6.8 SPC Forums banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using some barnes TSX 120 grains in my Grendel. I have only shot about 5 of them just to see what they would do. I had a picture of all 5 of them, but can not find them at this time. They all had various forms of expanison from least to greatest. I guess that is becuase I was shooting at the same spot at the sand pile I was shooting at thus losening the sand and making it easier for the next.

My question is one of the bullets was barely deformed at all. It had rifleing marks and maybe a 1/10 of the nose was petaled but thats it.

How are or why are these bullets so effective on game. i guess im so used to seeing jacketed bullets mushroom to such a large size that when I look at these I say to myself " Do these do any damage or just zip right through the animal and not cause much damage?"

Im sure its the tranfer of energy or something bt for some reason a bullet staying intact like that has me thinking less of it even I know its far superior.

Could anyone explain this to me?

· Registered
7,772 Posts
the barnes TSX need to be going a min of 2100 FPS (per barnes) to expand that is why the 85 grain version is preffered to the 110 becuase we cant get it going so much faster... the GS bullets will expand down to 15-1600 FPS (per GS)

If they expand they work just like any other hunting bullet except there is no chance the petals will break off and there is no lose of mass so they just keep trucking... HTR has shot them lengthwise through pigs, they shoot through both shoulders of pigs no problems... I dont know how fast you had them going out of your grendal so that may be an issue?

I have only killed one pig with the 85's so I am not 100 percent sold on them but HTR and Constructor swear by them and I know HTR kills more pigs in a month then I probably will in a life time....

· Registered
1,439 Posts
The Barnes website describes the expansion mechanism as being driven by hydrostatic pressure. You hit something containing liquid (like an animal) and that liquid will enter the hollow of the bullet and force it open very rapidly. I would guess that sand will not do the same thing.

· Registered
249 Posts
The Barnes website describes the expansion mechanism as being driven by hydrostatic pressure. You hit something containing liquid (like an animal) and that liquid will enter the hollow of the bullet and force it open very rapidly. I would guess that sand will not do the same thing.
Interesting you should bring this up.
I recovered some 45 acp hollow points from some sand that did not expand at all.
I fired the same bullet loaded exactly the same through plastic bottles of water and they expanded very nicely!

MS

· Registered
1,439 Posts
Interesting you should bring this up.
I recovered some 45 acp hollow points from some sand that did not expand at all.
I fired the same bullet loaded exactly the same through plastic bottles of water and they expanded very nicely!

MS
This sounds like a logical reason why these bullets have good barrier penetration yet still perform as intended on animals of whatever persuasion on the other side.

· Registered
249 Posts
This sounds like a logical reason why these bullets have good barrier penetration yet still perform as intended on animals of whatever persuasion on the other side.
Yhea, could be.

A few years back I had some "pass through" ammo. It was supposedly designed for "superior performance in hostage shoot through"...never got to put it to the text though.:rolleyes:

MS

edit: sorry RedTx, didn't mean to hi-jack

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.