6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The gun/hand loading bench is in need of a few "extras"... What tools would you get for an AR tool kit?

·
Registered
170 Posts
A Constructor or a Tim. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts
Empty Brass said:
A Constructor or a Tim. :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
+1

I suggest an AR multitool, upper/lower vise block and torque wrench and punches if you don't already have those.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Question about an upper reciever vise block.
Can you attach the upper reciever to it and take a barrel on and off
with out worring about snapping the vise block
I've seen pictures of them and they look a little puny/weak

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Good observation. Some upper vice blocks are just for minor assembling like rails, sights, scopes, etc and not good for barrel swaps or installation. Others support the receiver in high stress areas for barrel installation and removal. Read the product description before you buy. What does Constructor use? Or Tim_W? Anyone else with a recommendation?

·
Registered
409 Posts
i've seen the plastic looking ones
I saw couple steel upper receiver blocks over at midway
that hook to the pictanny rail or flip over and they pin it to the upper

I haven't changed a barrel out but i would like to have tools to work
on my AR for just incase

I have a gun show up here in KC MO this next weekend and i want to
pick up a few things to add to my kit any ideas wood be great

·
Registered
606 Posts
I've watched the AR assembly videos that Brownell's has on their site. They use what looks like a plastic upper vise block and it seems to do just fine. It doesn't look like there's a whole lot of pressure put on them during assembly or disassembly of the upper and barrel.

·
Premium Member
6,322 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
angsniper said:
The upper vise block I use encases the entire upper receiver. It's not the on that slips in the under side of the upper.
It works real well for flat tops and A2 receivers.
Brownells sells an entire tool kit for the AR.
Vise blocks, barrel vise blocks, roll pin punches, regular punches, rubber mallet, good cleaning stand, Multi-tool if the Brownells thing is too much $$$.
And the most important tool of all

THE AR-15 COMPLETE ASSEMBLY GUIDE
by
WALT KULECK
with
CLINT MCKEE

Plus some common sense.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I agree with the Brownells comment. Their tools are the BOMB. Get a good set of punches and some roll pin punches. The barrel vise I use is the aluminum one from Browhnells. No problems so far. I bought their AR15 armors kit several years ago with some tax refund money and have found it to be money well spent.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts