6.8 SPC Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a sightmark mspec with a 2moa dot on my one 6.8 and I can shoot right around moa groups at a 100 yards. The problem with a red dot for me is I hunt in thick areas with lots of trees and branches and deer love showing up in low light. With a red dot it's hard to make an ethical shot unless they pop out in a nice clearing. I use a 2.5-10 on my other 6.8 it's way easier to look through the woods at a deer. If you jump a deer walking in then a red dot is better but once your sitting down hunting I think a scope provides the advantage

·
Registered
15 Posts
You all may want to look at pa cyclops prism. I am buying my 3rd cyclops acss reticle at 1X power. the old ones weigh 9 oz and new ones 7 oz including mount. Its black if your battery runs out and much more ckear than dots in my experience. the gooffy moon around it frames your target. cant say enough and cheap too.

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
One of my 6.8's is equipped with an EOTech EXPS3-4 and a 3x magnifier. Works great and I can shoot MOA out to 100 - 150 yds easily.
(Yes I just quoted you from 2018...LOL)

I love my Vortex Strikefire II and 3x magnifier on my 10.5 SBR, but you are a better man than me if you can hold steady at 150yd
I have too many areas that are grown over thick and most is about 50-60yd of clear shot anyway.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Well, I didn't say how many sandbags it took to hold steady. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: zztopman1

·
Registered
645 Posts
Sig Romeo 5 Red dot can turn it down and the dot stays small as far as you can see. Best red dot i have used

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was going through my pictures from last year and I found this screen shot of a doe a shot. I spotted her walking into my stand at about 85 yards. I had just a big enough gap through the mountain laurels and a tree to take the shot. This is my scope turned up to 10x , if I had a red dot there's no way I could have made this shot.
Head Eye Twig Window Tints and shades

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm slowly building up a 6.8 for hunting in western NC and Florida. Thinking about going with a red dot to save weight and help speed up close in shots, terrain keeps shots short in my location. Would a 2MOA dot be a poor choice inside of 150 yards? How many of you use dots? What brand and model?
That ACSS cyclops is 1X but super clear once you adjust paralax. I can shoot 1 moa at 50 Yds without much trouble. I have used it to hit IPSA targets at 250 agsinst better than most using optics in tactical games squirmish and I am no gift to shooting sports. Again 7 oz

·
Premium Member
1,231 Posts
My red dot results from today, range shooting @ 50yd ( I hate ranges) w/10.5 SBR

BTW, at 50yd my red dot was as big as the center red circle

White Textile Rectangle Font Art

Could have been better but it'll hit a deer where I want it to.... That's all that matters

Here's my scoped 16" ... I'm happy and confident this year

Rectangle Art Font Material property Symmetry

·
Registered
166 Posts
My red dot results from today, range shooting @ 50yd ( I hate ranges) w/10.5 SBR

BTW, at 50yd my red dot was as big as the center red circle

View attachment 73713

Could have been better but it'll hit a deer where I want it to.... That's all that matters

Here's my scoped 16" ... I'm happy and confident this year

View attachment 73714
I used to hate ranges until I found the Tonto Rim sports club range.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use an Aimpoint PRO on one of my 556 and a holosun on my 300 BLK. And the ranges I hunt in the river bottoms, no more than 100 yards, and shot placement, red dot is plenty for what I need and does the job well

21 - 31 of 31 Posts