6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think of the new AUG/MSAR AUG?

I am considering that or a PS90 for kicks, thoughts?

Also whats the deal with UG mags good or hard to find or? any other issues I should know?

·
Registered
170 Posts
PS90's are pretty freaking sweet.

If you buy one sbr it through cmmg. :mrgreen:

·
Banned
76 Posts
OK Cold-I went out and "bit the bullit" this spring and bought the MSAR with the rail and put an EoTech 516 on it. I bought the "trigger tamer" and installed it and the trigger has some creep but it is WAY cleaner and lighter than my FS2000 so big improvement. I put one of their 3" rails on the right side for flashlights and put a Giles sling on it. Looks great and realistically cost the same as the PS90. The reason I went with the MSAR is ammo availability and mags are not really expensive at $30 each-compared to the PS90.
One thing to note the MSAR likes hot 5.56 ammo, occaisionally will not feed .223 lighter ammo, runs 100% with 55 grain M193 spec. I put my 4x ACOG clone on it one time and just tried it at 50 yards for fun and it put 15 of the 20 rounds I shot into an inch :eek:
The gun is very accurate but realistically I feel a red dot is best suited to this type of gun.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BullittBoy said:
OK Cold-I went out and "bit the bullit" this spring and bought the MSAR with the rail and put an EoTech 516 on it. I bought the "trigger tamer" and installed it and the trigger has some creep but it is WAY cleaner and lighter than my FS2000 so big improvement. I put one of their 3" rails on the right side for flashlights and put a Giles sling on it. Looks great and realistically cost the same as the PS90. The reason I went with the MSAR is ammo availability and mags are not really expensive at $30 each-compared to the PS90.
One thing to note the MSAR likes hot 5.56 ammo, occaisionally will not feed .223 lighter ammo, runs 100% with 55 grain M193 spec. I put my 4x ACOG clone on it one time and just tried it at 50 yards for fun and it put 15 of the 20 rounds I shot into an inch :eek:
The gun is very accurate but realistically I feel a red dot is best suited to this type of gun.

Ugh, you had to go and say this..... I cannot decide, AUG (MSAR) or PS90.

Im leaning on the AUG, there are quite a few ps90s out now, might hold out for a used PS90 and get a new AUG.

Is MSAR reporting any issues or is it working fine on this first gen run.

·
Registered
94 Posts
AXR or wait for the Steyr produced version with the STANAG magazine conversion. I don't need another type of mag.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Just went through this decision process and went with the MSAR. Even many hard core Steyr fans are disappointed in the new USA AUG's configuration. It is not what they expected or hoped for from Steyr. Meanwhile, the MSAR is available now with lots of configuration options and they have already announced the availability of a replacement stock that uses STANAG/AR15 mags sometime very early in 2009. No, it will not be cheap at ~$300, but that makes the 'break even' point about 7 or 8 AUG or MSAR mags.

The big news for this forum is that MSAR claims they will also offer a 6.8 barrel assembly and bolt very early in 2009. They plan to formally announce it at Shot. I'm not sure of the chamber or twist. That, combined with the AR mag compatible stock would really enhance our 6.8 magazine investments. To my knowledge, niether Steyr nor AXR are working on a 6.8 (but I could be wrong :wink: ).

The current so called '4th Gen MSARs (easily identifiable because of no forward assist) will take either the MSAR mags or the original Steyr mags, so availability is pretty good and capacity with either goes all the way up to 42 rounds. Also, with these '4th Gen' models and the '3rd Gen' models that still have a FA, MSAR seems to have worked out any the issues from the very early rifles. They now appear to run 100%.

Lots of good info on arfcom in the Armory / Bullpup section on the MSAR, the AXR, and the USA AUG. Also, ratworxusa.com has a lot of info on what's coming as they will be the main distributor for these new pieces. A phone call will get more info than the web site gives. Nice people to talk to, as well.

Kerry (the other Kerry)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hello,

Know you if Steyr USA took out bolt and barrel in 6.8 SPC ???
Thank you for your answers

X' tian (very big fan of AUG) :a14:

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Not that I've heard of. And I have wanted one for a long time. I have a 1st gen AUG and a Gen IV MSAR, wasn't able to get one for the MSAR. All gone by the time I saw them...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The girl I'm dating's brother has the MSAR and he likes it. I got to play with it hands on with an EOTech 512 on it. The gun is pretty accurate and fun to shoot. The trigger feels like complete **** in my opinion though. We did find that it hates steel case ammo (we tried TulAmmo 55gr). With brass it fed reliably without issue, with the steel cases it jammed about every two rounds and we actually ended up with a case stuck in the chamber. Let me tell you how fun that was. Overall the few times we've played with it, its a lot of fun to shoot as long as you use brass cases ammo.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts