6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I bought this barrel and a bcg from gaberelli, I swapped it onto my Sun Devil upper/lower set, lgs did the work. Took my tried and true load and tried it out, major gouges from ejector and bolt would not lock up again. After returning to the lgs, and swapping in my m16 carrier, bolt, and buffer, the cycling issue seems to be solved. The bcg provided with a Ruger bolt did not pass the test. Now to rework the load, this leads to my question(s). Are these barrels optimized for a certain pill? What load area are other folks finding their nodes at? What velocities are you getting? It is understood that I have to drop and work up, just looking for the ball park. Thanks

Original load was 28.5 AA2200, Nosler 115 otm, 2.295, Barrett or old SSA, 41s or 450s

·
Registered
8 Posts
I am curious about the same thing. I was looking at getting an ARP barrel. After all the gas issues, and everything else I have read on here with this barrel, I'm glad I did not purchase one. Not sure why they are so highly spoken of when there is topic after topic of issues, and the common denominator is the ARP barrel.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If the barrel and bcg are new and nitrided.......they will need to be "broken in". 10+ rounds will "loosen" things up. A good idea to make sure the gas block lines up with the gas hole. Blue locktite will help seal and secure the gas block.

ARP barrels have a very good reputation. I am looking forward to buying more myself.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I am curious about the same thing. I was looking at getting an ARP barrel. After all the gas issues, and everything else I have read on here with this barrel, I'm glad I did not purchase one. Not sure why they are so highly spoken of when there is topic after topic of issues, and the common denominator is the ARP barrel.
This post should be in the joke thread! Seriously? The common denominator for performance is ARP barrels. Go trollin' somewhere else, idiot!

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
My 18 arp 5R is.......

THESE LOADS ARE SAFE IN MY RIFLES. WORK UP LOADS ACCORDINGLY.

110 Hornady OTM
AA2200 - 29.1
CCI41
2.295” COAL
2727 fps
Sub-MOA accuracy
This flat out kills!

110 Accubond
AA2200 - 28.7
CCI41
2.293”-2.295” COAL
2662 FPS
Sub-MOA accuracy

120 SST
AA2200 - 27.5
CCI41
2.295” COAL
2550 FPS
Sub-MOA accuracy

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have two 18" 6.8 ARP barrels and have not had any issues with them cycling.
My question to the O.P. is, are you using an adjustable gas block?

ARP 18" barrels should have a mid-length gas system.
Now I have five 18" mid-length barreled AR's in different calibers made by different manufacturers. (What can I say, I like 18" barrels for my AR's :a15:)
One thing they all need is an adjustable gas block.
18" mid-length barrels are going to be over gassed. Just the nature of the beast. (One reason the intermediate gas system was designed.)
So if you don't have an adjustable gas block on the barrel, I would highly recommend you install one.

Thanks,
Glenn

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
I have a few questions.
What effects the cycling of the bolt?
Does peak pressure effect cycling?
Does the burn rate of the powder effect the cycling?
Is the pressure curve dependant upon the burn rate, powder charge, bullet weight and gas system length?
Do gas leaks effect cycling?
Does the buffer spring rate effect the cycling?
Does the buffer weight effect the cycling?
Does how the rifle is held effect the cycling?
Does the size of the gas port effect cycling?
If the gas tube blocks part of the port in the top of the gas block does it effect cycling?
Does the diameter/fit of the carrier and tension of the gas rings on the bolt effect cycling?
Does the diameter of the tail of the bolt and fit to the ID of the carrier effect the cycling?
Does the weight of the carrier effect the cycling?
Do you know exactly which combo of parts in all the questions above every single customer will use?
Do you know the exact spec of every single part every customer will use?
Do you know the exact powder charge and bullet every single customer will use?
What size gas ports would you use in every barrel length with each gas system?

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
I agree with geep3.
Why do the people with problems always start with reloads????

ALWAYS start with factory ammo, at least for the first 20-40 rounds. LD didn't mention if his parts purchased were new or used.
LD never mentioned the caliber, assume it is a 6.8 due to bullet weight but could be different.

Pretty sure everyone here who has built one of the ARP super accurate barrels knows that Harrison knows how to build a 6.8 barrel.

Why didn't LD also buy a ARP Super BCG?

Also like many other threads the common denominator is a LGS, as in local gun smith??????

·
Registered
765 Posts
I don’t know if I even have a dog in this fight, unless having 4 ARP 18” and 5 16” barrels counts. All of them shoot sub MOA and all but the first one was built by me. The first thing I did before starting to build was to buy a book on how to build an AR. I got “The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide” and followed the directions. I didn’t have an adjustable gas block until the 7th build and miraculously they all functioned flawlessly with factory ammunition. Reloads have been a challenge at times, but I admit I’m not an expert at reloading. Still I have been able to develop loads for each build that works well and is accurate. As the saying goes, “It’s a poor carpenter who blames the tools for poor results.”

·
Registered
4,870 Posts
Chopperdrvr, it is obvious that you need to buy more ARP barrels. Nine doesn't even qualify as an obsession, although as we say it's a good start.

I started with Shotgun News articles on how to build AR's then did like you, I got “The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide”. Actually much of it is out of date. My first three uppers had the barrel nut put on by a LGS at New Frontier, but I always did the gas blocks.

Pretty amazing paying attention to details you can easily build a sub MOA AR15 rifle for much less than a factory 2-3 MOA rifle.

Of course I always say H doesn't build match grade barrels, just that the perform like or better than match grade. Of course we can also say they last longer and cost less.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Chopperdrvr, it is obvious that you need to buy more ARP barrels. Nine doesn't even qualify as an obsession, although as we say it's a good start.

I started with Shotgun News articles on how to build AR's then did like you, I got “The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide”. Actually much of it is out of date. My first three uppers had the barrel nut put on by a LGS at New Frontier, but I always did the gas blocks.

Pretty amazing paying attention to details you can easily build a sub MOA AR15 rifle for much less than a factory 2-3 MOA rifle.

Of course I always say H doesn't build match grade barrels, just that the perform like or better than match grade. Of course we can also say they last longer and cost less.
I think my wife would argue with you on the level of my addiction. Lol. However, since H doesn't sell match grade barrels I guess there isn't any reason to buy any more from him. Yeah, RIGHT!!

·
Registered
346 Posts
I don’t know if I even have a dog in this fight, unless having 4 ARP 18” and 5 16” barrels counts. All of them shoot sub MOA and all but the first one was built by me. The first thing I did before starting to build was to buy a book on how to build an AR. I got “The Competitive AR15 Builders Guide” and followed the directions. I didn’t have an adjustable gas block until the 7th build and miraculously they all functioned flawlessly with factory ammunition. Reloads have been a challenge at times, but I admit I’m not an expert at reloading. Still I have been able to develop loads for each build that works well and is accurate. As the saying goes, “It’s a poor carpenter who blames the tools for poor results.”
You sir are my hero now I feel justified with 4 6.8 (ALL H's BBLs). I know can go after a few more :)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Don't forget to diversify your stable with a 'cat. TAC6 here. To get even more diverse I added a lightly used 223 Wylde.

My first 6.8 (complete 16" upper from ARP, when they did that)was sticky but at that point in my AR career I had already broke in a new sticky 5.56 so I just thought that's what new ones did.

My 12.5 ARP rocked from first shot.

A (nonARP) 7.5 is still sticky. Still in process of break in.

No issues with the TAC6. Also, I think it runs that same Ruger chrome bolt.

Haven't built up the 18" 6.8 group buy barrel yet. Lack a few parts.

For no particular reason I always consider 100rds for break in.

·
Registered
8,695 Posts
You are right the common denominator is the ARP barrel. I only have 4 in 6.8 and 2 in 5.56 that have not had any problems but have given me at least one .77 inch 5 shot group at 200 measured yards with old SSA factory 115 gr OTM.

·
Super Moderator
11,757 Posts
I have a few questions.
What effects the cycling of the bolt?
Does peak pressure effect cycling?
Does the burn rate of the powder effect the cycling?
Is the pressure curve dependant upon the burn rate, powder charge, bullet weight and gas system length?
Do gas leaks effect cycling?
Does the buffer spring rate effect the cycling?
Does the buffer weight effect the cycling?
Does how the rifle is held effect the cycling?
Does the size of the gas port effect cycling?
If the gas tube blocks part of the port in the top of the gas block does it effect cycling?
Does the diameter/fit of the carrier and tension of the gas rings on the bolt effect cycling?
Does the diameter of the tail of the bolt and fit to the ID of the carrier effect the cycling?
Does the weight of the carrier effect the cycling?
Do you know exactly which combo of parts in all the questions above every single customer will use?
Do you know the exact spec of every single part every customer will use?
Do you know the exact powder charge and bullet every single customer will use?
What size gas ports would you use in every barrel length with each gas system?
A couple more questions: Does the builder have any idea what he is doing? Did he follow tried and true techniques or is he one of those who thinks anyone can build an AR? Well, anyone can build an AR but it helps greatly if you pay attention to what people with experience tell you and do things in the right way so you don't have any of these problems. I think you might find that most people who have the problems are either first time builders or they have only built a rifle or two in 5.56 which are notoriously over gassed so they get away with not sealing things up and doing it properly. I think that (inexperienced builders) is probably the common denominator. Not the barrels.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We ( my wife and I ) only have 3 ARP 6.8s 12.5 -16 & 18 " all three have been swapped between lowers several times . My pistol lower now has a h2 buffer and full bcg and the others have carbine buffers and springs and my wife's has a light bcg . The only problem ever encountered was one SST factory that had been on the tractor in the sun all day . That was a new 12.5 that I had not taken time to clean the chamber and case and primer showed signs of ouch. All three shoot better than I can and my wife's 16" shot a group at 200 I would be proud of had it been 100 .

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
We ( my wife and I ) only have 3 ARP 6.8s 12.5 -16 & 18 " all three have been swapped between lowers several times . My pistol lower now has a h2 buffer and full bcg and the others have carbine buffers and springs and my wife's has a light bcg . The only problem ever encountered was one SST factory that had been on the tractor in the sun all day . That was a new 12.5 that I had not taken time to clean the chamber and case and primer showed signs of ouch. All three shoot better than I can and my wife's 16" shot a group at 200 I would be proud of had it been 100 .

I don't have. adj gas block and I'm a slow learner because last week I left mags in hot sun all day .

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
A couple more questions: Does the builder have any idea what he is doing? Did he follow tried and true techniques or is he one of those who thinks anyone can build an AR? Well, anyone can build an AR but it helps greatly if you pay attention to what people with experience tell you and do things in the right way so you don't have any of these problems. I think you might find that most people who have the problems are either first time builders or they have only built a rifle or two in 5.56 which are notoriously over gassed so they get away with not sealing things up and doing it properly. I think that (inexperienced builders) is probably the common denominator. Not the barrels.
What Woodstock said. There is a process to building an AR and while its not rocket science you do need to know what you are doing. Seems like most of these "issues" have resulted from LGS builds. In my experience the folks working at the local LGS dont always know what they are doing, and many are just plain ignorant. That being said some are great but this day and time they are fewer and farther between.

·
Registered
8 Posts
People getting nasty about my comment. I was curious. I have built multiple calibers with barrels from Bison, Wilson Combat, YHM, Green Mountain Rifle, and never had a single issue when I assembled them. Also to note with all new bcg and gas block from cheap ones to adjustable. I want an ARP barrel, they are highly talked about. I called it a common denominator because I have YET, not saying there are not posts, but YET to come across other posts or as many post like this about other barrels.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
People getting nasty about my comment. I was curious. I have built multiple calibers with barrels from Bison, Wilson Combat, YHM, Green Mountain Rifle, and never had a single issue when I assembled them. Also to note with all new bcg and gas block from cheap ones to adjustable. I want an ARP barrel, they are highly talked about. I called it a common denominator because I have YET, not saying there are not posts, but YET to come across other posts or as many post like this about other barrels.
H ports his barrels properly and not overgassed like many do. If you seal your gas block to the barrel you shouldn’t have any issues. They are still ported with a little to spare but you need to use care in the build to ensure you get all the gas. He has even stated that his personal barrels are ported smaller than what he sells so there is no issue with the port size.

With an over gassed barrel you just throw in a GB and go to town. Of course it’s harder on parts and usually needs more expensive adjustable GB or heavy buffers to correct.

As with any barrel run a drill bit by hand to check and make sure the port is fully clear.

When it comes to handloads some powders won’t work with certain gas systems. For example very fast powders don’t work well with rifle gas systems as they don’t have enough pressure. Constructor covered much of that in his previous post.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts