6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
During the past couple months I started having feeding issues with my 6.8s. All my mags are ASC and I've had them about three years. I have two 15rd and three 25rd mags. After an aggravating day at the range I inspected all the mags and found they are all bulging when fully loaded. This is causing the follower to bind up. After I strip a least half the rounds out they start to feed fine. When I bought the mags I gave them the customary tweeking and they all worked fine until recently. I always keep them fully loaded until I empty them at the range. Is about three years the life span of an ASC mag?

·
Super Moderator
12,228 Posts
I wish I could answer that. Give them a call and esplain what is happening. Super nice folks. 860-225-3548

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
During the past couple months I started having feeding issues with my 6.8s. All my mags are ASC and I've had them about three years. I have two 15rd and three 25rd mags. After an aggravating day at the range I inspected all the mags and found they are all bulging when fully loaded. This is causing the follower to bind up. After I strip a least half the rounds out they start to feed fine. When I bought the mags I gave them the customary tweeking and they all worked fine until recently. I always keep them fully loaded until I empty them at the range. Is about three years the life span of an ASC mag?
How long did you store with fully loaded?

I keep all my loaded mags 3-5 rounds shy of full. This helps prolong the life span of the spring.

But also tagged since I use ASC mags and nothing else

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:
I called ASC twice and spoke with a lady who stated a Melissa, I think was her name, would call me back with return info. Never did, so in my opinion ASC customer service sucks. I had already purchased, directly from ASC, another 2 15rd 6.8 and a 15rd 6.5 to try. I can load them with ammo fine.

I also bought 2 27rd and 1 15rd PRI mag from PRI's website. The longer mags worked well but the 15rd was defective. The weld was not good and the mag appeared to be twisted. The welded end was also pushed inward making the OAL very short. It would only accept about 5rds before it jammed. Returned it on my dime and they sent another that would only accept 7rds before it jammed. I played with the spring and the follower but the best it would do is 10rds. PRI then sent me another and paid for shipping to return the second mag. The third mag accepts 15rds of ammo fine.

I haven't shot any of the new mags yet so I don't know if I'll need to adjust springs and tweek feed lips yet.

To answer an above question, I kept some of my ASC mags loaded some of the time. The ones I kept loaded most have failed. I have one original 15rd left that is still working but I don't trust it now. Also, to correct my original post, the ASC mags that failed are only about two years old not three.

There has been a lot of talk (discussion, argument) over the past few months of improving the 6.8 industry. I think if someone would make an assortment of 6.8 mags, 5rd 10rd 15rd 27rd, that actually are reliable without having to tweek springs and feed lips that would greatly help the promotion of the 6.8.

·
Registered
63 Posts
How long did you store with fully loaded?

I keep all my loaded mags 3-5 rounds shy of full. This helps prolong the life span of the spring.

But also tagged since I use ASC mags and nothing else
I thought that what weakened springs was the action of compression and decompression, not just compression. I've heard about mags loaded during ww11 that were fired recently that still worked fine. I leave my mags loaded, sometimes for years at a time. Never had an issue leaving them fully loaded. My ASC mags work fine. I have some of them along with cprod, Barrett's, and pri. Actually, the pri mags have given me the most problems out of all the makers. Haven't bought any mags for at least a year or two.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
I thought that what weakened springs was the action of compression and decompression, not just compression. I've heard about mags loaded during ww11 that were fired recently that still worked fine.
Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
wowzers !!!! I must have been asleep for quite some time now... WW 11 !!? I missed #3, let alone 4-10 :a26:

personally, some mags I leave loaded, some I dont--- for the 6.8 I do not leave them loaded, I have had a couple 40 round p-mags loaded with 5.56 for a few years now, all my EDC pistol mags stay loaded, and I have some M1 carbine original GI mags (over 50 years old) and I have had them loaded for over 20+ years... no problems with any mags I have kept loaded, but I do make sure I check them and "exercise" them once in a while

·
Registered
698 Posts
has anyone ever put different springs in their ASC mags?
Good question and it has me thinking. Are the mag springs the same spec for a 6.8 mag as for a 5.56? I truly don't know.

All of my ASC mags have been flawless so far and some have been kept loaded for 6 months at a time or so.

·
Banned
2,342 Posts
back when i carried an M14 i always loaded to 18 rounds, the habit has stuck with me and i always load a few rounds short, not to capacity. it's worked well for 50 years or so and i see no reason to change now

·
Banned
92 Posts
wowzers !!!! I must have been asleep for quite some time now... WW 11 !!? I missed #3, let alone 4-10 :a26:
"I do not know what weapons will be used for ww3, but I do know sticks and stones will be used for ww4."

Good question and it has me thinking. Are the mag springs the same spec for a 6.8 mag as for a 5.56? I truly don't know.
Interested in answer, I was pondering same thing when I 1st saw thread.

One of my 5 round ASC mags took a crap on me, only had for a couple years and only had very light use mainly only for hunting, hardly ever left loaded.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts