6.8 SPC Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
Not to get off the subject but aren't the seats mounted backwards on those in the picture? Seems like the seat would have to be over the long leg or it would just flip over when you sit on it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I don't have that specific model, but I will attest to the fact that it is nice to have these portable benches. I don't remember the brand that I've got, but it looks very very similar. My feedback on them- great for sighting in before season, when you don't want to lay down in tall weeds or in tick-infested grasses. Is it the most stable for long range accuracy? No. I find that any movement I have in any part of my body gets amplified as I'm shooting, since everything is connected. Maybe this one is more sturdy than what I've got, but I'm not sure. For general sighting in and plinking, I love mine.

Woodstock - Mine is the same tripod design. No leg is longer than the other, and the seat swivels so it can be anywhere. I'm a bigger guy, and I've never felt any tip worry no matter where the seat is positioned.

·
Super Moderator
11,796 Posts
These appear to have a longer leg opposite the seat and the legs aren't evenly spaced. If that is the case the seat would need to be over the longer leg to counter the weight of the shooter. It may just be the aspect angle of the photography. Either way it doesn't look very stable to me but I have not used one.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If you prefer to roll your own, these folding sawhorse legs are awesome, I used a bunch to build traveling kiosks for fairs and such and also some sawhorses for the shop. Made in the USA and support a 1000#'s per set. You just have to supply the wood for the top and a seat. You can also buy the kit off the "Rugged Buddy" website, but its MSRP $ is way high. http://www.amazon.com/Target-Precision-RB-H1034-Sawhorse-Complete/dp/B00005A1KE

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Not to get off the subject but aren't the seats mounted backwards on those in the picture? Seems like the seat would have to be over the long leg or it would just flip over when you sit on it.
picture from caldwell seems to support your theory

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes the legs are even and from the reviews I've read they are very stable. I'm just torn between the Stable Table at $179 or shelling out he extra dough for the better built BR Pivot model at $449.

The stable table has a 1" padded seat that people say is uncomfortable compared to the 4" padding on the BR Pivot model, The table on the Stable Table is smaller and i worry it might be to small to place front and rear bags and have a comfortable lean into the rifle plus it doesn't have the extended table to the side like the BR model does. The Stable Table only has one adjustable leg compared to all three on the BR. one thing the Stable Table has going for it that i think is better than the BR is the way the seat adjusts with pin holes, the BR relies on a bolt that is basically a set screw that tightens down onto the column, well, its doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that a metal bolt is going to dent the aluminum column every time you move the seat and putting a bunch of dents in it over time will probably make it difficult to remove the seat for transportation. The BR has little pads on the legs and the stable table doesn't so dirt will end up into the legs.

I'm thinking i can buy the cheaper Stable Table and do the mods myself to make it better like putting a bigger top on, pads on the legs, make all three adjustable, maybe put a swivel boat seat on it with a back, but the fabricator in me says why don't you just build one from scratch and make it even better, lol.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A buddy had one that he used on prairie dog trips for several years with great success. But, he had it modified with bearings in the lower pivot and an adjustable tensioner. The only issue he had was the sound of wind whistling through the adjustment holes in the shaft - could sound like an eerie flute. We did have to pry his butt off the seat with a crowbar every day or two.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went to the local Cabela's this morning and picked up the Stable Table and my suspicions were true.
Although its a nice table the mods i plan to do to it will make it better.

Planned mods:

1. Adding the swivel pads to the bottom of the legs. just to keep the hollow ends of the tubes from filling up with dirt.

2. Removing the small uncomfortable seat that's only about 11" in diameter with very little padding and adding a swivel boat seat a little farther back away from the table to allow for a better lean into the table.

3. Possibly removing the square plastic top and adding the L shaped wooden top from my homemade bench.

I'll post before and after pictures of the project. just need to find the right seat that will be the easiest to make work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts