6.8 SPC Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody here have any interest in a fairly inexpensive (especially compared to the current offerings) blast shield that fits directly into an ASR muzzle device?

The machinist I use for stuff is getting ready to start working on one I wanted to see if there may be any takers.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
The idea would be something real basic and functional, like the SSS blast shield for YHM mounts:

We wouldn't worry about a locking mechanism of any kind. Simply use the threads on the muzzle devices and take advantage of the taper to secure it similar to the Griffin design. Definitely planning on stainless steel, and may have them finished black. He pays per batch for that service, so the more pieces the more the cost is spread out.

To give you an idea of the guy's work, he made some Trident fixed adapters for a buddy of mine and a couple others have ordered them:

He's also wrapping up a batch of Ti direct thread adapters for an Omega:

As well as Ti end caps he's been making for a little while:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Interested. Any idea how much they may sell for?
I don't. I'm guessing $75 or less, but not sure.

He sold the SS version of the Trident adapter for $35/shipped. This piece will use more material, but also won't need the external threading done. Most everybody has said they'd pay a little extra for it to be black instead of raw. He gets charged by the batch, so the more pieces he can spread that expense across the better it'll be.

If you think you're serious about one, let me know and I'll send you his info. Whoever "orders" one will be on a list and that will be the minimum number he makes. (As of now, that's only 5...as we've kinda been discussing it on AR15 for awhile). I'm sure he'll make some extra, but no idea how many.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
price on the encaps??
I believe they're $45/shipped. They're Ti, and unfinished. You'd just need to let him know bore size. I believe we decided on .300" for 5.56 and .375" for 7.62, but he'll make whatever. I know he made a .240" for a guy here to use on a 17HMR.

He started with either the standard six Omega holes or a staggered pattern with three for a Saker wrench and three for an Omega wrench. He may or may not have a few of those already made. From now on, they'll have the oblong holes as seen above, which will accept either SiCo wrench.

Here's a pic of the staggered pattern (and the .240" hole):

And then the standard 6 holes look like this:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I dig the oblong holes.... is this the guy that makes adaptor for tar heel?
Same guy. We only used Tar Heel to do the preorder on the adapters. The machinist has been selling them directly since then. I think he may give Scott some every once in awhile to add to the site.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Hmmmm okay I got a saker and an omega in jail right now soon to be out as well as a form 1 can... I contacted him about an adaptor for the the form 1 to fit the Saker mount but he got busy and never replied... might have to get in contact with him again to get some encaps and adaptors

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Hmmmm okay I got a saker and an omega in jail right now soon to be out as well as a form 1 can... I contacted him about an adaptor for the the form 1 to fit the Saker mount but he got busy and never replied... might have to get in contact with him again to get some encaps and adaptors
I don't think he's done anything for the Saker. He does have one of my end caps, but has spent his time on other stuff so far.

Were you wanted an adapter for an F1 can that would let it attach directly into a SiCi Trifecta mount? I don't think he could do that due to the locking mechanism. If you were just wanting an adapter that would let you use a Saker MAAD adapter with an F1 can, that shouldn't be a problem. He'd just take his Omega/MAAD adapter and make the external threads different.

I'd definitely contact him again.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yea talked to him about the saker Maad mount to f1 can.. I was going to Sen him the tube to match the pitch of the treads that way I can use all trifexis mounts with the f1 saker and omega (after I get the adaptor

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yea talked to him about the saker Maad mount to f1 can.. I was going to Sen him the tube to match the pitch of the treads that way I can use all trifexis mounts with the f1 saker and omega (after I get the adaptor )

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Had a guy on M4C propose this design. I kinda dig it...looks like a Specwar.

The one change I suggested was to add the notches like a Saker/Omega to let the hook on the wrench grab it. You could add 3-5 of them on the edge of the smooth part of the tube right next to the groove.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
An update on the blast shield. He has a knurling tool that's almost identical to the Specwar/Omega lock ring, and he'll use that on the prototype. Turns out the coating shouldn't be too expensive. He can have a black oxide treatment done to the stainless steel for $150-$200 a batch. So, assuming we do a batch of 100, that's only a max of $2 extra. Also, probably going to go with 1.5" OD, as that's a fairly common off-the-shelf OD so no machining time required to turn them down..as well as it matching most centerfire cans in size.

So, his first estimate is $60. He hopes to have one done by Labor Day, as he has a couple small projects already in line. That's when he'll have a better idea of cost. Once he can show a us a sample, we'll see if we can nail down a better count.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Went to visit the machinist today to pick up some other items and asked about the blast shield.

He said he was hoping by the end of the year. They're just slammed for business right now. He mentioned that if he had somebody else with a lathe, he'd just outsource it at this point, but most of his friendly contacts just have mills.

I have no doubt they'll be worth the wait, both for quality and price, but I just don't know when we'll see them.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am waiting, anxiously, for one of these. He said he was swamped back in mid September. I am sure it will be worth the wait though.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Asked for an update on the blast shields.

He said he's finishing up a batch of 5.56 and 7.62 end caps, 1/2-28 and 5/8-24 DT adapters, and some MAAD adapters. Probably 150-200 total pieces. The end caps will have the caliber engraved. He's sending the whole batch out to be coated black.

Hopefully done next week (not sure if that meant the raw parts, or includes the coating). Either way, the blast shield is next.

As info...he doing this recent work during normal working hours. So, he's either eating some of the profit since it's going on company time, or the costs goes up a small amount. I know last time he just absorbed the increase.

And yes, I'm aware I've posted "blast shield is next" several times, but I can only pass along what he tells me.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
Have you checked to ensure there are no patent infringements? you may want to do that first.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.