6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just checking Midway USA and saw there were selling factory seconds 6.8mm Remington SPC (277 Diameter) 115 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged) bullets. Price is $0.16 per bullet.

Experienced 6.8 reloaders, do you think these are decent bullets at a reasonable price?

I'm looking for an inexpensive bullet to get my feet wet reloading the 6.8.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts

·
Registered
8,933 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Based on the OAL of 0.994 and the cannalure, I believe they are Hornady bullets that have been discontinued. They are not Nosier Custom Competitions, because their dimensions are not the same, and are not Sierra Match Kings because the Match Kings do not have a cannalure and are a different length as well. If I'm not mistaken, these bullets are loaded in the Remington Express 115 OTM. I think I have some on hand and will pull a bullet to compare.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
I was just checking Midway USA and saw there were selling factory seconds 6.8mm Remington SPC (277 Diameter) 115 Grain Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 100 (Bulk Packaged) bullets. Price is $0.16 per bullet.

Experienced 6.8 reloaders, do you think these are decent bullets at a reasonable price?

They are Hornady and Hornady HPBT bullets in any caliber are notoriously inaccurate and, because of the oglive shape most often have to be loaded short to the cannelure at 2.245" (Hornady's recommended COL). In most calibers, if you load them long, because of their shape, they will be in the lands.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
They are Hornady and Hornady HPBT bullets in any caliber are notoriously inaccurate and, because of the oglive shape most often have to be loaded short to the cannelure at 2.245" (Hornady's recommended COL). In most calibers, if you load them long, because of their shape, they will be in the lands.
Really?

Then why does ARP recommend the factory Hornady 110gr HPBT as the ammo to use to test accuracy?

Or why is my load of the 110gr HPBT sub MOA across 3 barrels?
29gr of AA2200 or 1200R at 2.28, 2.285 or 2.29 OAL, Rem brass, CCI 250 primer .6 to .8 MOA
Same load same results with Fed brass CCI 450 and 28.8gr of either.

·
Banned
1,955 Posts
Really?

Then why does ARP recommend the factory Hornady 110gr HPBT as the ammo to use to test accuracy?

Or why is my load of the 110gr HPBT sub MOA across 3 barrels?
29gr of AA2200 or 1200R at 2.28, 2.285 or 2.29 OAL, Rem brass, CCI 250 primer .6 to .8 MOA
Same load same results with Fed brass CCI 450 and 28.8gr of either.
You're lucky I guess.:confused:

Frankly, I've never had any luck with commercial Hornady 110gr HPBT rounds in any 6.8 I own or have owned. Bison, PSA, RRA, or DPMS barreled. Maybe it's an ARP barrel thing? I bought a bunch when I first started with 6.8's and after the results I got I just shot them up for the brass. Why ARP recommends them to test accuracy is a mystery to me.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
You're lucky I guess.:confused:

Frankly, I've never had any luck with commercial Hornady 110gr HPBT rounds in any 6.8 I own or have owned. Bison, PSA, RRA, or DPMS barreled. Maybe it's an ARP barrel thing? I bought a bunch when I first started with 6.8's and after the results I got I just shot them up for the brass. Why ARP recommends them to test accuracy is a mystery to me.
Interesting, those loads were worked up in a Bison barrel. They shoot the same in 2 ARP barrels.
Just the ARP barrel being the same length is faster.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Lol that's the first time I heard someone say the Hornady 110 HPBT is a bad bullet. I get great accuracy with these bullets and even killed pigs with them.

·
Registered
690 Posts
110 OTMs

I shoot the Hornady 110 OTM with really great results. I shoot them out to 700 yds out of my 20" ARP Target Crown. With a good wind call and me doing my part i can hit a 7x11 chunk of steel. Full size silhouette's i can hit almost every time. I think we just find it odd you're not getting the accuracy out of them. But hey, shoot what works for you and your bbl.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
The H110 hpbt is my target bullet of choice as well. I can hold MOA out to 500 meters with it and a stout charge of H335 out of my 24" Shaw barrel. I run them at 2800 fps and really like them too.

But, I can believe that a certain factory load just doesn't work for someone. 120sst were well over 2 MOA out of my barrel at 100 yards, just didn't shoot well at all.

-Alexander

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Doesn't it depend on your perspective? Yours being reloading. I sure don't want to be on the business end of it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts