6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any places they recommend for an axis meat hunt? Looking for a couple does and maybe a hog or two. Also open to other exotic does. My texas hunts haven't been good at all but thinking about trying again

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Anyone have any places they recommend for an axis meat hunt? Looking for a couple does and maybe a hog or two. Also open to other exotic does. My texas hunts haven't been good at all but thinking about trying again
Texas Hunt Lodge is the best I have found. They have access to a lot of excellent properties the owner is a really nice guy his name is Aaron and the guides are very good to hunt with.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Texas Hunt Lodge is the best I have found. They have access to a lot of excellent properties the owner is a really nice guy his name is Aaron and the guides are very good to hunt with.
Kerr County has always had good Axis. Our land there held some through the hard, hard drought, too. Spring-fed Landowner water tanks saved a lot of deer, whitetail and foreign jihadi deer, but so, so many died.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I just want to try some of the meat without paying for the antlers
It is the absolute best eating thing on four legs, my friend. Unlike whitetail, axis do cover ground, too, so you never know when one will pop up anywhere in their range. Delicious jihadi deer. It was years between species, but I'd put axis deer maybe one notch above pronghorn antelope, or really about equal. Axis maybe textured as more tender, but pronghorn more flavorful, light sage flavor. Excellent grilled over pecan wood which imparts a slight sweetness after a marinade of red wine, black pepper and a dash of Worchestershire. Fresh purple hull peas, or fresh black eyed peas seasoned with heavy trace of fresh jalepeno peppers and of course lean piggy are excellent with it. Fresh corn bread of course.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I've heard. Just watched a show where a guy shot one on tv. My daughter said dad you need to get one of those so we can eat its meat. Lol

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I hate Whitetail, but Axis is amazing with minimal seasoning.
Well can't image not liking to eat WT. my family eats more venison than we do beef. This Axis deer is not the same thing as the Antelope imported from India? They are supposed be the largest Antelopes on the planet. Dang can't remember what they are called. We all like different things to eat so I get that.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Well can't image not liking to eat WT. my family eats more venison than we do beef. This Axis deer is not the same thing as the Antelope imported from India? They are supposed be the largest Antelopes on the planet. Dang can't remember what they are called. We all like different things to eat so I get that.
Your right they aren't an antelope at all another name for the Axis is a Chital deer. The antelope is a Black Buck and they are good eating to, my oldest son killed one a few years ago in the hill country.

The larger species you are thinking of are the Nilgai but they are not the largest the Eland holds that title and is on par if not better eating than the Axis.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
Your right they aren't an antelope at all another name for the Axis is a Chital deer. The antelope is a Black Buck and they are good eating to, my oldest son killed one a few years ago in the hill country.

The larger species you are thinking of are the Nilgai but they are not the largest the Eland holds that title and is on par if not better eating than the Axis.[/ i

That it Nilgai big Antelope and very tasty from what I have heard from who have hunted in TX. When I looked at the cost to hunt WOW know are Axis cheaper to go on a programmed hunt?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts

The larger species you are thinking of are the Nilgai but they are not the largest the Eland holds that title and is on par if not better eating than the Axis.[/ i

That it Nilgai big Antelope and very tasty from what I have heard from who have hunted in TX. When I looked at the cost to hunt WOW know are Axis cheaper to go on a programmed hunt?
If you really shop around you can find some decently priced hunts the only kicker is the hunts that you are charged for whether you kill anything or not. Some of the prices on other hunts seem pretty high but when you read into a lot of them if you don't shoot anything you are only paying thier rate for accommodation and meals and whatever else is part of the package.

Meat hunts are generally more affordable but when hunting any type of exotics expect to pay a bit more.

Trophy Axis hunts are some of the most sought after of the exotics in Texas so they can be an expensive hunt on some of the properties that are known to have trophy class animals and a high rate of success. I have gone on two Axis hunts now and haven't shot one yet. Timing is key and the area being hunted and a little luck.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts