6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy,

I started loading Barnes 95gr TTSX today. I am finding it very easy to set a coal of 2.300." It seems to stay consistent and it is easy to repeat.

I worked to load some at 2.295" but the COAL doesn't want to stay consistent. The COAL is varying by 2 or 3 thousandths each time (if not more).

I measured some of the bullets and they vary in length by 2 or 3 thousandths, too.

This is my first run at loading this bullet and at this length. Everything that I have done for the last 8 years has been for the SPC chamber (not SPC II).

I use a LEE press and RCBS 2 piece die set.

What is your experience with these two COALs?

Thanks,

TC

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
You did not mention your powder and charge weight or brass manufacturer, new or resized. When I start getting a variation in COAL during reloading, one of the reasons may be that the powder charge is begun to compress.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
28 grains of AA2200 is pretty mild so I doubt you are compressing the powder. Maybe your sample size is too small. Also, be aware that many bullet seating dies have an integral crimp feature. Make sure you bullet seating die is adjusted far enough away from the ram to ensure that feature does not touch the case neck - it will only cause problems that are hard to diagnois. If you want to crimp, use only a collet crimp die like Lee's.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xman - I have a follow up Q. I have an ASC mag that fits a COAL of 2.300. Should I try to hand feed a case that long or will it feed properly to fire? I am going to test it at the range but I was wondering if you could shed any light on that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I do not load my ASC mags with COALs greater than 2.295 to ensure reliability. Any variation in bullet length, etc. could cause a round to hang-up. Also, ASC mags may have some variation and the 2.300 may bind in one with shorter dimensions.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well - I double checked my seater die and started again. I am able to achieve a COAL of 2.285 and it is consistent. Maybe I was a bit rusty?! Ha ha.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I cannot say at the moment but I am going to measure my chamber soon. I have to use a modified case to find out some more information.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well - I double checked my seater die and started again. I am able to achieve a COAL of 2.285 and it is consistent. Maybe I was a bit rusty?! Ha ha.
COAL is my next factory to start playing with. Been able to get 30 gr of AA2200 with 2.260 COAL woth no pressure problems.

Bison 16"
Federal once fired
CCI 41s
110 S&B FMJ's

·
Registered
292 Posts
In my opinion, the first thing you should be doing when starting load development with different bullets, is measuring the distance to the lands with it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
You can use a Hornady modified case tool. A Frankford Arsenal tool. A homemade slit neck case. A cleaning rod or wood dowel. Which ever technique you choose, you're measuring where the bullets ogive contacts the rifling.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
A homemade slit neck case.
I've found this to be the most accurate method. Position bullet in the case neck long, push into chamber with your finger, use a dental tool or head of a flat-head nail to hook the rim and pull it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I went to measure distance to lands with a 95 TTSX and realized my case had never been cut. After cutting, it touched the lands at 2.42-2.45" in an ARP chamber.
Load was 30.2 gr of AA2200 at 2.285" OAL. This length shot the best out of my barrel. MV was 2721 on a cold 21 degree morning. Rem 7 1/2 primers. You picked a good (expensive) hunting bullet, it hasn't let me down for deer in 5 years.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I measured my chamber today. My chamber will accept a max COAL of 2.395."

I also hit the range with my first handloads. Here are the first results:

Barnes 95gr TTSX
Hornady Brass (1x fired) - RCBS Small base sizer die
CCI 41 Primer
28 gr of AA2200

COAL: 2.300" - 3 shot group measured 3.25"

COAL: 2.285" - 3 shot group measured 1.125"

COAL: 2.260" - 3 shot group measured 1.875"

Here is the fun part. A Coal of 2.285 fits well into my PRI 5 round hunting mag.

A coal 2.300 fits into my ASC 15 round mag. They fed just fine and no misfeeds/jams/malfunctions.

Now, I am out of AA2200 and I cannot find it in my state. I have easy access to AA2230, H322, Re7, and Re10x. Decisions decisions!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
AA2230. Thats actually listed in my Hornady manual for 6.8 so its probably one they use. Burns a little faster than AA2200.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts