6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Building me a 6.8 16”

It will be primarily used for hunting but I want it to be as accurate as possible. I’m new to this caliber and need a little seasoned expert advice before I jump off.

I don’t hand load so I’ll more than likely be shooting Hornady Black 110 and Hornady SST (only because I bought a ton of it before the build due to the current ammo pandemic)

I’m down to a couple choices but I’d like a little guidance on them. I’m looking at the Wilson Combat 16” Recon and the White Oak Armament 16”

which barrel will give me the best accuracy with factory ammo.
Also any other brands you guys feel are better please feel free to list them

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ARP...
Don’t know a whole lot about them. Do you have experience with that barrel?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
ARP . We have 3 and all are sub moa . Interestingly SSTs are the most accurate factory bullets in all 3 . The SST is a good deer bullet with a weird quirk , if you don't hit a big bone it comes apart and the core fragments on the far side leaving an empty Jacket ( and dead deer ) but if you hit forward shoulder it might hold together and leave a sizable exit and good alibet short blood trail . One thing I have learned is the two bullets you mentioned look exactly alike and can easily get mixed up and have to weight them to tell them apart . A hint would be to color the head of the black black so they can be told apart at a glance . The Hornady black / v max is best kept a varmint / defence load .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ARP . We have 3 and all are sub moa . Interestingly SSTs are the most accurate factory bullets in all 3 . The SST is a good deer bullet with a weird quirk , if you don't hit a big bone it comes apart and the core fragments on the far side leaving an empty Jacket ( and dead deer ) but if you hit forward shoulder it might hold together and leave a sizable exit and good alibet short blood trail . One thing I have learned is the two bullets you mentioned look exactly alike and can easily get mixed up and have to weight them to tell them apart . A hint would be to color the head of the black black so they can be told apart at a glance . The Hornady black / v max is best kept a varmint / defence load .

Interesting. That’s excellent information. And yeah the Blacks were gonna be a hog/yote load and home defense. The SST was gonna be for the deer. So what rifling is the best on the ARP? I see they have 1 in stock and it’s a Scout profile with 5R 11

·
Registered
21 Posts
Don’t know a whole lot about them. Do you have experience with that barrel?
I have one on the way. It’s a 3R 11 I believe. Constructor on here is the man to speak to if you have any technical questions. Many of the members on here have much more experience with them than I do. I’m sure they will chime in.

·
Registered
21 Posts
And according to this thread, there should be a bunch more added to his site shortly.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I have been buying ARP barrels for about 6 years and everyone has been sub-moa from the first SS barrel to the last melanite barrel. I prefer the melanite finish to the stainless finish, but you won't find that in the Wilson or WOA. You won't go wrong with either of the two you mentioned, but if you want great service from an active member of the forum and probably save money too, you will be happy with and ARP product.

Reactions: AzCasper

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
I would venture to say 1/4 of all the members here have an ARP barrel or 2. I have 6 at the moment and have built a dozen or so uppers for others using ARP barrels, Zero problems.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Interesting. That’s excellent information. And yeah the Blacks were gonna be a hog/yote load and home defense. The SST was gonna be for the deer. So what rifling is the best on the ARP? I see they have 1 in stock and it’s a Scout profile with 5R 11
That is my what my wife's barrel is . The most accurate gun we own .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So the ARP barrel is really that much more accurate and consistent than the other makers barrels?

·
Super Moderator
21,652 Posts
Let's just say, many companies market their barrel as "Match Grade" to get a tad more money from you. An ARP barrel will give many "match grade" barrels a run for their money without the expensive moniker. And, it may also do so with a tad more speed and a tad less pressure too. My ARP rigged AR will shoot sub .5" groups at 100, off a bi-pod, with a mil-spec trigger, and with factory loads.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Let's just say, many companies market their barrel as "Match Grade" to get a tad more money from you. An ARP barrel will give many "match grade" barrels a run for their money without the expensive moniker. And, it may also do so with a tad more speed and a tad less pressure too. My ARP rigged AR will shoot sub .5" groups at 100, off a bi-pod, with a mil-spec trigger, and with factory loads.
what is the gas port size on your 16” ARP?

·
Registered
13,795 Posts
what is the gas port size on your 16” ARP?
It can be any size you want it if you know what size. Just write it in the additional comment box when you place the order.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It can be any size you want it if you know what size. Just write it in the additional comment box when you place the order.
i’ve been on the site and I’m about to order the barrel I believe. But a couple things I read I don’t understand. It says on the stainless it’s a sand finished. I’m not sure exactly what that means. And also is the barrel dimpled on the bottom for the gas block?

I’m sorry for all the ridiculous questions but I just wanna be sure before I order. I just want to build the best 6.8 possible regardless of how much money it takes to build it.

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
Yes, his barrels are dimpled. I would call the finish a "satin" finish. Note that I am looking at a 6.5C barrel that has been fluted and it may not look like the unfluted 6.8 barrels so....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So it looks like they have updated the page and they have a 16” Stainless 5R 11 scout and a 16” melonite Socom 3R 11 barrel
Of the two which on would be the beat with the Hornady factory loads?

·
Registered
419 Posts
So it looks like they have updated the page and they have a 16” Stainless 5R 11 scout and a 16” melonite Socom 3R 11 barrel
Of the two which on would be the beat with the Hornady factory loads?
If I remember correctly, 3R would be fine. The advantage of 5R is for hand loaders that push the pressure to max. I dont have an ARP, I have a Bison, but if I build another one, ARP will be the barrel I get.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts