6.8 SPC Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Hahahahaha, this forum sure has changed!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Constructor gave me several ideas to try, I chose to polish last.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Just going by YOUR post stating that he said to polish the chamber, you never mentioned anything else he said to try.
I see you complaining and yet you still havent done what he suggested. The things you have tried make sense to fix a timing issue, but the fact he suggested polishing makes me think you should try it. If you try polishing and it still doesnt work then fuss away, I'll even back you up at that point.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
After the AGB, new spring, and the heavy buffer, the gouging of the cases is reduced to mild swipes, but as I stated the rims were bent, deformed, and ripped off from the extractor. The frustration is all the cases that have been destroyed, Fed, Hornady, SSA. I’ve used 2 different factory and then my own recipe, which is widely used by a lot of us for a long time. Stay tuned.

Reactions: sfs13

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
After the AGB, new spring, and the heavy buffer, the gouging of the cases is reduced to mild swipes, but as I stated the rims were bent, deformed, and ripped off from the extractor. The frustration is all the cases that have been destroyed, Fed, Hornady, SSA. I’ve used 2 different factory and then my own recipe, which is widely used by a lot of us for a long time. Stay tuned.
Might help to radius/polish the ejector if it is not already done.

If the cases are sticking (literally) in the unpolished chamber then i can see where the rims would get bent. I have had some bend myself, but never had one rip off.

·
Super Moderator
11,850 Posts
I guess I am confused by what you or your lgs is trying to accomplish with some of the parts installed. No need for a heavy buffer, full auto carrier or heavier spring at all if you have an AGB and have it adjusted properly. Are you adjusting the gas down till it will just lock back on an empty mag?
A very likely reason for the rims being gouged or ripped is that the round is sticking to the chamber wall, thus the need for polishing.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I guess I am confused by what you or your lgs is trying to accomplish with some of the parts installed. No need for a heavy buffer, full auto carrier or heavier spring at all if you have an AGB and have it adjusted properly.
Sell more parts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sorry for all the confusion, I realize this is just bits and pieces, if and when the polish job fixes this, I’ll explain in better detail.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Never understood the used of a heavier springs or buffers if you have an AGB. Makes sense to use them to me if you dont, or its a radial delay blowback like my banshee. Even then I only use a heavier spring, the standard buffer works fine. The BCG does have some weight on it thought.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Ok, so last week I think I might have cracked the case. After getting some friendly ridicule from the forum here, I decided that I wasn’t doing what I needed to do. So, I did some research about ejection issues, timing and case deformation. I came up with... overgassing. But, how can that be? I just installed an adjustable gas block, and adjusted it for bolt lock on final round. Now the gas port per Constructors email to me stated .082. I verified that with a jet gauge and mic. I then compared that to my old barrel, which measured .076. So yes its bigger some, but old barrel is carbine length 16” gas. This is mid 18”. I’m okay with this, agb should handle this. Polished the chamber with Flitz once, and looking at it with the boroscope I could see what I thought might be a rough area. Checking the cases for frosting, technically it was there, but... anyway I grabbed a bore brush and some 0000 and wrapped it and oiled it and ran it again. Looked ok. So I cleaned everything, removed the gas block and sealed it with 290, reassembled all my parts, let it set up overnight, cleaned and oiled it. A couple days later to the range, first 5 rounds I readjusted the gas block for my reloads, and then zerod. Ejects at 3 now, not 1 oclock, slight swipes from the ejector, will rework my load, no cases stuck. Then back to the factory loads, Federal and Hornady...
Flawless, Good ejection, no swipes, no extractor deformation of the rim etc. now what was it? “Dirty Chamber”? Overgassed?
a little of both? Any way I was ringing silhouettes out to 500M with my iron sights in no time. I’m a little puzzled about the swipes on my reloads though, I chrono’d them with my MagnetoSpeed v3 at a very tame 2628 avg. and SD of 7.1
We’ll see, I’m interested to see some improvement over my Stag barrel. Oh yeah, just for science sake, I had cut 2 coils off the new flat wire spring, so I have to buy another new one of those now.
Release the trolls-

·
Registered
815 Posts
There are many reasons that could cause the slight swipes you are seeing with your reloads. Some are: distance of bullet jump to the lands, type of powder, amount of neck tension/crimp, amount of shoulder bump, etc., etc. Any of these factors and countless others can cause a different pressure curve than what you get in factory ammo. "IF" it caused a slightly higher spike than the factory ammo, it can cause a slight that you won't get with a more gradual pressure curve. So, what does it mean? Nothing really. If it isn't tearing up your brass and you don't see any other pressure signs, then carry on and enjoy the rifle.

Reactions: Homebrewer

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Thanks for the intel, I’ll rework the load, as it is a different chamber and such and should be done anyway. Constructor told me the leade on this chamber is .015 shorter so... I’ve ruined a lot brass lately, and I haven’t reloaded in over 2 years. Gouging all that factory loaded new brass was disheartening. Should be fun ? Right?

·
Registered
815 Posts
If its minor swipes or even some good gouges, the brass isn't ruined. Just tumble it with the rest and if it takes off the sharp edges and the rims are in good shape you can still use it.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Of course there is always that fact that the AR was not designed to be gentle on brass cartridges . No matter what you do there will be signs of being fired from an AR unless you really go light .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

41 - 54 of 54 Posts