6.8 SPC Forums banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always lap to nice even ring. People not using lube are dumb. Back when I use to mount backup iron sights to every rifle, I noticed consistently my rear sight would be more centered compared to the builds I did before I lapped. I also noticed that timing barrel nuts was easier. I have since lapped every upper I have assembled, which is easily over a hundred.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Constructor got it. Torque to desired ft/lbs, then tighten to the next hole.

I'm not under any mistaken idea that there is any "perfect" barrel assembly method. I just do what I do that works

Were I building some target rifle that I had to guarantee met some accuracy standard, I'd probably do things differently.
I haven't built (assembled?) hundreds of AR's. Each of them (probably 15, give or take) has been a learning experience that I enjoyed immensely.....and hope to "assemble" many more! LOL!

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
The upper I just did was squared and barrel installed in about 10 minutes, Squared, wiped off, "blue" added to the barrel, grease added to nut, nut on and hard as I could.
I'd have the upper DONE if it weren't for Palmetto state delay on my gas block!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have only built 3 uppers i have the parts 4 a fourth minus barrel bolt as i am positive on caliber i want. but the tac30 and tac 6 are consistently 3/4 inch or under 3 shot groups. all day long. the other upper built for my son. not even sure what barrel he bought. just a blaster for him.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Constructor got it. Torque to desired ft/lbs, then tighten to the next hole.

I'm not under any mistaken idea that there is any "perfect" barrel assembly method. I just do what I do that works

Were I building some target rifle that I had to guarantee met some accuracy standard, I'd probably do things differently.
I haven't built (assembled?) hundreds of AR's. Each of them (probably 15, give or take) has been a learning experience that I enjoyed immensely.....and hope to "assemble" many more! LOL!
Only if desired torque is 30_35 lbs . The object is to line up the tube /nut with the nut tight enough but not too tight . When you get past , 80- 85 you are really straining the aluminum threads . From 35 to the next hole is normally within the range . If you don't need to align the nut go around 50 and be happy .

Sent from my LM-K920 using Tapatalk

41 - 46 of 46 Posts