6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two ARP 6.8 barrels and they're fantastic. I decided to replace one of my 5.56 barrels that I couldn't get to group well with an ARP 18" 223 Wylde.

I'm excited to break it in and see what she can do with some handloads.

Just curious if anyone has any experience with buffer weights for this barrel. I typically run H or H2 in my 5.56 guns, but this is my first with a rifle length gas system. Are people just using carbine buffers? or should I stick with an H.

I'm sure I could figure it out when it arrives, but I thought I would ask the forum's experience while I wait for the barrel to be shipped.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I often switch between a lower with a standard and one with a H buffer and have experienced no problems . Either will probably work so unless you just like to spend money wait and try the H .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just took out my new ARP 18 inch barrel last night. I was expecting good results (based on my 6.8 barrel experiences) but this thing is crazy accurate. Only about 100 rounds through it so far but I was still blown away.

I want to stress, these were handloads but were not made for this rifle. This is just a load I developed for another rifle. No fancy shoulder bumps or seating depths. While it was my best group, It wasn't a fluke either, all of the groups were under 1 MOA.

This weekend I plan to work up a load for the rifle with Hornady 75gr BTHP.

5 shots at 50 yards with a Strike Eagle 1-6x.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
61 Posts
That's a beautiful group! These are really nice barrels. I have a 20" ARP 3R Wylde. I don't reload, but when it shoots half to a third moa all day long with factory Hornady Black .223 75 gr BTHP, I'm quite happy with that. My most accurate rife. I'm the weakest link for sure. Got 2500 rounds through it and is just as accurate as ever.
I've only used 3 oz carbine buffers and springs in my 3 ARP builds, for both 6.8 and the .223 Wylde. Thats what H recommends too. Never had a problem, but I use AGB'S in all of them, set the gas to about half, or whatever holds the bolt back on empty. A heavier buffer or stronger springs would need more gas. I like the recoil response with less gas if I can get it.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I generally shoot surpressed and find an H2 keeps gas off my face and out of my eyes better. YMMV

1 - 7 of 7 Posts