6.8 SPC Forums banner

AR308 build almost done... Here are some pics and info

3K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  redyak3 
#1 ·
So I grabbed up one of those Breaststroker X-Caliber fluted 16" 308 barrels to get started.

Here is the scoop...
16" Stainless Fluted 1:10 twist X-Caliber Barrel
ARD NiB BCG (one of few that works with forward assist on PSA uppers)
Odin Works Adjustable Gas Block
PTAC receiver set (grabbed on sale and zero complaints)
Midwest Indust Handguard
PSA Enhanced trigger set
PSA PA10 build kit for lower and upper parts but swapped trigger group (see above)
Ambi selector

* In need of muzzle device and def going to put a different stock and grip on it.

Currently weighing in at 7lbs 9oz without magazine, 7lbs 13oz with unloaded mag.

Only snag I hit was installing barrel. Barrel extension was very tight so I used a little red scuff pad action and some lube and went right in. Have not fire it yet since I just finished yesterday but that will hopefully be this weekend!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
tell me how you like that odin works adjustable GB--- I'm thinking about trying one out---I'm changing all my side screw gas blocks over to front screw type for easier adjustment access

#4 ·
Update: With a little help....well a lot of help, I have just ordered a titanium break for this build and for a future pistol build.

I could not find them on eBay because I was searching for 308 and AR10 muzzle devices when they were also listed under Rem 700.

Below is a currently active link to eBay for the brake I just picked up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-Preci...828926?hash=item1c5debf47e:g:l3oAAOSwHQ9WZeef

#5 ·
Your 16" fluted barrel must be the big diff between yours and mine: I have very similar parts (PA10, etc), but my barrel is 18" Anderson and mine is just shy of 9 lbs with empty mag. This is with a Matech and UTG front flip up site. My handguard is 15" but it's pretty light ... feels thin and kinda frail. I can see it being upgraded someday.

I finished my first .308 build about a month ago. I pieced it together ('on the cheap') over several months. It looks pretty nice, seems to shoot fine, but it's heavy.

-

#6 ·
One thing I learned from all the light build thread... Everything adds up. I'm with you, went on the cheap within reason over time.

2" longer non fluted barrel, few inches in the handguard, etc. I have not thrown sites on yet which will bump it up. I am more than likely going to put a different stock on (Magpul STR perhaps that I'm waiting to come from a member here). What are you using as a brake?

#7 ·
That 16 inch X-Caliber match grade barrel only weighs 36.6 ounces with fluting. The Anderson 18" lists as a HEAVY barrel at 2 pounds, which is BS! It probably weighs 48 ounces. Still the 22-24 inch 308 barrels often weigh 3 to 4 pounds and are not more accurate.

Buell056, that is a nice build, use a 10 round MagPul magazine which is very lite. Once you use a Super Stoc you will never go back to heavier ones that rattle.

That spiral titanium brake is great for recoil reduction and doesn't need to be clocked.

#8 ·
Thanks! I've been checking those Super Stocks out actually. I usually go with a Magpul STR for that same reason of locking in and taking up slop. I may have to go that route for this one.

I grabbed a few Magpul 10 rounders from PSA last week actually; dropped free nice too.

Thanks again for all the advice and your research helping everyone out here.

#9 ·
I have a combo muzzle device I found on Amazon. It has 3-ports for muzzle brake, no holes for comp but it also has threads for a removable shroud for concussion redirection -- both seem to work fairly well. The shroud weighs 1.25 oz and I'm pretty sure the break is about 3-4 oz. It also came with a thread-nut thing (and crush washer) for easy timing and removal. Or maybe I added the crush washer. (I'm guessing it 'works well' in the same way an A2 works when compared to a bare crown)

Do you think drilling a few holes in the top of the brake is a foolish thing? Seems kinda lame to have a decent brake with no holes for comp. This 'set' was $48 ... IIRC.

(I use this to keep myself straight: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...muzzle-brake-a-compensator-and-a-flash-hider/)

...but now I've discovered titanium muzzle devices. damn you alll....:a22::a32::a12:

#12 ·
You are way off, it's $655. But if you can get it with a 10% mil or LEO discount. It only cuts 8 ounces (HALF a POUND) off the next lightest receiver and 12-13 ounces off the majority of other receiver sets. There are several 16 to 20 inch fluted 308 barrels that will make a 6.5 to 7 pound AR 308 easy.

That's over a pound less than the AR15s of 2-3 years ago.

#13 ·
And that spiral titanium brake will only cut 4 to 5 ounces off your so called brake that really won't cut recoil, only cuts noise and doesn't compensate.

Another big drop in weight is the aluminum or titanium takedown/pivot pins. The steel 308s are HEAVY. I prefer the 2A titanium with holes drilled into them.

Can't remember the amount but they may save over an ounce.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.