6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Wilson Combat has several calibers to choose from. 308, 243, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, & 338 Federal if you really want a hog hammer. 338 Federal ammo is hard to come buy. If you find some buy a lot. If you reload buy components when you can find them. I have a Aero Precision AR10 set with a Wilson Combat 16” .338 Federal and I shoot Federal 200 grain fusions. Hog Hammer!
I've been reading up on 338 fed, I'm leaning this way... And I have been looking at wilson's barrels.

·
Registered
8 Posts
So I'm building my new AR15 with this MEGA Billet set I ordered and I was like: "this magwell seems really big, that''s odd". So when the lower is done and it's time to put my new AR15 Performance Barrel in the upper, I grabbed a mag and was gonna check how tight I had the mag release and it's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway....

Dumbass, bought an AR10 set.

So now I need an AR10 barrel! Any suggestions? 6.5 creedmore sounds great, but anyone got any other suggestions on a better round?
First I would decide what you're going to use your AR10 for; hunting, long range, all around, etc. You've got a new frame that could be any or all of these options plus. Other factors to consider are cost, weight, cartrige availability, optics, reloading components, etc. For all around, I would go with .308. Deer hunting, .243 or 7mm-08. Long range, 6 or 6.5 creedmoor. Whatever you decide, you're going to have fun putting together and shooting!

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Long range would be an almost no-brainer, 6.5 Creedmoor. 338 is as mentioned a medium range thumper, good for any NA game within appropriate range. The 358 is just flat out crushing power at short to medium range and easy to develop accurate loads from 180gr - 220gr soft point bullets and 200gr AB bullets. 35cal bullets really put the hurt on the target! Handloading greatly enhances its potential. I used a 20" Xcaliber barrel for mine and it's 'same hole' accurate.

·
Premium Member
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ok, so .338 federal... in a shorter barrel? like 12.5"? Anyone see an issue with that as far as accuracy and all that? Still want 1moa at 100yards. If 12.5" would effect that then I would go longer.

Just brain stormin.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
If anything, a shorter barrel will be inherently more accurate because it will have less “whip”. Honestly, though, doesn’t really mean anything. Some barrels shoot great, some don’t, no matter the length. You’ll have to try it and see what you get.

·
Premium Member
1,035 Posts
I think it was designed for longer barrel lengths and that short of barrel may lose a lot of velocity and feature a lot of noise and fire out the end of a short barrel. Most seem to favor at least 20" that I see but 16" seems to work ok

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I dunno if I can even get .338 federal ammo now that I look. .308 is probably best to stick with since I already have 3 rifles chambered in it.

·
Super Moderator
12,713 Posts
If I were looking I would buy that LR GII the H has for sale with all the extra barrels.

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I think it was designed for longer barrel lengths and that short of barrel may lose a lot of velocity and feature a lot of noise and fire out the end of a short barrel. Most seem to favor at least 20" that I see but 16" seems to work ok
308 surprisingly doesn’t lose too much down to 16”. 338 Federal would lose less, and probably not a huge amount down to 12”.

Now noise and blast will most likely be huge in a 12” 338 Federal.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was just able to chronograph my 338FED build, using a 16” WC barrel. Load was resized Nosler 308 brass, CCI 200, 45.5 IMR8208XBR, and 185 BSP Midway overrun projectiles, averaged 2489fps, with 3.2mil of drop at 550yrds according to my ballistic calculator.
My 20” AR308 shooting factory Hornady Precision Hunter 178 ELDX averaged 2571fps

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm in the process currently of obtaining the remainder of the parts for my 13.5" 308WIN for me personally. I got the barrel from South Texas Arms, and haven't decided if I want to wait on their receiver sets, or if I want to grab a cheapy Aero M5 build kits with their fancy camo pattern/paint scheme... I want to go with a Centurion Arms 7.62MLOK rail though for the handguard, so I'm still debating. But the plan is if that 13.5" works as well as I think it might, I want to build a lightweight longer version in 7mm08 so that I can use it for use in the mountains for mule deer or white tail, or shoot, even a cow elk. But I am starting it off as a shorty 308 just because all the reasons listed above hahaha.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts