot much hotter rounds without over pressure signs.
It works well on the hottest hand loads.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm going to pull the trigger on the bison. It's a pretty solid deal at 260.00 with bcg and gas tube imo. The guy claims it to have around 80 rounds through it. Now the question is do I just build a new upper and sale the complete 16" unknown manufacturer barreled upper. As I would likely change hand guards when swapping barrels.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
handguards are cheap, keep them both IMO

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The scary thing is if I keep it I know I will end up buying another scope, and then another lower... I can already hear the wife asking if one man really needs 3 6.8 rifles... lol she does not understand.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
The scary thing is if I keep it I know I will end up buying another scope, and then another lower... I can already hear the wife asking if one man really needs 3 6.8 rifles... lol she does not understand.
you could tell her, one is a Model 1, two is a Model 2 etc., etc.

·
Registered
8,932 Posts
She doesn't wear the same shoes, dress, pants, etc for everything. Got to have different 6.8s for different jobs also.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
or, use their classic line against them, "what, this old thing"

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
My wife has no idea what's in my gun safe, and I have no idea what's in her jewelry box. Works for me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts