6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really hurt my ears years ago by too much shooting without ears and I noticed that my ringing in the ears gets worse for weeks whenever I shoot without it. I was thinking of something along the lines of tactical hearing protection, maybe even something that can plug into a two way radio like my trunked 800mghz hand helds or the vhf radio on the boat for when you are running fast and hard to get to the fish but you still need to talk to your crew and or hear the VHF.

what, where to buy, and how much

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hearing protection is mandatory; I like the Sordin Supreme Pro's...other folks prefer the Peltor Comp-Tac's. Both work.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Yes, if using an ar. (Are they louder than other weapons?) When deer hunting here it can be pretty chilly so us the spring/plunger type ear plugs so hat/hood can be worn, they are better than nothing. When getting the muzzle out the window of the blind noise is not objectionable with my bolts/single shots but the AR just kills my ears even with barrel outside blind. Of coarse for target, full size muffs are worn with all, having severe tinnitus I wish not to aggravate it any more than it is.

Gary

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes, I'm not very old...but my hearing is already suffering from too much shooting when I was younger without protection. I use these while hunting...I find that they actually amplify the ambient noises and make hearing things easier, but they cut out the harsh gunshot noises.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/holeimspelea.html

...got mine at Cabelas though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Check out this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4410

I just wore my new SureFire EarPRO Sonic Defenders duck hunting today. They're great!

Good shooting,
desmobob

·
Registered
120 Posts
Depends on the hunting I am doing.
Deer hunting no I dont.
Rabbit hunting with a handgun, YES, shots are often and ussally more than 1 shot is fired.

·
Registered
12 Posts
coldair said:
maybe even something that can plug into a two way radio like my trunked 800mghz hand helds or the vhf radio on the boat

I forgot to mention that I saw a product that had this capability when I was searching for a solution to my hearing protection problem. I wish I could remember where I saw it.... It was set of electronic muffs with a jack for connecting comm gear. If I remember where I saw it, I'll post it.

Good shooting,
desmobob

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I dont when hunting, usually, I am going to start though, I plan on trying to use my peltors and Surefire have new ear pro out as well.

I always wear ear pro at the range, or at work.

·
Premium Member
3,090 Posts
Yes, Absolutely I do, and I refer a lot of my patients to the ENT's for audiograms, when they have not.....Here's mine:

-approx 33 dB NRR, and it screws on easily to most of my weapons. It also happens to make my guns slightly more accurate, but I am pretty sure the goofy things you stick in your ears don't.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I wish it was legal to hunt with a suppressor. Since it's not, I've got a set of Walker Power Muffs. They amplify sound slightly louder than without the muffs, keep my ears warm, are tunable to cut out wind noise, and shut down when you shoot.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I absolutely do.

If I dont have time to slip in the ear pro, I usually have a hat/beanie hat over my ears which is better then nothing.

I learned early about hearing loss, family members are ENTs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Always, my ears ring like crazy as it is. I use the silencio red-e-fit 32nrr plugs. I just got a pair of the SSI micro hearing enhancement and protection plugs. Haven't had a chance to use them yet though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
No..... and I have the extremely loud ringing to prove it. Actually, it was the 29 Classic I bought when I turned 21 that brought the ringing on. But the ringing has a good effect.... it tunes out the wife when she's talking disparagingly at me from the next room. I do use ear muffs with ear plugs to delay my unavoidable coming deafness while target shooting. Don't let yourself get to the point of permanent ringing as it gets annoying and painful after a while.

·
Premium Member
715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well I didn't get hearing protection before going hunting, I stuffed dried cherries in my ears, but the rules were 78 points or better so I let the 7 pointer go. doe tags start tomorrow but I have company in town so I came home early to spend time with my family

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have the Peltor sport tacs and they work well, they also have an audio adapter, but I think it takes a special adapter to use with most radios. I haven't worn them in the past, but may start now.

·
9,188 Posts
I have the continuos ringing also to go along with the chorus of voices that I always hear. :shock:

Using the lehigh audio muffs and they seem pretty decent. Didn't use any before and that is where the ringing came ffrom plus all the noise at work.

Still trying to figure out where the voices came from though they won't leave.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts