6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try Winchester Deer Season XP 6.8?

Specs look good, cost I can deal with for a HUNTING cartridge.

I saw a box and grabbed one, some one always buys out the LGS of 6.8 ammo. Other Alternative was The Horady 120 SST about the same price of $40 a box.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts

above links to the terminal performance testing I conducted. I couldn't get the XP to shoot accurately enough to finish all my test points. I hope they are accurate in your rifle.

·
Registered
680 Posts
My experience is very similar to Xman’s testing. I’ve tried them in a few different cartridges and rifles. I could only get them to group accurately in one 308 win rifle. In the one rifle, they grouped very well. Everything else was pretty poor.

The terminal performance on hogs and deer is very similar to the SSTs. The XPs might fragment more but into slightly larger pieces.

If I could get them to group as well as the SSTs, I’d use them. I have about a dozen or so kills with the XP‘s, mostly hogs, a large Whitetail buck and a cow elk (head shot), but only in 308. Everything went straight down.

I am a glutton for punishment, I just picked up two boxes yesterday to try in a couple new 6.8 SPC barrels. I don’t have high hopes they will group well.

Let us know how they work for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts