6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New member here from Australia. I’ve been looking to build/buy something that floats between .223 and .308 for awhile and just managed to stumble across the 6.8SPC.
Anyway, being from Australia I’m limited to manual action firearms with a minimum barrel length of 16/16.5 inches. I’m looking to possibly build off a Tikka T3, Rem 700 or Savage 10/110 action. If someone or anyone could push me in the right direction for what action to start with an a barrel twist rate that would be great.

Thanks all

·
Registered
508 Posts
Howdy from Western Ohio. Welcome to the forum. My wife and I were just down your way 18 months ago. At least to Syndey, the took a cruise to NZ.
Just wondering how hard it is to get parts to build a rifle and how available is 6.8 SPC? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah very good. How did you like it? If there is ever a next time you should visit Melbourne. Twice the city Sydney is :)
I can currently get my hands on atleast 2 hornady factory loads and reloading components are pretty readily available if you have a good shop. Components wise for the rifle itself I’m not too sure. I’m currently making some phone calls and sending some emails. Though I’d imagine it’s like any obscure cartridge here. You just have too dig a little to find the good stuff.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Most major rifle manufacturers offer left hand versions of their offerings. Don’t know how common they are in Australia but worth a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Most major rifle manufacturers offer left hand versions of their offerings. Don’t know how common they are in Australia but worth a look.
This is correct. That listed actions are the most common is Australia. Though Rem rifles and actions are getting hard to find in lefty.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
This is correct. That listed actions are the most common is Australia. Though Rem rifles and actions are getting hard to find in lefty.
Sorry, didn’t see where you had listed the actions, I need to pay more attention!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
You're probably looking at a custom barrel. The 1:10 6 groove barrels that are commonly available are usually intended for 270 Winchester and are a little too tight for good results with the 6.8. A better choice is 3R or 5R, and 1:11 twist. A lot of those barrels were made for the 6.8. 1:11 will stabilize anything up to 130gr, you don't really need a faster twist unless you plan on shooting subsonic heavy bullets.

I'd use a Savage, but that's just me. Tikka is good. Remington can be good if your gunsmith is paid well, but I'd avoid anything Remington made in the last 15 years.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Welcome. My wife is from NZ.
I'm a lefty as well.
My Savage is pretty good, but the quality of my Tikka is much nicer.
I really wouldnt buy a remington. No offense to those that like them. Many, many issues the last several (many) years.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I spoke to a gun smith. He said he would prefer to work off a Tikka action so that suits me. Hopefully have it complete within the next few months. Now to decide on the optic. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope with a NP-1 reticle. But considering a S&B 6x42 PM II instead. Any other ideas you guys want to throw at me?

·
Registered
508 Posts
So I spoke to a gun smith. He said he would prefer to work off a Tikka action so that suits me. Hopefully have it complete within the next few months. Now to decide on the optic. I have a Nightforce 2.5-10x32 scope with a NP-1 reticle. But considering a S&B 6x42 PM II instead. Any other ideas you guys want to throw at me?
There are so many good optics out there now. I guess I should ask what optics are available there? How much do you want to spend? Mil dot or MOA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There are so many good optics out there now. I guess I should ask what optics are available there? How much do you want to spend? Mil dot or MOA?
Absolutely there is. It’ll used to hunt to maybe 300metres on small to medium thin skinned animals, and maybe steel and paper as far as I can take it. I’m opting for a fixed X scope to keep things light and simple. So, any ideas about fixed power scopes would be great.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Absolutely there is. It’ll used to hunt to maybe 300metres on small to medium thin skinned animals, and maybe steel and paper as far as I can take it. I’m opting for a fixed X scope to keep things light and simple. So, any ideas about fixed power scopes would be great.
SWFA has some great fixed power scopes at decent prices.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Acogs are nice, but might I suggest a LPVO instead. I nice 1-6 or 1-8 can be had relatively cheaply with decent glass and weight.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts