6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It sure looks to me like all the pieces are in place for a new AWB. Given that the 6.8 SPC is really just hitting its stride and the next year looked rather rosy for it, it seems like its future possibilities might get nipped in the bud by a new AWB that kills the AR-15 platform. What's your opinion?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,444 Posts
We will see, I do think it will be a little while before they try to put the AWB through, mostly becuase he has so many other things on his plate right now. I still think until the .mil or more LE accept the round it is going to be on the fringe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
441 Posts
The 6.8 is an upper concept not a lower. Most that get a 6.8 already have a 5.56 and are converting over so the effect woudl be minimal. Also a lower mag count has less effect on the 6.8 as people are not doing mag dumps with it. Not to mention that a big amount of 6.8 sales is coming from hunters as well. So we are looking at ONLY ON NEW LOWERS AFTER A POSSIBLE BAN WOULD BE IN EFFECT would be 10 rn mag, no flash suppressor, or bayonet lug. Then consider how many already have lowers that would be OK for anything. The only thing that really hits is mags. When you consider almost 1mil ARs are sold each year for the last 5 years alone. Also rememeber the last time the Dems controlling both the house and Senate by large margins had a WILDLY popular pres with a 90% approval rating and pushed thru the last AWB the very next election lost both houses. They may not wish to do that so blatantly but rather wait till there is a tragedy or create one as they surely would trade lives to get there way.

To get back on tack I think a ban would actually have more going to the 6.8 then the 5.56 as if you are limited to low mags best to get the most bang for your buck. When the other ban happened 45 sales started the climb and that is when the 1911 stated its climb back to stardom. Also don't forget that if you have a 458 you would be able to et what is effect is a 30 rnd mag as its for a 458.Se with all the new round and the AR so popular ans a main stream general use gun its much harder to limit it in a even way and they have to do that.SO like I said it may be something they do not want to muck with.

I know this may sound weird but best thing to happen to firearm ownership may be this Marxist leadership we now have. People get lax until they think someone is tying to take it away. Americans are greedy and don't like to be told what they can and can;t have. He is so polarizing on this issue it makes people decide. What you hear is the general thinking by the press is far from it and usually a small radically liberal minority. Also people are cranked and spun so tight just waiting for him to try it the second its brought up there will be a huge response and he will not want to do that in his newlywed year.

We will see
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tim_W said:
The 6.8 is an upper concept not a lower....
Excellent post with some great points Tim. I have to admit that I really hadn't thought of it in those terms before. Sounds dead on to me!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,450 Posts
Tim is correct....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
Ironically, since it is NOT a military adopted round I think it will be much safer politically (at least as far as the media is concerned) than say 223 or 7.62x39 which seem to be the ones always "assaulted."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
Tim... For the most part, I think you're right on the money!!

However, one must remember we are talking about mainly the AR platform. You know... Those "evil black rifles"? More in the mainstream or not, I think our AR's will still be in the Dems crosshairs with or without any "strategic tragedy".

With the economy tanking, tension growing overseas, not to mention the heightened possibility of homeland terrorism... You'd think that would be enough to keep anyone busy with issues just a bit more pressing than constitutional infringment.

I feel it's not an matter of "if", but a matter of when and how wide sweeping. My guess is the newest chapter to the "how to disarm a country" book, will happen before the mid term elections.

With the 6.8SPC finally coming into it's own, let's hope this will just be a stumbling block and not a lynching post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,610 Posts
If more depts continue to adopt the round it will be around after any AWB, the problem may be for non MIL/LEO types.

That said, I do not think we will see much in the first year or even year and a half. People much brighter then myself predict this econ mess will take some time in or around 2 years before it bounces back, and theres 2 wars going on, new terror attacks around the globe, the new Admin will be keeping busy and the "AWB" issue is ancillary to many in politics, and lets face it, we are but a tiny minority to focus on, IF such a "AWB" happens in the next 6 months, we all should be outranged the new admin is not focusing on more pressing matters, quite frankly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
236 Posts
I was thinking more along the lines of ammunition. For example it doesn't take much (executive order) to halt the importation of say "non-sporting" ammunition. I know a lot of people like to shoot Wolf and PMC. I think something like that would drive the price up. Kind of like when GH banned the China imports of ammo/firearms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
The last time we had an AWB, AR uppers were considered a gun part and it was only the lowers and the high cap mags that received the bulk of the scrutiny. After reading the revised AWB proposal, it appears that the ability to purchase an upper may be in jeopardy. The new bill introduces a restriction on barrel shrouds (how that make a firearm more dangerous is beyond me). The hand guards on our AR's could easily be construed as barrel shrouds because the do serve that purpose. The other problem with the new AWB is that this time there is no sunset provision. If it passes, it will literally take an act of congress to repeal it. I don't know about any of you, but I don't trust any of those ya-whos on the hill. They have recently given us plenty of reason not to.

