6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm building my new AR15 with this MEGA Billet set I ordered and I was like: "this magwell seems really big, that''s odd". So when the lower is done and it's time to put my new AR15 Performance Barrel in the upper, I grabbed a mag and was gonna check how tight I had the mag release and it's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway....

Dumbass, bought an AR10 set.

So now I need an AR10 barrel! Any suggestions? 6.5 creedmore sounds great, but anyone got any other suggestions on a better round?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
The Mega (now Zev) Maten ("Ma Ten") receivers have a good reputation.

6.5 Creedmoor is a good cartridge so if you don't already have a 6.5/.260 in the stable this could be a good excuse to add the caliber to the line up, but it really depends on what you want to do with it. You building a blaster, hunting rifle, precision/DMR, long range paper puncher, silhouette ringer or something else? Do you reload?

Maybe sit on it a bit until we start seeing 6.8x51 barrels come out?

I will put in a plug for Rainier Ultra-Match barrels (available in .308 or 6.5 Creed) if you want a precision rifle. I've got two in .223 Wylde on my small frames and they are fantastic.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you want something different, ive been pretty interested in the 338 federal. Otherwise 308 IMO. Or as Boiler stated, wait for 6.8x51 or maybe even a 270-08.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I built my AR10 in .243. But only cause I had a pile of brass and reloading components for it. Otherwise I probably would have done it in 308 just cause it’s (was) easy to get components for it.

·
Registered
I got guns, you got guns, we all got guns! Free to the bone, please do not f**k with me.
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This 6.8x51 is very interesting to me.... think I'll look into that. Not in a hurry. Awesome suggestions, thanks.

·
Registered
356 Posts
This 6.8x51 is very interesting to me.... think I'll look into that. Not in a hurry. Awesome suggestions, thanks.
It will be interesting to see how this round performs with various bullets. I wonder if it will be picky as to loads it likes. SIG optimized it for max velocity using only a couple of bullets (supplied by the Army). They maximized case capacity and kept case diameter and OAL the same as the existing military 7.62x51 cartridge to make it work in existing weapon systems. When compared to many of the cartridges introduced in the last 15 or so years (the "post-Creedmoor era") it has a relatively short and sloppy freebore (0.033" long and 0.001" oversize). Most modern cartridges designed allow a significant section of bullet shank to extend beyond the case mouth and a corresponding longer section of tight freebore to assure that the bullet aligns well with the bore during rifling engraving. Although for a given OAL this shortens the case and reduces capacity slightly, current thinking is that it also makes the cartridge overall more accurate with varying bullet and powder combinations.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another thing to consider is the barrel length. I'd like this to be a quality barrel, at 16". So around 1moa @ 100 yards, short and easy to handle. Dunno how well a 16" performs with these longer cartridges, but if it's possible to stick with 16" and get that, I would like to. But I can consider 18" also.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bill Marr at Rifleshooter.com has a bunch of articles in which he measures velocity of various cartridges as he cuts the barrel shorter and shorter. You might find the info interesting.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I just noticed that Bill Marr got silly and moved the 308 barrel over to a pistol receiver continued to cut it down to 6". Spoiler: it was very, very loud. This is my favorite quote from the article: "Me on the other hand, I’ve spent the last 18 years trying to find that fine line between hard and stupid my Platoon Sergeant used to talk about."

·
Registered
268 Posts
Another thing to consider is the barrel length. I'd like this to be a quality barrel, at 16". So around 1moa @ 100 yards, short and easy to handle. Dunno how well a 16" performs with these longer cartridges, but if it's possible to stick with 16" and get that, I would like to. But I can consider 18" also.
Through some reading- I have read the 338 fed works well in an 16-18” barrel- 18 being a little better.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Well, the M5 Spear in 6.8x51 will have a 13" barrel, so....

I think your instincts are right. If you want to stay at 16" you probably want a .308 or larger bore. I have an 18" Wilson Combat 7mm-08 build but really don't have enough experience with it to say much about it.

But you still haven't told us what you actually want this rifle to do?

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, the M5 Spear in 6.8x51 will have a 13" barrel, so....

I think your instincts are right. If you want to stay at 16" you probably want a .308 or larger bore. I have an 18" Wilson Combat 7mm-08 build but really don't have enough experience with it to say much about it.

But you still haven't told us what you actually want this rifle to do?
Oh well.. a little of this, a little of that?

Kinda like a "battle rifle", good for popping a pig or a deer while driving around the ranch. Maybe with a thermal. Something light enough to comfortably use on the go. I've got my Revolution for the .308, it's a great AR15. But this... This could be something really cool. Even Awesome. 338 Federal would be sweeet. Never heard of the .358 win. Likeing this 6.8x51. That seems ideal but looks like I'll need to wait for a good barrel and bolt? I'll build the rifle up without a barrel and see where it leads me.

I'm all about a precision long range rifle, but I would prefer a bolt action if I'm going that route.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s pretty cool ringing steel at 1000+ yards. If you are interested in long range precision shootin, definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I can hit 1200+ yards with my Creedmoor. My 308 gets unstable around 800 yds.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It’s pretty cool ringing steel at 1000+ yards. If you are interested in long range precision shootin, definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I can hit 1200+ yards with my Creedmoor. My 308 gets unstable around 800 yds.
Exactly right. Just finished a 2 day precision rifle course. A few 308s, mostly 6.5 Creedmoor and a 6mm Creedmoor. The 6mm Creedmoor blew everyone away, even the instructors who compete in PRS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
So I'm building my new AR15 with this MEGA Billet set I ordered and I was like: "this magwell seems really big, that''s odd". So when the lower is done and it's time to put my new AR15 Performance Barrel in the upper, I grabbed a mag and was gonna check how tight I had the mag release and it's like throwing a hotdog down a hallway....

So now I need an AR10 barrel! Any suggestions? 6.5 creedmore sounds great, but anyone got any other suggestions on a better round?

Wilson Combat has several calibers to choose from. 308, 243, 7mm-08, 6.5 Creedmoor, & 338 Federal if you really want a hog hammer. 338 Federal ammo is hard to come buy. If you find some buy a lot. If you reload buy components when you can find them. I have a Aero Precision AR10 set with a Wilson Combat 16” .338 Federal and I shoot Federal 200 grain fusions. Hog Hammer!

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've built lots of AR 10s--biggest thing that is often overlooked is the COL that you can practically get into the magazine. Plan ahead. I built a 284 win that just barely fits--if I had the time to make a good magazine I'd build a 280 AI--surprised nobody has done it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts