6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 236 Posts

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I’ve been hunting hogs with a red spot light mounted on the forward part of the handguard with Trijicon 1-4 Accupoint. I also have a green laser for when the hogs start scattering after the first shot which has been effective inside of 75 yards. I wanted to step up to a night vision scope for my 6.8mm without a large investment. The 1[SUP]st[/SUP] generation ATN-X had many negative reviews which I am familiar with. The 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] gen ATN-X fixed many issues with the scope but there still have been mixed reviews. A friend just received the new 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] gen 5-20x ATN-X 4k and has been too busy to use it. I was very fortunate that he let me do an eval on it. I will be getting the 3-14x for the wider FOV for engaging hogs at 50 to 75 yards but thought this would be a great opportunity to experience ATN’s new product. I have no other night scope experience but have military aviation time with night vision and thermal devises.

First impressions when opening the box of the 5-20x ATN-X 4k was positive – “this is very nice.” The unit appears rugged, not frail. The unit also was upgraded with an IR Supernova Illuminator but it was DOA so I was unable to evaluate its benefit over the standard illuminator. I’ve seen a couple of reviews where the illuminator has stopped functioning for others and the units have been replaced by ATN. Except for not being able to use rechargeable batteries, the standard illuminator is of good quality, lighter weight, and I like the simplicity of it and its rotary switch. The full-focused beam covered the entire 5x FOV.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Its a Different Scope Experience

This is a completely different scope experienced. If you purchase one of these, I suggest sitting down with the manual and exercising the functions you will use before you go to the range or hunt with the scope. Maybe do that twice if you plan to use advanced feature. The more I used the scope the easier its operation became. Note, you need to set the hardware configuration out of the box. The software doesn’t know which model it is loaded on. The “Interface” section of the owner’s manual has not been updated for the new scope’s altered button configuration. The menus shown do not always match the ones I see in the scope. I unknowingly turned off Advanced Features which prevented me from activating Recoil Activated Video. I took me a day to sort through what had happened with tips from another user who already had the ATN-X scope. The OK button is a bit sensitive. If you hit it lightly, it will move menu left or right instead of activating the OK function. I found that I had to hold the OK switch depressed for a “potato” then it works fine. I did have the unit freeze twice. The readouts and features freeze and you can’t switch modes, but the viewing through the scope is still good and you can still shoot. Once zoom still worked the other it was froze also. I had already practiced a forced restart, e.g., hold Power button for 15 sec. The unit restarted and was working fine less than 10 seconds later. The manual doesn’t tell you what modes have been disabled and not working in this first release of software. It looks like a lot of the features are easier to use connected to a smart phone which I do not have. I can wait for the bells and whistles to arrive in the next firmware update. Out of the box, the unit has everything I needed to hunt with, e.g., day/night mode, brightness adjust, zoom, reticle zero, and a reticle with tics for hold over.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the Range

First trip to the range was positive. Don’t expect to look at the 100 yard target and read lines with the clarity of a $500 scope. Even though this is an HD 1080-line display (1K), it does not compete with 20/20 eyesight. Since sensor is 4K, image clarity is maintained through double the zoom of the base power, e.g., 10x for the ATN-X 5-20 and 6x for the ATN-X 3-14. Zooming after that is just increasing the pixel size. Still adequate to hunt with and hit the vitals. The scope needs to be focused for distance which is the large ring on the front objective lens, similar to where parallax adjustments were before they moved to a knob opposite windage. Zoom is a rotary encoder on the left main body of the scope. The encoder doesn’t necessarily pick up every increment of turn but I did not find it interfered with functionality.