Hope I didn't get too political.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
674 Posts
pantherdude said:
The last time we had an AWB, AR uppers were considered a gun part and it was only the lowers and the high cap mags that received the bulk of the scrutiny. After reading the revised AWB proposal, it appears that the ability to purchase an upper may be in jeopardy. The new bill introduces a restriction on barrel shrouds (how that make a firearm more dangerous is beyond me). The hand guards on our AR's could easily be construed as barrel shrouds because the do serve that purpose. The other problem with the new AWB is that this time there is no sunset provision. If it passes, it will literally take an act of congress to repeal it. I don't know about any of you, but I don't trust any of those ya-whos on the hill. They have recently given us plenty of reason not to.

Hope I didn't get too political.
From one Minnesotan to another... I agree with you 100% on the ya-whos on the hill!! From what I've seen thus far they should be thrown off it!! Off the STEEP side at that!! And the new administration isn't even in there yet!!! :evil: Scary are the times ahead for everyone with "black rifle disease".

My hopes are that our new "president elect" (just saying that makes me throw up a little bit) and his band of roaming misfits will concentrate on more pressing issues. You know... Just the little things like the economy. Or maybe the two wars were in... Heck... Maybe even homeland terrorism...

But if/when they flounder with those, you can bet they'll need to pass some stupid "feel good" law just to pump themselves back up. Enter the new and improved AWB!! :evil: So if this AWB is one of the first issues on thier plate, it should spur nation wide public OUTRAGE!!! How dare they even consider attacking our Constitution and law abiding citizens when they are faced with so much more!!!

Wow... Better get off my soap box and grab my AR and a bible... Geeezzzz Am I bitter, or what? :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
moose-hunter said:
pantherdude said:
The last time we had an AWB, AR uppers were considered a gun part and it was only the lowers and the high cap mags that received the bulk of the scrutiny. After reading the revised AWB proposal, it appears that the ability to purchase an upper may be in jeopardy. The new bill introduces a restriction on barrel shrouds (how that make a firearm more dangerous is beyond me). The hand guards on our AR's could easily be construed as barrel shrouds because the do serve that purpose. The other problem with the new AWB is that this time there is no sunset provision. If it passes, it will literally take an act of congress to repeal it. I don't know about any of you, but I don't trust any of those ya-whos on the hill. They have recently given us plenty of reason not to.

Hope I didn't get too political.
From one Minnesotan to another... I agree with you 100% on the ya-whos on the hill!! From what I've seen thus far they should be thrown off it!! Off the STEEP side at that!! And the new administration isn't even in there yet!!! :evil: Scary are the times ahead for everyone with "black rifle disease".

My hopes are that our new "president elect" (just saying that makes me throw up a little bit) and his band of roaming misfits will concentrate on more pressing issues. You know... Just the little things like the economy. Or maybe the two wars were in... Heck... Maybe even homeland terrorism...

But if/when they flounder with those, you can bet they'll need to pass some stupid "feel good" law just to pump themselves back up. Enter the new and improved AWB!! :evil: So if this AWB is one of the first issues on thier plate, it should spur nation wide public OUTRAGE!!! How dare they even consider attacking our Constitution and law abiding citizens when they are faced with so much more!!!

Wow... Better get off my soap box and grab my AR and a bible... Geeezzzz Am I bitter, or what? :shock:
It's really not all that surprising that they would trample all over the U.S. Constitution. Most of them have never studied it. Even the former lawyers haven't studied much about the Constitution.
I took a few law classes in college back when I was delusional and thought I might want to be an attorney (no offense to any lawyers who might be reading this), and the text were all about case law and very little about the spirit of the law and the writings of our founding fathers. In fact the only reference to any of the founding fathers was a little blurb regarding James Madison found in one of the indexes. I think because there is so much focus on the doctrine of stare decisis and case law, our legal system is really in trouble.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top