6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if there is a packet of info somewhere with all the pictures of ballistic gel tests for the various 6.8 SPC loads? I have read the thread on ammo suggestions, I just want to see pictures to get a better idea of what each round does. Mostly the Hornandy VMAX, the SSA combat OTM, the pro hunters, and the accubonds.
Just the neck, where the perm cavity starts and how much they penetrate, and what ones over penetrate (obviously the pro hunters and the accubonds are for game so we want penetration).

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks anyone else

·
Registered
410 Posts
http://www.hornadyle.com/products/detai ... =72&sID=76

There are the gel shots. I have some hard copies of three gel tests with the 115gr SMK/OTM that SSA loads. I do not have the capability to scan them into a computer to send. DocGKR sent them to me last year. They penetrate an average of about 14 inches, the neck is between 1 and 2 inches and max perm and temp cavities are between 4 and 6 inches. Most of the damage is done between 2 and 10 inches. It is a very good combat bullet.

http://www.ssarmory.com/success.aspx

Most of the way down in the success stories are pictures of three bull caribou taken with the SSA 115gr OTM. Pretty effective I'd say. Another great terminal performer was Hornady's 115gr OTM but it was discontinued.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
why did hornandy stop producing the OTM?

Do we think the VMax is a better round for unarmored people then the OTM? or do most of you gys use the OTM in the house guns? I am currently using the VMax tap in my house gun.

I still wish that SSA would load the VMAX to combat velocities that would be my go to round for the house.

·
Registered
410 Posts
The vmax is one of the best HD/swat rounds for the 6.8. Especially since your average range is going to be seven yards and in. The reasons I went to the OTM was for more velocity and a little better barrier defeating ability for a general purpose round. For home defense, the vmax is no slouch. Hell, look around on the hunting forums. There was a guy that shot a hog with a vmax, dropped it in it's tracks and no bullet pass through. Good for HD.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I figured, I use the Vmax in the gun at the house, and then the rack in the truck is all OTM stuff. Hunting I will use the pro hunters for deer and probably try the accubonds and the pro hunters out on hogs if I get to hunt them next time home.

If I could get permission to use a 6.8 upper over here I would just use OTM's but I cant so i wont....

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I really want to see a penetrator type test for the 556 6.8 and the 6.5 to see the difference, the OTM is great but the general.mil guys are going to get issued green tip (penetrator) ammo and as such we should get tests of penetrator ammo for the mil to see what the real difference is for them.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I'd like to see a 90 Gr. BT-FMJ bullet for the 6.8SPC. The Military will not use a BTHP as the standard bullet due to the price.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
paul for me I am a heavy and semi fast guy, we already know the 62 grain out of the 556 SUCKS... so why go with a lighter bullet load up a 105-115 grain penetration and lets see what that does out to different yards... velocity is nice but mass makes a difference.

·
Registered
226 Posts
marinesg1012 said:
paul for me I am a heavy and semi fast guy, we already know the 62 grain out of the 556 SUCKS... so why go with a lighter bullet load up a 105-115 grain penetration and lets see what that does out to different yards... velocity is nice but mass makes a difference.
IMHO bullet construction makes the most difference. The M855 sucks because it is a penetrator designed to defeat helmets and body armor - it is not designed to maximize terminal ballistic effects. The best barrier blind ammo for the 5.56 is the 62gr Federal Tactical Bonded stuff - again, bullet weight is not that big a factor.

I will say, however, that a bonded, barrier-blind .277 bullet in the 105-110gr range with a BC of at least 0.375, an MV of 2700fps out of a 16" barrel and that still upsets/deforms down to about 1800fps would make one hell of an LE/MIL round. The Accubonds are getting awfully close...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
marinesg1012 said:
In order for the FMJ bullets to fragment they need to have a certain velocity, which is generally above 2600fps. That is very easy to do with a 90 Gr. bullet. With a 110 Gr. FMJ bullet, your starting velocity is going to be right around 2650 FPS, so that doesn't leave too much room for fragmentation. The SSA 115 Gr. Xtreme FMJ bullets used to fragment down to 2100FPS, but they had other issues.

·
Premium Member
528 Posts
Terminal ballistics are not about your favorite bullet weight or velocity but tissue damage with proper penetration. Bullet construction plays a very important part.
There are some very good 62 grain 5.56 loads, M855 not so great.

I can't find a reason to worry about 100 FPS with the VMax for indoor use.

Hornady went to a 110 OTM, supposed to be better through glass than the 115.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
-k- said:
Terminal ballistics are not about your favorite bullet weight or velocity but tissue damage with proper penetration. Bullet construction plays a very important part.
There are some very good 62 grain 5.56 loads, M855 not so great.

I can't find a reason to worry about 100 FPS with the VMax for indoor use.

Hornady went to a 110 OTM, supposed to be better through glass than the 115.
The Hornady 110 Gr. BTHP is a great all-purpose round. It actually expands very well and fragments very little.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Since the 6.8 fires a .270 bullet it seems to disrupt at much lower speeds than 2600 fps. Just keep the jacket on the thin side.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Frag levels, expansion, what vel it happens at, is all about bullet construction. How large and from what distance is the cartidge size and vel. Once fragmentation level is achieved, bullets initial mass and vel is what makes the dif as I understand it. More mass more fragments and bigger fragments. The faster they are going, the deeper they bore, and the larger the temp stretch that the frags have to work with.

If DocGKR comes around he can explain it correctly and more precisely.

·
Registered
251 Posts
”I really want to see a penetrator type test for the 556 6.8 and the 6.5 to see the difference, the OTM is great but the general.mil guys are going to get issued green tip (penetrator) ammo and as such we should get tests of penetrator ammo for the mil to see what the real difference is for them.”
”I'd like to see a 90 Gr. BT-FMJ bullet for the 6.8SPC. The Military will not use a BTHP as the standard bullet due to the price.”
6.8 mm M855 analogs have been tested, we posted the pictures a couple of years ago. OK but nothing spectacular. Keep in mind that 5.56 mm M855 is scheduled to be phased out beginning in 2009; NONE of the 5.56 mm proposed replacements uses a traditional FMJ projectile. Instead of worrying about bullet construction, I’d focus on performance parameters and law of war considerations for military projectiles…

1 - 20 of 28 Posts