6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I'm new here and was just wondering if anyone here is running Liberty cans on their 6.8? I'm beginning to find there is a lot of misinformation out there surrounding the 6.8. Like 6.8 SBRs are hard on cans? Though I've seen plenty of folks running them without issue. Which is one of the main reasons I've joined up here.

So I've recently come to a time in life where I am able to afford to get a few things I've not been able to acquire before. At the top of my list, is a dedicated rifle/upper for night time. After a lot of research and deliberation, I settled on the 6.8 as the cartridge I want to run. Will be running a Pulsar XQ38 for an optic backed up by a used low hour PVS14 mounted to a bump helmet, left eye, for when I need to move. Being in rural WV, this will hopefully serve me well on optics. Which will basically be used for coyote and just being able to see around my property at night.

I have been lusting after one of ARPs 12.5", 3R, 1:11.25 barrels at the heart of this rig coupled with some sort of short can. This will be my first can purchase so I don't have much experience with them.

I have been leaning towards Liberty, they have good prices and features. The can I'm leaning toward is their new 762HR can which, will be on the heavier side, but durable and affordable. Or possibly one of their Mystic line, though I like to keep this stuff as simple as possible.

Anyways, any thoughts or recommendations are welcome. I also would be interested to hear from 12.5 ARP barrel owners who are running cans. It seems to be a popular barrel so hopefully some of you guys have some first hand experience and can dispel some of the myths about the SBR'd 6.8s being hard on cans?

Thanks...

·
Registered
765 Posts
Sorry, I don’t have an SBR yet. The main thing to research before you commit to a particular can is what is it rated for and what are the minimum barrel lengths. I have three different cans and each one is rated for at least a 12 inch barrel. Some day I will pull the trigger on another ARP build. (Yuk, yuk, get it)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cans are finite wear items, some are just more durable than others. I have an M4-2000 that's going on 10 yrs old and still works well.

Powder and velocity will affect can wear, but realistically is a 6.8 that much more overpressured compared to a hot 556 in a short barrel?

Anyway, any rifle can should be SS or inconel for the first baffle or two, after that it varies. You might want to look into a form1 kit as there is a whole new world out there without the 12+ month wait.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts