6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,791 Posts
People keep running around making videos of them shooting it from their shoulder, what do you expect?
Thank you !

My pistol brace equipped pistol has a red dot sight, DESIGNED to be used at a distance. It was built to be used at arm's length. I may even pull the red dot and install a flashlight/laser combo instead... just to make it more efficient at arm's length, or from the hip, etc.

My carbines/rifles get scopes... which are DESIGNED to be shot from the shoulder. This isn't rocket science.

Reactions: 270

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Let's say the speed limit is 55 but the state police agree if you occasionally go 70 while passing a 18 wheeler it will overlooked . How long would they overlook the occasional breech of the posted speed if idiots kept posting videos of themselves going 70 and bragging they were talking advantage of the ruling . No matter what idiots have to show their stupid a$$ and ruin it for everyone .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Q isn't the most politically correct person anyways lol. Wouldn't surprise me if he rubbed it in some ATF agents face or something. :) Did always amaze me that people would rather spend 150$ on a brace instead of 200 on a stamp. I got both but have always known the opinion would eventually get over turned.

·
Registered
137 Posts
This is not really surprising if you read the ATF letter to SB Tactical in March 2017. It made a few important points that have been generally ignored. The determination is for a brace "...designed, intended and marketed for use only to shoot from the arm..." Many current braces have been marketed, or at least widely demonstrated, as shoulder stocks. A number of the newer, more stock-like braces also are not optimized for use as forearm braces. The foam on the unit evaluated was soft and floppy to easily conform the the shape of the shooters forearm.

The ATF also noted that the particular pistol/brace that they evaluated was not comfortable to shoot from the shoulder, something they consider pertinent to demonstrating "intent". The key sentence is: "With respect to stabilizing braces, ATF has concluded that attaching the brace to a handgun as a forearm brace does not "make" a short-barreled rifle because in the configuration as submitted to and approved by the FATD, it is not intended to be and cannot comfortably be fired from the shoulder."

A while back I joked that attorneys will probably start telling their braced-pistol owners to yell "OUCH" each time they shoot them from the shoulder.
The March 2017 ATF can be seen on SB Tactical's website: BATFE Letter: Reversal of Opinion on Use | SB Tactical

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Q isn't the most politically correct person anyways lol. Wouldn't surprise me if he rubbed it in some ATF agents face or something. :) Did always amaze me that people would rather spend 150$ on a brace instead of 200 on a stamp. I got both but have always known the opinion would eventually get over turned.
It's not always the $200 . Not every state is sbr friendly or even rifle friendly , example being Arkansas . In arkansas it is legal to have a 10" 6.8 with a brace loaded in your car but any rifle must be unloaded and locked in a case . Also some states , Mo as an example , allows AR pistols to be used in alternative season but not rifles . So for some of us if we could get a sbr stamp in 1 day and free we would still prefer to have a brace . All my shooting is done on private land and never filmed but were I to go somewhere public or post a video you would se me being very careful not to let the brace near my shoulder . Why idiots want to poke a hornets nest with defiant videos is beyond me .

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
It's not always the $200 . Not every state is sbr friendly or even rifle friendly , example being Arkansas . In arkansas it is legal to have a 10" 6.8 with a brace loaded in your car but any rifle must be unloaded and locked in a case . Also some states , Mo as an example , allows AR pistols to be used in alternative season but not rifles . So for some of us if we could get a sbr stamp in 1 day and free we would still prefer to have a brace . All my shooting is done on private land and never filmed but were I to go somewhere public or post a video you would se me being very careful not to let the brace near my shoulder . Why idiots want to poke a hornets nest with defiant videos is beyond me .

It is surprising to me how many of them have never read the letter or if they did, misconstrued it to mean that it was OK to shoot from the shoulder. What I took it to mean was that if you happened to shoot it from the shoulder in a certain situation or did it due to habit or muscle memory then you are fine as long as you didn't build it with the intent of shouldering it. I have seen multiple videos put out by manufacturers showing people shouldering their brace and that has not helped the misunderstanding at all. Here is the pertinent part of the letter:

sporadic use2.jpg

Reactions: ozarkpugs

·
Super Moderator
21,791 Posts
One reason I refuse to play the stamp game... all of the "Mother? May I???..." B.S. associated with a stamped weapon. Letters of permission to move around with it, etc. Homie ain't playin' that game.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
It was only a matter of time for this to happen. The majority of users intended to get around SBR rules and now we have too many to count in use and the ATF knows this. They only have 2 choices now: enforce the rules or change the rules. Enforcement is the most likely path...

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
It would be great if they would just remove any SBR, SBS or suppressor verbiage from the NFA but I don't see that happening anytime soon.

·
Registered
97 Posts

Totally agree there are valid reasons for pistols and with your wording I would assume your using it to follow the law, not skirt it. Ill have to look into the Arkansas laws you mentioned(its different than I've been instructed), I've spent most my life here and NE Texas and keep a year long travel approval for mine. Its very common here, specially during hunting season to ride with loaded rifles since running dogs is a thing. From my correspondence with the ATF is, the SBR is only a NFA item if its in its NFA configuration. So removing stock/foregrip and putting a pistol brace on it, makes it a pistol. So it made sense for me to keep both. The ATF answer was pretty open ended and I'm told this is because they don't want to make a precise opinion. If ATF opinion letters are like IRS opinion letters, they only apply to the person who submitted the question; however, we use them for guidance. My uneducated guess is the majority of the 4 million pistol brace sales since the sba opinion letter was to skirt the law and not for intended purpose.

·
Super Moderator
11,888 Posts
This guy is full of himself. ATF is not going to change their mind on a ruling because people wrote letters and made videos. If this was something they put out and asked for input like they quite often do then yes, the more info they get the better but interpreting the law has nothing to do with peoples feelings. The

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This guy is full of himself. ATF is not going to change their mind on a ruling because people wrote letters and made videos. If this was something they put out and asked for input like they quite often do then yes, the more info they get the better but interpreting the law has nothing to do with peoples feelings. The
Yes I dont think the ATF changed their mind from letters. I think more than likely they changed from the legal challenges that were already lining up.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts