6.8 SPC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Loaded some hornady 68gr HPBT and shot it this weekend and it shot well. Load was 24.5gr with Cci41 at 2.25 length. Load was compressed. Question is when I seat the bullet I get a ring around the the bullet just below the tip. Using hornady custom grade die.any one else have this issue with seating?

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
the bullet is showing where the bullet holder is pressing harder on the compressed load.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the bullet is showing where the bullet holder is pressing harder on the compressed load.
First time reloading 223 (just been shooting factory bulk stuff and saving the brass). I load .308 with varget and 178gr amax compressed and don't have this issue.... hornady list a specific seater for the amax in all the different calibers because the ogive is different on them, but like I said I don't have an issue with my rcbs dies in 308.... just wondering if anyone had this similar issue or not. Accuracy seems decent at 100 yards

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Only loaded 6 rounds because of the ring i got on the bullet... shot two 3 round groups and they both look like this nearly identical

·
Registered
899 Posts
I've been wanting to try some Varget with my 69 grain BTHPs but around Lubbock it is pretty hard to find for a decent price. I heard Varget is the go to powder for the 69-77grain pills.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been wanting to try some Varget with my 69 grain BTHPs but around Lubbock it is pretty hard to find for a decent price. I heard Varget is the go to powder for the 69-77grain pills.
Yea I got a good stash because I use it for my remmy 700 in 308.... photo was the only load I loaded because I didn't know how much it would impact accuracy with that ring. I'll load more and shoot it to see what a 5 round group holds.... but as of now I would call it .5 at 100yards maybe less??? I will be trying 77gr bullets as well

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
It works well in 30-06 as well (though not as much MV as IMR-4895) It is a good all around powder.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
With the 77 gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets, I get a light ring. Nothing like yours. But don't get them with the Nosler 69 gr Custom Comp bullets. I use Dillon 5.56 steel dies. The loads being less compressed with CFE may have something to do with it to. I would try and polish the stem that pushes the bullet into the case.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Here's a photo of one of my 5.56 reloads with 69 gr Nosler Custom Comp. Next to it is a reloaded 270AR with a 115 gr Custom Comp bullet. No ring on the 5.56.

Ammunition Bullet Gun accessory Brass Metal

·
Registered
89 Posts
I use H-4895 for 65 and heavier bullets.
It works very well with sierra 65 game kings.
They are the best hunting bullet for me and they make a very good defense load.
I seat them at 2.28 and worked it up a half grain over Hodgdon data.
Primers showed no sign of high pressure.
Putting your brass next to a sonic toothbrush or vibratory tumbler will settle your powder a lot to prevent compression on your load.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
With the 77 gr Nosler Custom Comp bullets, I get a light ring. Nothing like yours. But don't get them with the Nosler 69 gr Custom Comp bullets. I use Dillon 5.56 steel dies. The loads being less compressed with CFE may have something to do with it to. I would try and polish the stem that pushes the bullet into the case.
Polished it already... I guess I'll wait till I get the amax stem in and see how they do

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I just ordered some nosler 77gr cc from shooters pro shop.... hope they shoot well out of my arp 18in socom fluted....

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Try the load data listed in Nosler's manual (or their online load data site for 5.56 Nato) for those 77 gr Custom Comp bullets with Varget. I checked my records last night for my 77 gr load but couldn't find anything. I've misplaced since relocated by reloading equipment to a new room. But almost positive I followed the load data in my Nosler book since it's one of the few that has data for that bullet. Nosler list Varget's powder range between 22-24 grs with 2.260 OAL. Can't recall which primers I used but it may have been Fed Match AR. Brass was once fired LC.

If you get a chance, try Nosler 69 gr Custom Comp bullets. No rings, 1/2" groups with 24 grs of Varget via my ARP 2.23 Wylde barrel. 24 gr is in the middle of the powder range for Varget. I get similar groups with CFE but can't recall if the powder is slightly more or less.

I've had great luck with the Custom Comp bullets. They are my preferred plinking bullet for my ARP .223, 6.8, LWRC Six8 and my ARP 270AR. I usually get 1/2" groups at 100 yards with those bullets. And since most of the ranges I go to don't allow FMJ, the Custom Comp bullets have become my preferred bullet. I usually buy the 1000 round over run boxes at Shooters Pro Shop when available.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
23.2 of 8208 for the 75/77 bullets. Will wear out the 10 ring with that load.

-Alexander

1 - 20 of 27 Posts