The unit easily mounted on my rifle with the supplied scope rings. There is not much eye relief. It is fine with 6.8mm recoil. One-shot reticle adjustment worked like a charm but I miss not being able to click in ¼ MOA adjustments (like I said, a different scope experience). At 100 yards, I marked a large cross over the center of grouping to make adjustment so the grouping was clear to see in the light conditions. I might be better off to use “see-me” targets instead of plain paper. I did not go to the 200-300 yard range as winds were whipping all over the place with buffet at the bench. They suggest saving zeros for multiple ranges, e.g., 100 yards, 300 yards, 500 yards (if you have a hi-power illuminator), etc. You can’t dial a come-up. I did select the graduated reticle. On 7x, each mark was 2” at 100 yards. 14x would be 1 moa markings so you could make adjustments similar to ¼ moa clicks by referencing the reticle.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
In the Darkness

In the darkness of my neighborhood, I did not need an illuminator to look down the street. The unit picked up enough light to see around/under bushes and trees out to 350+ yards (no place for anyone to hide). With a full moon away from lights on country roads, I could see a grainy night-vision google like image as far as the terrain was in-view. Turn on the illuminator and the sensor readjusted to the illuminator’s light intensity and picture clarity was impressive. I still haven’t determined how far away the standard illuminator works but it appears to be at least 100 yards.

A couple other notes, it is easy to hit the ON button and start the unit up – so ensure it’s off when you put it away. I would not take out the mini SD card in the field as there is a high chance you will lose it because it is so small. You also have to be careful inserting the mini-card because if you miss the slot the card can drop inside the unit. I typically run a scope that is one pound or less in weight on top of my ARs. This unit is basically 2.5 pounds with illuminator so I’ve added a sling to make carry easier. I’ve been using the scope at the range, in the back yard, and country roads getting familiar with it and adjusting the IR beam for 5 days and the battery is down to just 75%. BTW, the battery is warranted for 6 years (4 years longer than the unit itself).

I am particular about user interfaces and can suggest several improvements. But I have worked through my initial frustration and am excited to go hunting with the ATN-X 4K Pro. Hopefully, that will be in the next couple of days. The images through the scope look just like those on the ATN website. I’ll try and recover some images from my first hunt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks X-Man, good job.

BTW ATN told me the SD card issue re card falling inside unit, will require a recall. Also, next firmware will address cloudy display.

They also told me I have to return unit to place where I purchased. I bought it from ATN Factory Outlet Store and UPS delivered it to them today. They are crediting full amount to my PayPal account.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Yes, thanks for the review, Xman. That bug is also nibbling on me. Got chickens. In the country. Racoons, feral dogs, feral cats, opossums, and who knows what all. Need an equalizer, and it's looking like this just may be it.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I got my first hunt in and was out in the field at 4am. The 3-hour hunt reduced battery reading by 15% down to 60% (the unit was on the entire hunt). This after operating the unit on and off for 6 days. The night had a full moon that allowed a grainy image without an illuminator and was better than the naked eye. I could make out shapes and animals in direct moon light. I was using the High light sensitivity (15 fps vs 30 fps) which had a slight blur when moving POI a significant amount. Even with a full moon, I could not see under the forest canopy (moon shadow) without illuminator. With the standard illuminator turned on, I had no problem picking out a feeder tucked under the trees at 150 yards. I could see trees brighten up with the illuminator on out to 300 yards but these were in moon light to begin with. I need more experience using the standard illuminator at the longer ranges to determine its longer range effectiveness.
Videos were not taken due to operator error. Again, I should have read the direction manual completely and tried the feature at home. The Quick Start directions cover how to select the Recoil Activated Video (RAV) mode from the shortcut menu, but did not mention that it has to be activated (the same action/right button that turns on video if not in the RAV mode). I shot a coyote at 100 yards just before 5am. The rancher said I should have shot the skunks I saw. No hogs came out but review of the trail cameras show they are most active from 10pm to 3am so I’ll have to go back out during those times.

You can notice the auto gain feature working to give the best scene. That is why the image goes initially gray when turning the illuminator on until the auto gian brings the image back in from the increased illumination. Foliage close to you can reflect IR illuminator back toward you, reducing the clarity of the image at distance. To improve effectiveness, get the illuminator beam up above the tall grass around you and keep close-in tree branches out of the scene as much as possible.

Pictures taken in Night mode were way darker than what was seen in the scope display – even with the illuminator on. If the illuminator was off, the picture was just black. The dark one shown below was clear as a bell in the scope. I could even see the feeder needed filling by the corn sight gauge (5x at 75 yards). I was able to clearly see in daytime mode more than 30 minutes before sunrise (2[SUP]nd[/SUP] picture). The 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] picture is a doe coming out about 10 minutes before sunrise. Note, this initial firmware does not include any graphics other than date/time in the picture image and that is not easy to read. The first update will make the date/time readable and add the reticle. I also miss not having a clock display in the scope scene. They show it on the ATN-X Gen2s so maybe it will show up in a future firmware update (the advantage of software to add new features).

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Dear X-Sight 4K Series customers!
Here are a few improvements included in the newest firmware update:

<tbody>
</tbody>

Release Notes:
1. Improved Reticle Display on Media
2. Activation of Gallery
3. Enhancements to Zeroing and Ballistic Calculator
4. Improvements to RAV Feature
5. Improvements to Image Quality
6. Activation of Sleep Mode Featurey

Just got email

<tbody>
</tbody>

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Yes, the first firmware was released last week and can be downloaded from the ATN website. The update process was very easy and the instructions were clear (read them twice before doing the task). The update took less than 60 seconds after I inserted the mini-SD card into the scope. My zero’s were lost put I had written them down (read that previously in the instructions, did something right). I left the mini-SD card in place and used the reformat function to erase the firmware file off the disk which also cleared all the photos and videos.

Regarding improvements in the new firmware:

Release Notes:
1. Improved Reticle Display on Media – (yes, now there is the reticle and a readable date/time on the pictures and videos.)
2. Activation of Gallery – (nice to have feature)
3. Enhancements to Zeroing and Ballistic Calculator (I did not notice enhancements to zero. It already works satisfactory. I did not utilize the ballistic calculator. Many of the advanced functions are intended to use with a smart phone which I do not have)
4. Improvements to RAV Feature – (RAV did not activate with 6.8mm recoil. I wonder if recoil sensing is working properly in the specific unit I have. A buddy with the same scope has RAV working with his .308 Win)
5. Improvements to Image Quality – (I did not notice any improvement. Image quality in the scope is already good. Daytime pictures are as good as what you see in the scope. Night pictures did not improve. Night and day video is good but not as good as what you see in the scope.)
6. Activation of Sleep Mode Featurey – (I did not use, I left scope on the entire hunt because it consumes so little battery.)

Notes:
- The keypad now works closer to what the manual shows.
- The % battery icon charged to just a battery icon with fill bars. When recharging, they now only show a charging bolt icon with no recharge level so you can’t tell if it is finished recharging unless you unplug it. I left scope on recharge for 1/2 a day. When pulled the cable to see battery read-out, it still showed 1 bar down which was where it was when I started the charge. This feature may need more work. I miss the prior % indications that was always shown.

More later after I compile my notes from last nights moon-less, star-less hunt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks again, XMan. If I would have had your review I might not have sent it back for a refund.

I get caught in a lot of gully washers in the woods I hunt in and I'm still concerned about the SD receptacle. ATN is working on it but not being able to cover the receptacle with the rubber cap without ejecting the SD card is not acceptable. Otherwise I liked the unit. I still question sending it back...

I did get a used Armasight CO-MR at a good price but haven't tested it hunting yet and won't be able to until the end of June. If not satisfied I will sell it and get another 4k... It is supposedly TOTALLY submersible waterproof

·
Registered
834 Posts
On the X-sight 1 and 2 the x-y only moved single numbers when at full magnification for sighting in. Doesn't seem right if they changed this.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
On the X-sight 1 and 2 the x-y only moved single numbers when at full magnification for sighting in. Doesn't seem right if they changed this.
ac, this is a good point. Thank you! I entered in the zero coordinates at 5x after I loaded the new firmware, while before on the range I adjusted the scope on 20x. This is my misunderstanding and shows there is more for me to learn about the scope. I just changed the magnification to 20x and could readjust to the original coordinates. I was confused because the Y coordinates on 5x can be changed in single increments. I'm going to do a dedicated post on sight-in with pictures because it is unique compared to an optical scope and how the cursor is positioned in the fixed scene. I've learned some more about the process since I used it on my 300 BO Subsonic.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Thanks again, XMan. If I would have had your review I might not have sent it back for a refund.

I get caught in a lot of gully washers in the woods I hunt in and I'm still concerned about the SD receptacle. ATN is working on it but not being able to cover the receptacle with the rubber cap without ejecting the SD card is not acceptable. Otherwise I liked the unit. I still question sending it back...
Hogdaddy, I've been wondering if some hunters get frustrated trying to work through quirks or just how this scope is different from a regular scope and end up sending it back. I do software integration testing at the day job so am used to finding things not working perfectly.

If there is anything that seems to be delicate about this scope, it’s the SD card and its slot. If you push down in the center of the SD cover to make sure it is seated, it will unlatch the mini-SD card. You have to push on the edges only to get the cover to seat. I have not had the cover come off in two hunts doing it this way. Also, I only remove the SD card at home in a well-lit area with my in-close reading glasses on. I may start using tweezers or removed the battery cover on the illuminator to make a clear path. I run with the illuminator on the right side so its on top of the brass catcher and away from the body when using a sling. If they allowed the mini-SD card to be accessed remotely via the USB charging cable or wireless via a tablet, I'd leave the card in and not ever take it out. I've also thought about installing a rubber band over the body of the scope to secure the SD cover but if I don't press it in the center, its been doing ok.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I did the same thing XMan, ie push down on the edges of the rubber cover vice the center, and you are right, if you're careful it won't eject the SD. I was more concerned however, about the fact that if you aren't careful when you slide the sd into the recepticle, and it's dark, or you think it's in and keep pushing, or whatever, it has the potential to continue to slide into the unit. At that point the only way you can get it out is to remove the 2 VERY SMALL screws and take off the entire cover of the receptacle. Then go into the unit with tweezers to grab the errant SD and remove it, then replace the cover and screws and hope the little buggers didn't fall into the circuits below.

As I said, customer service told me to send the unit back for repair, that they were expecting the hardware in a few weeks and they would return it once completed. Which meant to me that they released the product, knowing of the problem. That's when I told them I wanted my money back.

·
Registered
559 Posts
X-man,

Thanks for the follow up with the updated firmware.

Sounds like the quirks are being worked out and functionality getting better.

I can feel the hot breath of the bug on my backside. I think it just a matter of time before it bites.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Great thread. I had my Xsight II for over a year now. Some suggestions. Play with it a lot. If you can shoot at night do it. Go early shoot during daylight and shoot as I gets dark into full darkness. As we know that perfect shot materializes quick and can be lost as quickly. You need to be able to function in the field by knowing when to change from daylight to night, how much zoom you can use at specific ranges and how to focus the scope on the fly. Takes practice. I was hunting in AL in March and one of the guys in camp had the Xsight II and on the first night he could not get it to work. It was a simple issue of adjusting the illuminator. I was able to help him when we got back to the lodge but his first night with the scope sucked because he didn’t practice and know his equipment in and out.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good advise, ghackworth! The ATN-X is not a conventional optical scope and operates differently.

Hogdaddy, I would not be trying to extract/insert the mini-SD card in the field or in the dark. That card is so tiny, I drop things 20x bigger when I'm out hunting and never find them. I'm very cautious when using that mini-SD card even at home.

If the card does go down inside, don't be alarmed. You can fix the issue. Another ATN-X 4K owner recommended trying this. With small jewelers screwdrivers, unscrew both screws and carefully remove the cover. Don’t drop screws into the circuits. Remove the SD card with tweezers. Before replacing the cover and screws put several layers of black electrical tape (or self-adhearing silicon tape) over the edge of the cover adjacent to the SD card lot. Not real big pieces, just small strips. This closes the gap between the slot and the cover.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now that I have video capability in a scope and recorded files can get large, does anyone have recommendations for a software app that I can use to edit and/or reduce the file size?

1 - 20 of 236 Posts