6.8 SPC Forums banner

221 - 236 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #221
Ozark, this is a wrap from gunskins.com I thought they had the better pattern for an AR.

Reactions: ozarkpugs

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
disclaimer warning: all you hunters stay away from this post. It will suck you in and not let you go.
Just like "Brer Rabbits Tar Baby". Run, save your bank account.....run like Forrest Gump

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Half the game wardens (2) I have talked to in Mo. say the 4K pro night / day scope is leagl for deer hunting as long as you don't have the IR in your possession and the other 2 say" the law says it is illegal to have a night vision optic in your possession where game can be taken and it's illegal with or without the IR light . I didn't want the hassle if stopped by the nay Sayers so I decided to get a day only 4k and just use the night vision capable for feral hogs and varmints around the property . They are identical with the exception there is no night vision option in menu.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
I find the dawn dusk capability to be as good or better than my scopes. looking toward the sun has been a challenge. Definitely use the sunshade. I also used a lens cover with a 9mm case hole in it but don't remember that helping any more than the sunshade alone. Will need to go back in the thread to find out.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
If you look back at the picture with the tactical scope mounts, there is room on the scope's tube in front of the forward ring to install an ATN scope ring to hang the illuminator(s). After I verify performance without them attached, I may try the illuminators hanging back on the scope.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I find the dawn dusk capability to be as good or better than my scopes. looking toward the sun has been a challenge. Definitely use the sunshade. I also used a lens cover with a 9mm case hole in it but don't remember that helping any more than the sunshade alone. Will need to go back in the thread to find out.
The hole in the cap improves depth of field greatly at short ranges .It allows me to focus at 100 and have a clear picture at 25 yards . It makes a huge difference on my atn binoculars too .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Howdy Xman, I have had the 3x14 since last Dec and I have gotten quite a bit of use out of it. I agree with pretty much everything you had to say about it. I was talking to ATN the other day and they told me that I could trade up for the 5x20 if I wanted to. I'm sorta on the fence still though. For deer, a long shot on our place is under a hundred yards but for hogs at night, it's 318 yards to the feeder from the back porch. With the supernova illuminator, I have no problem ID'ing hogs at that distance. Anyway, after 1 firmware update and some trial and error, I really like this scope, as you said, it does not provide the daytime clarity of traditional glass but, it is more than enough for targeting. During the day, if the hogs are dumb enough to come out, my furthest shot could get up to around 350 yards and I have no doubt that I could reach out and touch them at the distance if I were of a mind to.

In one of your earlier post you were discussing issues with the ATN QD mount. I had some issues there as well. Ordered the first one and went to switch it from the bolt gun back to the 6.8 AR and when I went to lock the front lever, it just came off in my hand. Was not happy. Called ATN and told them what happened and they sent me a new one, good on them. Got the new one and re-mounted the scope in it and put it on the 6.8, being careful not to over-tighten the jam nuts and put it away for the night. Got up the next morning and was going to go sight it in and during the night, the front bolt had snapped in two. This was static, with under a 15 inch lb load on it. At least I still had one good bolt from the original mount so I used that on the new one. Zeroed the 6.8, took the scope off, then re-installed and checked Zero and it was still dead on. We'll see how it does after I run some .308 through it and try again. Thanks for your running write up/analysis, you put out a lot of insightful and useful info. I will try and attach a pic from the porch to the feeder at night, (318 yards on 14 power),
Night pig.png
Night pig.png you are correct also in that the downloaded picture quality is far below what you actually see in the scope.
Night pig.png

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
SARGUY, glad your ATN-X 4K is working out and you are able to take shots at 300+ yards. I really appreciate the SuperNova illuminator at those long distances.

I haven't been able to engage any hogs at night yet with the Burris Tactical Rings but did take some shots to view video and look for blurring of the image. The rings make a perceivable improvement. I'm not going back to the ATN supplied rings. For $70, the Burris Rings are more than worth it and much thicker and stiffer than the ATN rings. I decided to move the illuminator back onto the scope so took a hack saw the offset ring I have not used. The operation wasn't too hard and a file cleaned up the edges quickly. The clipped ring with upper illuminator attachment It fit snuggly in front of the Burris Ring. Putting the illuminator back on the scope cleaned the rifle up. I've just switch the gear over to a 224 Valkyrie upper and will try that set-up on hogs and coyotes with 55gr E-Tips at 3400 fps.

Reactions: Ratdog68

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
I haven't run into any hogs since I did the configuration change with the scope rings. Video taken when target shooting showed no blurring during recoil. I did catch a coyote on the run at sunrise this week. Even as the rising sun washed out the image, it remained clear during and after the shot so I'm sold on this scope ring configuration. I only wish I had tried these rings sooner.

I did capture some RAV that shows the difficulty shooting into the sun. My stand is set-up for fall/winter hunting when the lower rising sun is not an issue. During the summer it is directly into the rising sun to look into the field. Here is a collection of screen captures showing how quickly the sun can blind optics (digital or optical scopes). I had the sunshade installed but I will need to extend it with a cardboard tube like I do on my optical scopes. The sun reflecting off your face into the eye piece is as much an issue as sun on the objective lens. I didn't have the rubber eye-piece installed so the light reflecting off my face made my view worse than what is recorded here. All I could make out was the tail so I put the cross-hairs well in front of the tail and pulled the trigger before the image was completely washed out.

The 55gr E-Tip at 3400 fps out of the Valkyrie did a number on this coyote entering just behind the shoulder. I believe the two columns rising from the 'yote is body fluid turned to mist coming from the entry/exit wound. A huge pile of crap was literally blown out the back end also.

It felt good to have a day with successes.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Using the 224 Valkyrie, connected with a large boar at 4:50am this morning that was 5-feet long. It was a 175-yard shot and the 55 E-Tip dispatched it without a step. There was a small .22-cal entrance hole into the boar's shoulder/shield. There was no exit but I've not had exit wounds with my 6.8mm at 75 yards on boars this big with shields. This performance on hogs at this range is encouraging. Nice clear video through the shot - I like this scope ring set-up.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Xman what are your ring heights? I just ordered a 3x14 for my Savage bolt action chambered in 17 HMR, my prairie dog rifle. I'm leaning on going with extra high rings to make sure I can work my bolt. I talked to the rancher today and he told me badgers, coyotes and bobcats are thick this year and prowl the dog town at night.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #233
ac, my rings are the standard 1.5 inches above the mounting rail (standard AR). This ATN scope is configured like a standard scope so I'm not seeing how it would interfer with a bolt action rifle. I find having scopes mounted too high on my non-ARs problematic. I would start low and work up. Do you have other 30mm rings you can use as a test case?

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Here is an energy vs expansion plot for the .224 55 GMX (red) and 55 E-Tip (green stars). The E-Tip was tested in 1:8 twist at a lower muzzle velocity so expansion should be greater than shown, it could be as much as 0.6 inches in diameter.

·
Registered
834 Posts
ac, my rings are the standard 1.5 inches above the mounting rail (standard AR). This ATN scope is configured like a standard scope so I'm not seeing how it would interfer with a bolt action rifle. I find having scopes mounted too high on my non-ARs problematic. I would start low and work up. Do you have other 30mm rings you can use as a test case?
Thank You. I don't have it yet to see the shape. I was going by the original X-Sight that I had. They were bulky and could interfere with the bolt throw on some rifles when positioned far enough back for good eye relief.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
Referencing the hog shot in post #231, here is the screen capture just before the trigger broke. It shows the benefit if a more powerful illuminator if you are shooting past 100-125 yards which the standard illuminator will cover adequately. This is using ATN's IR850 SuperNova. There are other illuminators that are more powerful. This just shows you what this one is capable of.

221 - 236 of 236 Posts